Reload this Page >

New York School Recommendations

New York School Recommendations

Old Jan 31st 2018, 8:16 am
Just Joined

CaliMo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New York School Recommendations

Originally Posted by Ecto17
If you don't wish to share, please don't but where abouts are you guys in the U.K.? Might help with the advise if you like where you already are.
l am a bit like you, l love the city and visiting it but l wouldn't want to live in there. For me, it is a lovely balance here, being in an established smaller community but within easy reach of NYC.
I guess the difference between living in Manhattan and Brooklyn versus the commuter towns is very similar to living in London or greater London versus the Home Counties. Just preference!
We live in Tunbridge Wells, Kent. We really like it here, about a 15min walk from the town centre, and just under an hour into London.

Having lived in London pre kids, i'm not sure going back to city living now would be the right choice.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliMo
We live in Tunbridge Wells, Kent. We really like it here, about a 15min walk from the town centre, and just under an hour into London.

Having lived in London pre kids, i'm not sure going back to city living now would be the right choice.
My friend has just moved over from near you!! I am from Herts so was looking for an established community and town but with access to the city.
I think the areas you are looking at are going to suit you well.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

My friend has just moved over from near you!! I am from Herts so was looking for an established community and town but with access to the city.
I think the areas you are looking at are going to suit you well.
How funny, it's a small world!

That's good to know i'm barking up the right tree. I think i will plan to visit these areas when i come over at the end of the month.

If you don't mind me asking, where about's did you settle and what made you choose the public school route? Are your kids a similar age to mine?

Thanks
Old Jan 31st 2018, 12:55 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

Can you explain the differences between living in Manhattan or Brooklyn, and then living further out such as New Jersey, Nassau or Westchester counties please? I realise the commute is further but it must be quieter and you get more space for your money? I do like the style of houses in Brooklyn more than the suburban ones though!

thank you[/QUOTE]

Manhattan and Brooklyn are like London. They are both expensive, but very walkable and well connected by public transport. We are in Brooklyn and I have a 25 minute subway commute to work in Manhattan, a 5 minute walk to my daughter's school and have restaurants, parks, subway stations, libraries, public swimming pools etc. a stone's throw away. The suburbs are like the suburbs in the UK and you will depend on your car. You will definitely get more space in the suburbs.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

How funny, it's a small world!

That's good to know i'm barking up the right tree. I think i will plan to visit these areas when i come over at the end of the month.

If you don't mind me asking, where about's did you settle and what made you choose the public school route? Are your kids a similar age to mine?

Thanks
We are in Basking Ridge in NJ and we are really happy here. There are lots of commuters here but if l was going into Manhattan each day l would probably pick, Chatham, Summit, Milburn etc although a friend's husband drives from here to Jersey City and gets the ferry over.
We went down the public school route because in truth all the areas we looked at, had amazing schools. We were lucky to visit a school in each of the areas we were considering and that helped us form our decision about what we wanted to do. We picked our house based on how much we liked the school and we haven't been disappointed. I do think there is a lot to be said for attending the local school as it is often a central hub for the community and would help with integration for all of you locally.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 6:19 am
Just Joined

I do think there is a lot to be said for attending the local school as it is often a central hub for the community and would help with integration for all of you locally.
That's an interesting point you've made there. I was looking only at private, mainly as i thought we wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting into a public school! Being British and not even living in the country yet i just assumed, maybe wrongly, that it was a no-goer. I read on a forum yesterday that it really is a case of if you live on the right street, you get into the school you like. But my fear is if we can't get a nice property or one isn't available at the right time we get given a school we don't want.

My kids are sporty so will be looking to join various clubs, I hope to get some intergration and make friends through this too.

Husband will only need to go into office 2-3 days a week which is great, so can live a little further away. I've just book my flights to come over so got to get planning with visiting schools.I think i might start a new thread asking opinions on specific schools!
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 2:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That's an interesting point you've made there. I was looking only at private, mainly as i thought we wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting into a public school! Being British and not even living in the country yet i just assumed, maybe wrongly, that it was a no-goer. I read on a forum yesterday that it really is a case of if you live on the right street, you get into the school you like. But my fear is if we can't get a nice property or one isn't available at the right time we get given a school we don't want.
Even illegal immigrants in the US have the right to send their children to school. Schooling is mandatory.

Yes, for most of the US and in particular for the area(s) you are researching to put down your temporary roots, which schools your children are eligible to attend is by school lines. Check out the sports programs in the schools, as well, as they appear to be important to your children. Note that if the school doesn't have say a soccer team there are many soccer clubs in NJ for them to join if that is there interest. My niece's school didn't have a soccer team (and yes, they lived in NJ Ugh!) but she was a member of two private soccer teams and was lucky enough to qualify for a full scholarship to St. John's University after high school.

As a parent (and yes, I did this when my children were of school age), you might want to pick the school first and then look for the rental property in that district. If the property is not exactly what you want, then you make compromises. Which is of the highest importance, your children or the loss of a swimming pool or a few square feet of living area.

As you noted, you are only intending to be in the US for a few years and won't be entertaining thoughts of getting green cards and/or eventually naturalizing.

Last edited by Rete; Feb 2nd 2018 at 2:18 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

My kids are sporty so will be looking to join various clubs, I hope to get some intergration and make friends through this too.

Husband will only need to go into office 2-3 days a week which is great, so can live a little further away. I've just book my flights to come over so got to get planning with visiting schools.I think i might start a new thread asking opinions on specific schools!
Definitely look further out then, would certainly recommend here as it has a fantastic school system and a lovely community.
We have a 6 yr old so still have the memories of trying to get into primary school in the UK! That wasn't fun! Here is very different, l asked at one school what happens if the school was full and they said simply, we open another class! I can't comment on NYC or other states but here is very simple, you enroll in whichever school the address is assigned to. All the elementary schools in this town are good but we did pick a house by the one we considered the best for our child however l would have been equally happy with any of them, as l would have have been with almost any of the ones in the other towns l mentioned.
The way l looked for properties and schools was via www.realtor.com as the property would include which schools the address was assigned and usually what grade it was given. Each school was given a national rating between 1-10 and just to help us reduce the search we looked at properties within school catchments of 8 or above. Nothing wrong with other schools, it just provided us with a way of honing our search from a distance.
It is useful to have a couple of towns you would be happy to settle in once you arrive as you may or may not have a lot of properties on the market at that time.
Wherever you end up there are fantastic sporting and extra curricular activities here. We are teaching our little one to ski at the weekends and l find it mind blowing that you can go to the mountains for the day.
On a different note, we spent a few weeks initially in some lovely temporary accommodation which gave us a chance to find our house (and for the ship to arrive with all our furniture!) and as much as l was ready to move out by the end, l really enjoyed the hassle free start to our adventure and most importantly met lots of people who had also recently moved to the area and we have all stayed in touch. (Super bowl party at one of their houses Sunday!) Anyway if you get the chance it isn't a bad option.
Sorry l am banging on!
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Definitely look further out then, would certainly recommend here as it has a fantastic school system and a lovely community.
We have a 6 yr old so still have the memories of trying to get into primary school in the UK! That wasn't fun! Here is very different, l asked at one school what happens if the school was full and they said simply, we open another class! I can't comment on NYC or other states but here is very simple, you enroll in whichever school the address is assigned to. All the elementary schools in this town are good but we did pick a house by the one we considered the best for our child however l would have been equally happy with any of them, as l would have have been with almost any of the ones in the other towns l mentioned.
The way l looked for properties and schools was via www.realtor.com as the property would include which schools the address was assigned and usually what grade it was given. Each school was given a national rating between 1-10 and just to help us reduce the search we looked at properties within school catchments of 8 or above. Nothing wrong with other schools, it just provided us with a way of honing our search from a distance.
It is useful to have a couple of towns you would be happy to settle in once you arrive as you may or may not have a lot of properties on the market at that time.
Wherever you end up there are fantastic sporting and extra curricular activities here. We are teaching our little one to ski at the weekends and l find it mind blowing that you can go to the mountains for the day.
On a different note, we spent a few weeks initially in some lovely temporary accommodation which gave us a chance to find our house (and for the ship to arrive with all our furniture!) and as much as l was ready to move out by the end, l really enjoyed the hassle free start to our adventure and most importantly met lots of people who had also recently moved to the area and we have all stayed in touch. (Super bowl party at one of their houses Sunday!) Anyway if you get the chance it isn't a bad option.
Sorry l am banging on!
Please don't apologise, this is all great advice! Thank you!