Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A newbie, feeling lost!

A newbie, feeling lost!

Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:12 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: A newbie, feeling lost!

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Er, we're supposed to be cheering him up you know...............
Better not tell him how much we paid for our 5 bedroom house then.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

welcome welcome...if someone had told me 3 years ago that the first 3 years are the worst that would have been it for me. Thank god I didnt know!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:21 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman

You need a 5 bedroom house - that's the worrying part.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:32 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
You need a 5 bedroom house - that's the worrying part.
We're hoping to knock up another room in the attic next year. AFTER MY new garage naturally. Priorities and all that.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:37 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

We're hoping to knock up another room in the attic next year.

Er, family's not growing is it?
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:55 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jabba1
Indeed, this is a ponderance that requires further study on my part. I shall digress to your wisdom in this matter, kind sir.
Indeed it does Sir. See to it old chap
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:11 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lostman
Hello everyone,

Well I have just moved to Oklahoma about 3 months ago on a k1 visa, just filing for green card now and work permit.

I was just wondering if anyone came to the USA to be with their girlfriend and marry her and if they suffered from homesickness, feeling of regret, sadness and worry that they made the wrong choice, especially as things are made harder by not being able to work etc. Well I feel like that and worry everyday about my decision! Is this normal?

Thanks!
Yep... It hits us all occasionally... but you'd probably be asking yourself the question "Why did I stay in the UK? " if you didn't move over here. It's very normal, and eventually you jsut get used to living somewhere erlse.. Even if it is Tornado Alley and has a musical named after it ! .....

Welcome to the boards btw. As you guessed, we're all a bit mad on here (not the 'merikan 'angry' version - the insane one :scared: ), and at times the conversations seem to get a little sidetracked from time to time... but that';s normal too.... as the others will testify, abnormal is normal here. HAve fun and join in, we're not that bad really.

PS - the pub near you sounds good !
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Lostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant future

Ok fair enough Oklahoma and cool in the same sentence is stretching the mark a bit. But it has everything I need; and I have never met such a friendly bunch of people, they all must think I am the rudest grumpy person in the world as coming from London you tend to keep to yourself a lot more and not really used to the 'have a fantastic day' or the hugging instead of shaking hands.

The main cause of my anxiety is missing family (very close, especially sisters) and the guilt of leaving them and seeing how my dad especially burst into tears, when he never cries! I think resentment does play a role, as was mentioned, and just the feeling of worthlessness and imprisonment in the sense that I can't visit other countries or family without prior permission or until I get my green card....Booo!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:16 pm

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

5 bedroom ? you making all the kids share rooms with each other ? Now you've got enough for a 7's rugby team, are you stopping or trying for the entire football team ?
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:17 pm

I think resentment does play a role, as was mentioned, and just the feeling of worthlessness and imprisonment in the sense that I can't visit other countries or family without prior permission or until I get my green card....Booo!
I'm also from S.London so I know what you mean. Plus the sitting around for agers waiting for an EAD gets to you after a while LOL..... I got to know all my neighbours whilst I was sitting on my front portch for weeks on end when I first got here. So I guess it can be good for something.

Last edited by TN-Dave; Dec 20th 2005 at 2:17 pm. Reason: my spelling sucks....
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:41 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Ok fair enough Oklahoma and cool in the same sentence is stretching the mark a bit. But it has everything I need; and I have never met such a friendly bunch of people, they all must think I am the rudest grumpy person in the world as coming from London you tend to keep to yourself a lot more and not really used to the 'have a fantastic day' or the hugging instead of shaking hands.

The main cause of my anxiety is missing family (very close, especially sisters) and the guilt of leaving them and seeing how my dad especially burst into tears, when he never cries! I think resentment does play a role, as was mentioned, and just the feeling of worthlessness and imprisonment in the sense that I can't visit other countries or family without prior permission or until I get my green card....Booo!
I'm also from London and after London any surburban town in the US is difficult to adjust to. Eventually you do though. I was sitting around for about a year until I finally got my EAD and green card. If you want to visit the UK, apply for the advance parole travel document. Although by the time I got that I also got a date for my green card interview.

Don't worry, it gets better with time! This forum is good for a sense of belonging!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 3:40 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! I've been here just over a year & to be honest, I'd rather be elsewhere, but that's what you do when you love someone. I've been with my American hubby for 6 years now, married for 5, but have only lived here just over a year due to my hubby being in the US Air Force. Once he got out, we moved here, I've promised to give it a few years & then see how I feel. I suggest you do the same, give it some time & see how you feel. In the mean time, come on here & talk about stupid sh*t with us!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

TaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to Oklahoma, Lostman! Don't listen to the others - Oklahoma may not be LA or New York City, but you're correct when you say the people are friendly and I can honestly say I'm happy with my decision to move here.

What town do you live in? I'm not familiar with the pub you mention.

Don't worry about the tornadoes either. Unlike earthquakes, you get plenty of warning and time to get out of the way. I've been around quite a few and for the most part they're nothing to worry about. After you've been here a while you may even find yourself out in the street watching which way the twister will go before deciding whether or not to duck in the shelter! LOL.
Again, welcome to Oklahoma! You have the right to be homesick, I think we all do to a certain extent, but you get used to it after a while. Ask yourself whether you glass is half full or half empty
Old Dec 20th 2005, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by TaffyinOK
. Ask yourself whether you glass is half full or half empty
I'll have another if you're buying ?
Old Dec 20th 2005, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

TaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
I'll have another if you're buying ?
How 'bout a game of darts? Loser buys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.