Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:02 am
Just Joined

sarah_grant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default newbie

Hi,

Just looking for some advice. Some back ground would possible help you understand out situation.

My husband has applied for a job in Saratoga Springs, just out side Albany, NY. He had a 'chat' with the guy who is doing the hiring about 2 weeks ago, and since then we have been waiting to here back if the company want to employ from the uk. He heard back on Friday that he has a formal interview with them via skype at some point this week.

We are both very excited about the idea of moving to america, but Ive 101 questions about visas, renting, taxes, health care, credit ratings etc but where can I start? Ive been reading some of the wiki links and I cannot believe how much info is out there I dont think I actually have the time to think about it all

Is there such a company that sorts everything out for you? It seems like a mind field. It seem like its one of the hardest places to move too?!

Any suggestions where I should start would be GREAT!

Thanks

Sarah
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: newbie

Hi Sarah, and welcome to the forum.

My husband's company has an office in Saratoga Springs and it's supposedly lovely.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about any of the finer details until you are sure that (a) your husband has got the job and (b) that the company are prepared to go through the hassle and cost of the visa application. I don't want to be too negative, but often companies aren't aware of the process and money involved, and when they find out they can rethink the idea of bringing someone in from abroad.

Certainly visas are something that this forum can help you figure out though (as well as the rest of it once you've got the visa sorted), what does your husband do?

Good luck!
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
that the company are prepared to go through the hassle and cost of the visa application. I don't want to be too negative, but often companies aren't aware of the process and money involved, and when they find out they can rethink the idea of bringing someone in from abroad.

)
Thanks for the quick reply,

We had to wait over two weeks to find out if he was getting an interview as they have employed non US folks and it hasnt work out, ie the people choose that living in the usa wasnt for them, but they know the process/money involved. they wouldnt interview him if they werent willing to go through the visa process.

He is a web developer, what kind of company does your husband work for?

sarah
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:28 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sarah

We move to Houston in a few weeks with OH work. As far as I'm aware there isn't a company that does everything for you, but there are companies that help with all the different bits. We had an immigration lawyer that drew up the paperwork for the US embassy, a moving company to pack, ship the airfreight and seafreight and unpack at the other end, a realitor to help us look for a property, an overseas advisor, the list goes on and on. As we are moving through work, all the people were supplied by work, but they are outside agencies.
I'll go through your list:
Visa - depends what sort of visa you are applying for, see the visa section for a great guide. Immigration lawyer did paperwork for us but there is still forms for everyone whose going to the US to fill in. Then you go for a visa interview at the US embassy in London.
Renting - we have a serviced apartment organised while we look for a property to rent. You need a realitor for this. We couldn't even view some of the areas without a realitor to get us past security. This might just be Houston though!
Taxes - sorry, can't help as we are expat and pay tax in UK with an offset.
Health care - Hopefully your partners work will provide family healthcare but you'll need to check package.
Credit rating - You can open an Amex card in the UK and they will transfer your credit rating with them to the US. It wasn't hard for us to open the US bank account but credit card is more like a debit card to start with.

Hope this helps and good luck. You'll get loads of good advice on here if you decide to go ahead with the move, I have been given loads!
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

I had no idea you had to go for an interview, we would be going out on a works visa, I know it would mean I cant work but with kids who are 2 and 1yrs, I dont want to be working. Would it just be my husband who needs the interview or would I have to go to??

I really want to be all excited about the possible move, we really want a new start, but I like to look at things practically, and it seems like we are 'opening a can of worms'.

Looks like Ive got my work cut out.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sarah Welcome to BE.

It's all a little scarey huh? Just breathe As soon as you find out for sure if hubby has the job offer in the bag, then you will have many specific questions and we all happy to answer them if we can. While you are waiting you could skim through some of the older posts, do a search in the search option in the yellow bar at the top of the page, you can refine your search to specific items, like schools, visas, relocation etc. Or do a more general search.
There is also the Wiki's, there is a whealth of info in those about relocating.

Good luck, just ask if you need any help with navigating the forum
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:35 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya
Sorry, didn't mean to scare you! I can only really tell you about our interview.The interview was for all of us. The 3 of us went to London for it, even our toddler. It took 2 1/2 hours but most of that was queuing. We got called to the first booth where they went through all your paperwork and make sure you have everything. Then we got fingerprints done. Then you get more paperwork to complete and go to pay your processing fee. Then you wait again to be called for your interview. Me and the toddler were asked nothing at all, OH got asked what his job was. Then you pay the additional dependants fee and merrily go on your way. You have to wait for your passports and visa to be returned which they say can be between 3-4 weeks.
I'm a beginner at the visas thing, but I think there are different sorts of work ones. Ours is a L1 and I can apply to work if I want to. The visa section folk will be able to help when you get further down that road.
I'm not going to lie, it is a lot of work, but then so is moving within the UK. A lot of the hassles are the same, the packing, the meeting new people, finding out about new areas. You might be lucky like us and find a lot of it is done for you by your partners employers. If not, plenty of people on here have done it themselves.
If it was me I'd try not to worry too much until you have a firm job offer and you can look over it in full.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarah_grant
Thanks for the quick reply,

We had to wait over two weeks to find out if he was getting an interview as they have employed non US folks and it hasnt work out, ie the people choose that living in the usa wasnt for them, but they know the process/money involved. they wouldnt interview him if they werent willing to go through the visa process.

He is a web developer, what kind of company does your husband work for?

sarah
Hi Sarah,
I'm a bit curious about the bolded part of your quote.. do you have any deeper idea about what happened? It's not something we normally hear.

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly!
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarah_grant
He is a web developer
That might be a tough sell to get a visa since there are thousands and thousands of out of work web developers already in the country. It will depend a lot on his experience and the type of job it is.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Weeze
Hiya
Sorry, didn't mean to scare you! I can only really tell you about our interview.The interview was for all of us. The 3 of us went to London for it, even our toddler. It took 2 1/2 hours but most of that was queuing. We got called to the first booth where they went through all your paperwork and make sure you have everything. Then we got fingerprints done. Then you get more paperwork to complete and go to pay your processing fee. Then you wait again to be called for your interview.
If you're coming in on a non-immigrant visa you don't have to take your children to the interview at the embassy if they're under 14
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Since he doesn't already work for that company in the UK, the employer will likely be applying for a H1-B visa for him and you and the children will be on a H4 visa. There are 65,000 of those visas available annually and normally they have to be applied for on April 1st for work starting on October 1 of that year because they are usually grabbed up very quickly. However during the past two years (because of the economy), companies haven't been using up the full quota so I believe there are currently some of those visas still remaining.

I believe he doesn't have to start work on October 1 on a H1-B visa but can start later in the year.

Good Luck.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
If you're coming in on a non-immigrant visa you don't have to take your children to the interview at the embassy if they're under 14
That's annoying as the US embassy told us to take our toddler too! I think she would rather have been somewhere else for 2 1/2 hrs. We even have to fill out of of those form thingies for her. Another set of folk from OH work are there tomorrow and they have been told to take their 2 under 14s along as well.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Weeze
That's annoying as the US embassy told us to take our toddler too! I think she would rather have been somewhere else for 2 1/2 hrs. We even have to fill out of of those form thingies for her. Another set of folk from OH work are there tomorrow and they have been told to take their 2 under 14s along as well.
I don't know what to say...except how pointless it is to bring them! I left my kids with the inlaws "oop North" which is just as well as our appointment was at 8:30 in the morning so we drove over night to get there. They never even spoke to me in there and just asked the kids ages.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE

Have a read through the wiki and immigration parts of the forum to get an understanding of the process.

Company will have to take care of the whole visa, just realise it'll likely be a H1B, which is rather expensive and wouldn't allow you to work etc.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:15 am
Just Joined

beckyw73 is just really nicebeckyw73 is just really nicebeckyw73 is just really nicebeckyw73 is just really nicebeckyw73 is just really nicebeckyw73 is just really nicebeckyw73 is just really nicebeckyw73 is just really nice

Hi we went through the visa process recently, my husband had applied for an L1 visa and myself and 2 children went through on an L2. We went to the embassy but was not required to take the children. We arrived at 7.45am for our 8.30 appointment and was out of there by 10.15am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.