Old Sep 6th 2004, 3:59 am
Just Joined

Freestyler is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Newbie

Would just like to say hello. I just found this forum. I have been in the U.S. for almost 4 years, and this is a Godsend. I'm living in Mississippi with my wife and 3 kids. Living here is certainly a challenge, especially with having to pay for medical stuff (???) and driving on the wrong side of the road. Anyway. I'd just like to welcome myself to the forum
Old Sep 6th 2004, 4:07 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie

Welcome aboard. I hope you'll like it in here, it's great to talk to people from back home. The board is great for those times when you get a little homesick for Blighty too!

Daniel
Old Sep 6th 2004, 4:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
Welcome aboard. I hope you'll like it in here, it's great to talk to people from back home. The board is great for those times when you get a little homesick for Blighty too!

Daniel
Thanks Daniel,

I could go on all night and day about the differences between here and the UK, but I won't. Put it this way, I have mastered the art of crumpet making, but the sausage here is just no good for sausage rolls. Pork pies is next on the list . It has taken me almost 4 years to stop turning onto the left hand lane of the roads!
Old Sep 6th 2004, 4:12 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Freestyler
Thanks Daniel,

I could go on all night and day about the differences between here and the UK, but I won't.
We talk about that a lot here, makes for some interesting conversation I can tell you!
Old Sep 6th 2004, 4:15 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

...It has taken me almost 4 years to stop turning onto the left hand lane of the roads!
Now that's just bloody scary! Probably a good thing you never ran into me (figuratively speaking) when you were in the UK!

Welcome to the board but please, warn me if you're ever planning to drive in Texas, and I'll stay of the roads for the duration!
Old Sep 6th 2004, 4:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Now that's just bloody scary! Probably a good thing you never ran into me (figuratively speaking) when you were in the UK!

Welcome to the board but please, warn me if you're ever planning to drive in Texas, and I'll stay of the roads for the duration!
Don't worry i'm over it now, I can stay on the right-hand side of the road. I never was a good driver in the UK either. I was born in Liverpool and lived there until I was 19, then I moved here to live with my wife. It was hard getting used to life here. What amazes me is how it can be 50 degrees when you get up and 110 degrees by midday. Since I got here I have learned to fix cars, kill wasps and ants and lay my own water pipe. My previous boss called me the British redneck
Old Sep 6th 2004, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Hugh Jaas will become famous soon enoughHugh Jaas will become famous soon enough

I was born in Liverpool and lived there until I was 19, then I moved here to live with my wife.

Hiya matey, welcome. You're not wrong this whole forum should get a like a Knighthood or something. Like your self I'm well glad I stumbled upon it.

LiverpooL? I lived in The Wirral, New Brighton for years. Lived in Everton whenI was at Liverpool John Moores Uni. All the best!
Old Sep 7th 2004, 2:38 am
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Daniel,

I could go on all night and day about the differences between here and the UK, but I won't. Put it this way, I have mastered the art of crumpet making, but the sausage here is just no good for sausage rolls. Pork pies is next on the list . It has taken me almost 4 years to stop turning onto the left hand lane of the roads!

You have to add to the sausage to make good sausage rolls. I add lots of breadcrumbs, snipped chives, sage, parsley and egg. Today I tried a new recipe and to that lot I added some ground mace, ground nutmeg and ground corriander and they tasted even better. They're still not quite like the ones from home but much better than nothing at all. Also I use Jimmy Deans sausage as a base (the one in the tube and not the spicy one) and Pepperidge Farms puff pastry sheets from the frozen food section.

Can you give me the recipe for crumpets in return plz? My kids and hubby all love them.

Emm.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 2:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Emm
You have to add to the sausage to make good sausage rolls. I add lots of breadcrumbs, snipped chives, sage, parsley and egg. Today I tried a new recipe and to that lot I added some ground mace, ground nutmeg and ground corriander and they tasted even better. They're still not quite like the ones from home but much better than nothing at all. Also I use Jimmy Deans sausage as a base (the one in the tube and not the spicy one) and Pepperidge Farms puff pastry sheets from the frozen food section.

Can you give me the recipe for crumpets in return plz? My kids and hubby all love them.

Emm.
Thanks, I'll try the sausage rolls when I get a chance. I made some for my wife and kids using regular Jimmy Dean Sausage with nothing added. They all loved them, but I didnt. I think the dark brown sausage meat instead of pink is enough to put me off Anyway, the crumpet recipe I use can be found here http://www.searchforgoodhealth.com.au/crumpet.htm. It works great but beware, it seems to take a lot longer for them to cook than they say.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 2:00 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, I'll try the sausage rolls when I get a chance. I made some for my wife and kids using regular Jimmy Dean Sausage with nothing added. They all loved them, but I didnt. I think the dark brown sausage meat instead of pink is enough to put me off Anyway, the crumpet recipe I use can be found here http://www.searchforgoodhealth.com.au/crumpet.htm. It works great but beware, it seems to take a lot longer for them to cook than they say.

Thanks for the crumpet link, I now have it bookmarked and will try it when I find out where to get crumpet rings from.

BTW I forgot to say that I usually add a dash or two of worcestershire sauce to my sausage mix. I have to say that theses sausage rolls are also brown, I don't know if it's possible to make the pink variety, which are probably made using beef sausage meat. I like the brown sausage as then I know it's cooked (the pink ones always make me feel like I'm eating raw sausage meat) so it doesn't bother me.

Emm.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Would just like to say hello. I just found this forum. I have been in the U.S. for almost 4 years, and this is a Godsend. I'm living in Mississippi with my wife and 3 kids. Living here is certainly a challenge, especially with having to pay for medical stuff (???) and driving on the wrong side of the road. Anyway. I'd just like to welcome myself to the forum
Hi there... glad you joined us!

I've been here for just under 6 months now, and am living close to Memphis, TN. Where abouts in MS are you? As has been discussed many times before here - it is always a culture shock of course- but the in the South it certainly increases tenfold!

Do you like living in Mississipi, in general?