Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Yorkers, Is the Met, MoMA and Guggenheim to much for one day?

New Yorkers, Is the Met, MoMA and Guggenheim to much for one day?

Old May 16th 2011, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

sykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant future
Default New Yorkers, Is the Met, MoMA and Guggenheim too much for one day?

I am planning a long weekend trip to NYC. Our initial plan is to have a day shopping in hitting Tribeca, through Chelsea and visit some museams, particilarly the Met, MOMA and Guggenheim. We don't mind making a full day of it IE 9:30am at the Met and leave MoMA at 8pm.

I realize everyones' museum pace is different. We don't want to have to power walk through the museums but nor are we the kind to sit and ponder each piece. We would be happy to skip certain sections like renaissance and folk art. Our main areas of preferred style is from the impressionists forward but would take a quick run through all sections if we had time.

I'm getting a bit long winded here, sorry.

Cliff notes: How much time should one allow for a good view of each of the following: the Met, MoMA and Guggenheim?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by sykes; May 16th 2011 at 12:54 pm.
Old May 16th 2011, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

nsdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nice
Default Re: New Yorkers, Is the Met, MoMA and Guggenheim to much for one day?

I'd say its optimistic at best, that being said it really does depend how long you spend at the museums. Generally when I have visited each museum takes 3 hours or so plus the time to get there and so on.
Old May 16th 2011, 2:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I personally would only visit one of those museums in a day, or possibly two.. if you abandon the idea of shopping or any other activity. As you say, everyone's museum pace is different, but I guess for me the amount of exhibits I can actually enjoy or appreciate is finite. I was at MoMA a couple of months ago, spent about 4 hours there and saw only a fraction of the galleries.

It is a big dilemma though, if you are visiting a city for only a day or two.. I always err on the side of of "quality of visit" and avoid the urge to go to too many in one day..
Old May 16th 2011, 2:35 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend checking their Web sites to see what special exhibitions each institution has on view that you might want to spend time with. For instance, you could easily spend an entire day or longer seeing everything they have at the Met, permanent collections and special shows, but you may not be interested in everything. So if there are just specifics you want to see in each museum, you could certainly visit them all in one day -- but "do" each entire place, no!
Old May 16th 2011, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

I would say MOMA and the Guggenheim could be done in one day, but not the Met as well, it`s too big!
Old May 16th 2011, 5:10 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jemima55
I would say MOMA and the Guggenheim could be done in one day, but not the Met as well, it`s too big!
I agree with this.
Old May 16th 2011, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

sykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Malashaan
I agree with this.
Thanks. I sort of knew I was bitting a off a bit more than I could chew, trying to do all three.

The MoMa is a must, as is the Alexander McQueen exhibition at the Met. Maybe I'll cut the Guggenheim and be selective with areas to view at the Met.

thanks again.
Old May 16th 2011, 6:04 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sykes
Thanks. I sort of knew I was bitting a off a bit more than I could chew, trying to do all three.

The MoMa is a must, as is the Alexander McQueen exhibition at the Met. Maybe I'll cut the Guggenheim and be selective with areas to view at the Met.

thanks again.
I agree that you should pick which exhibits that you want to see and decide from there. The Guggenheim and the Met are walking distance from each other. The Met is huge and you wouldn't be able to see that on it's own in one day.I do love it though. I'm not a big fan of the Guggenheim

Most of the stores in Tribeca are overpriced. What are you looking to shop for?
Old May 16th 2011, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jemima55
Agreed...the Met is massive and has many interesting exhibits. I've been to the Met numerous times already and still haven't seen everything there is to see.

FYI....when you enter the Met you will have to go to a cashier who will ring you up for what appears to be a $20 entrance fee. This is only the suggested donation amount...there is no set fee. By all means pay the suggested donation price if you feel you can afford it, but don't let them guilt you into it if you feel it's excessive.
Old May 16th 2011, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Most of the stores in Tribeca are overpriced. What are you looking to shop for?
Mainly clothes, not uber high end but fashionable geared to early 30s, anything from cheap to medium-high. Definitely want to stop by APC and Jean Shop in SoHo. Maybe Barney's but we have a co-op here and I'm not overly impressed with the quality, selection or price. True designer discount shops would be great (not à la marshalls and tj maxx). Also smaller designers who don't have a name yet or maybe bigger shops from EU, Asia that only have one or two shops here (like next or topman... no, I did not just say that).

Really, I want to see different things than we have here in Atlanta.
Old May 16th 2011, 6:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Never been there, but I hear about this place a lot

http://www.c21stores.com/manhattan/
Old May 16th 2011, 7:50 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: New Yorkers, Is the Met, MoMA and Guggenheim to much for one day?

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

Century 21 is huge and disorganised, a bit of a zoo really. It is similar to TJ Maxx & Marshalls (and so is Daffy's in Herald Square opposite Macy's, by the way).

There are private tours in the Fashion (Garment) District for discounted designer sales here (see video):

http://theeleganttightwad.com/

'Meg's' in the East Village gets great reviews, probably worth checking out:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/meg-new-york...gner%20clothes

One Spanish - from Barcelona - chain store I love is 'Desigual' - they've been in Europe and the Far East (Singapore) for a few years and about a year ago opened some stores in NYC, there's one on Sixth Ave at Herald Square....definitely worth a look if you like colourful and unusual clothes for men, women and in some stores, for children:

http://www.desigual.com/desigual/preHome.jsp

Have fun!
PS: There is a small design museum at FIT (the Fashion Institute of Technology) which is free to the public. I saw Michelle Obama's outfit for the Presidential Inauguration there.

http://fitnyc.edu/3662.asp
Old May 16th 2011, 8:00 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

Century 21 is a mess. I wouldn't bother
Old May 16th 2011, 8:03 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Thanks for the info!
Old May 16th 2011, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

If you want something similar to Century 21 but with less mess, more organization and better prices then try Sims Department Store (there's a location just down the road from Century 21, as well as one in midtown).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.