Newbie!

Old Jan 22nd 2012, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

AHarris05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie!

Hi guys,

I'm sure you're sick of these "I'm new, I need help!" posts, but hopefully someone takes some pity on me and shares some insight.

Well I'll give some information about myself before I go asking for help. My name is Adam and I'm originally from Blackpool, England (Now you know why I'm looking elsewhere!) I am currently on a 'soccer' scholarship over in the USA, studying for my MBA in management. I am currently in a long term relationship with an American girl, and obviously there's the option of marriage for visa and I've read over the forums about that. But I don't want to get married for a visa, for obvious reasons, so here is my basic plan (and questions!)

I am due to graduate in may 2013, so I have plenty of time to explore options and network etc. My plan is to internship this summer, hoping to network and possibly be offered a position pending my graduation. However, I realize the chances of this are slim, due to the whole sponsor/cost issue. Although I do believe having an MBA puts me closer to achieving this, or at least I hope so? I'm sure you guys know more about that than I do.

Anyways, so after graduating I plan on using my OPT year to HOPEFULLY work within the company that I manage to get an internship with. By that time my girlfriend and I will have been together close to 5 years, although I already know I want to marry her, I've always stood by the fact that I want to be comfortable and 'set-up' before getting married.

So here are my questions, and I apologize in advance if they've already been asked. There's a lot of information on these forums and it would take a lot longer to sift through the threads I could use, rather than ask and hope someone takes a moment of their time to help me out;

As an international student can I take a paid internship? (I can ask my intl advisor at school, so don't worry about this one unless you know off the top of your head)

Realistically, what are my chances of being sponsored with an undergrad and MBA, with some* work experience? (hopefully the internship will significantly improve that too)

Should I be looking at specific companies to intern with? I.E avoiding solely US based companies? I am applying to intern at American Express as a Corporate/Business Development intern.

Finally, and probably the most time consuming, could someone just bullet point for me the process of marriage. Fingers crossed, we stay together and I eventually propose. My question is, if I planned to do it during my OPT year what would be the process? Would I need to go home to apply/do a medical/interview?

My aim, is for everything to run as smooth as possible and be proactive about it. Obviously I cant plan every eventuality, but if possible I'd like to be able to remain in the country and keep a job.

For example, If they were unable to sponsor me, but I was in the process of getting married then what would be the process? Can leaving the country be avoided?

Thanks in advance, I hope to be a useful member of this community, so whatever help I can provide don't hesitate to ask. Obviously my skills and knowledge are pretty limited, but I can help with scholarship processes and MBA stuff!

Adam
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 9:48 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie!

I like the questions with simple answers.

GET MARRIED!
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I don't like this forum for advocating marriage so readily. But if you've already been gf/bf for 3-4 years (trying to read between the lines) then it does sound the obvious answer. It will be so much easier than all the uncertainty with the options you suggest.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 10:17 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the others, your best bet is to get hitched...
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AHarris05
But I don't want to get married for a visa...
If you get married, you won't actually need a visa! That said, there's a lot to be said for getting married so that the two of you can live in the same country!

I've always stood by the fact that I want to be comfortable and 'set-up' before getting married.
Respectfully, it's an admirable sentiment... but usually not practical when dealing with US immigration.

Finally, and probably the most time consuming, could someone just bullet point for me the process of marriage.
Easy... just get married. Your (then) wife files forms I-130, I-864, and G-325A. Concurrently, you file I-485, I-131, I-765, and another G-325A. Some fees, some backup documentation... and you're set. With luck, you'll have a green card inside of 6-8 months.

Would I need to go home to apply/do a medical/interview?
No... it'll all be done in the US.

Ian
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

Haha, well thanks for putting it in perspective for me guys.

Ian, thanks for the detailed response, but I have one question regarding your answers.

Say for example (and fingers crossed ) I were to propose and she say yes. If the process takes longer to complete than the end date for my OPT year, would I have to go home? Or are you able to reside/work within the USA while the paperwork you mentioned is processed? I've read on the marriage forum that you can't stay in the US while the stuff is being processed. Also theres a time gap between being engaged and actually getting married, so at which point do you start doing the paperwork?

That's really my main issue regarding the marriage option, the timing of everything.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, well thanks for putting it in perspective for me guys.

Ian, thanks for the detailed response, but I have one question regarding your answers.

Say for example (and fingers crossed ) I were to propose and she say yes. If the process takes longer to complete than the end date for my OPT year, would I have to go home? Or are you able to reside/work within the USA while the paperwork you mentioned is processed? I've read on the marriage forum that you can't stay in the US while the stuff is being processed. Also theres a time gap between being engaged and actually getting married, so at which point do you start doing the paperwork?

That's really my main issue regarding the marriage option, the timing of everything.
Once you are married, you do an adjustment of status (AOS) which allows you to remain in the US. However make sure you do that early enough to all for the EAD to be processed so that you can continue to work (about 3 months).
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Realistically, what are my chances of being sponsored with an undergrad and MBA, with some* work experience? (hopefully the internship will significantly improve that too).
If the job market picks up and employers need people, your chances increase over many others since you will be able to use the H1-B US university post graduate quota generally runs out of it's quota later than the normal H1-B quota. Also you will be in the US so you will be able to network more easily than someone in a foreign country. But nobody knows what your chances will be.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Michael, I didn't know there was a student sub category for the H1B, I'll look into that.

Yea I'm hoping the economy picks up a bit! I just prefer the H1B road over marriage because at least then I can say I proposed for myself and not just to stay in the country. But as someone said earlier US Immigration doesn't really care about that!
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Michael, I didn't know there was a student sub category for the H1B, I'll look into that.

Yea I'm hoping the economy picks up a bit! I just prefer the H1B road over marriage because at least then I can say I proposed for myself and not just to stay in the country. But as someone said earlier US Immigration doesn't really care about that!
I believe you are eligible for that quota for the rest of your life even if you leave the US and later apply for a job.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 11:57 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

By that time my girlfriend and I will have been together close to 5 years,
How long do you think the test drive should be?

Marry her and stop messing about.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fatbrit
How long do you think the test drive should be?

Marry her and stop messing about.
He still doesn't know about the warranty and repair costs.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 12:04 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
He still doesn't know about the warranty and repair costs.
You don't get to know that till you've signed the contract.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 12:08 am
Just Joined

Hahaha, less of the pressure! We've only been together close to 2 years now, I meant 5 (if we were to stay together ) by the time my visa's run out. There's nothing to say she'd say yes anyway! especially as a poor student/fresh graduate!
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 1:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You really should spend a few minutes reading over the immigration forum here, there's a Read Me thread that's stuck up top, it has a link to a lot of the info you want, broken down by simple steps, so it's a good way to get the details and your head around the marriage routes.

Welcome to BE too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.