Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New York at New Year

New York at New Year

Old May 6th 2008, 4:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New York at New Year

Originally Posted by frrussre
Hi Jersey, we also had a cold Xmas, in Nth FL about 5 or 6 years ago. I'm not talking cold, I'm talking 85f & Xmas, does not feel very Chritmassy, especially, when we are on the beach.
Hiya Frank. It's been the most beautiful of spring days here in the NE.

The Christmas of '95 temps in Orlando touched freezing. It was so bloody cold...having spent Christmas and NY there before we knew it could get cold...but not for weeks on end. Not been back to Fla since...although the lure of an accom. in a free spare room could do the trick.
Old May 6th 2008, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hiya Frank. It's been the most beautiful of spring days here in the NE.

The Christmas of '95 temps in Orlando touched freezing. It was so bloody cold...having spent Christmas and NY there before we knew it could get cold...but not for weeks on end. Not been back to Fla since...although the lure of an accom. in a free spare room could do the trick.
I'm Chuckling. My humble abode, would be way below a Charthouse patron. You will have to wait until!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reg. Frank R.
Old May 6th 2008, 4:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Chuckling. My humble abode, would be way below a Charthouse patron. You will have to wait until!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reg. Frank R.
It's the company that counts Frank...don't forget I'm a Yorkshire girl and always will be.
Old May 6th 2008, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

It's the company that counts Frank...don't forget I'm a Yorkshire girl and always will be.
I'm chuckling & listening
Old May 6th 2008, 5:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm chuckling & listening
Time for bed for this Jerseygirl Frank...night night.
Old May 6th 2008, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Time for bed for this Jerseygirl Frank...night night.
Same here. night.
Old May 6th 2008, 5:36 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinkie
Yeah we paid a lot here really and that's in a sleepy backwater compared to NY! Casual would be fine, we're not really dressy types and the whole trip is costing us a fortune anyway. It's way more expensive to go back to the UK from here than it was to come out here. Manchester in winter for a holiday too, sounds awful when you say it like that doesn't it!! Especially as we'll be leaving mid Aussie summer!!

Thanks for the hotel thing too, I couldn't get on this site yesterday (don't know if it was a general outage?) but Englishmum has very kindly sent me a password so we can try out those apartments she mentioned. If that doesn't work out I'll come back to you when I have a plan B......

I'll see what I can come up with for you. No one has their New Years eve menus yet though. I agree about Tavern on the Green. Awful food and service. The last few New Years Eve have been fairly mild compared to years past. You are better off staying in Manhattan . Car services also jack up the prices . Let me know when and where your hotel si and I will try and find you a place nearby!
Old May 7th 2008, 8:22 am
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough

There is a hotel in Weehawken...not too far from the Chart House. They also run a ferry to Downtown NYC. Can't remember the name but it has the best views of NYC...I'll ask my husband tomorrow.
Thanks Jerseygirl, that would be great. I'm still steering towards staying in the city but the views from there at midnight must be amazing. Depends if we can afford to stay in the city!

The best & the cheapest New Years eve I ever had in NYC, was in Central PK. Mayor Giuliani opened all the main parks, so that families with children, had somewhere to go, we went to the Wolman Ice ring, ice skating at midnight. Fantastic, most magical thing ever, fireworks in the sky, live music, her at home, the boy wonder & me. WOW!
Frank, my husband would love you for suggesting something cheap That does sound lovely though, bet the atmosphere was amazing. Hoping to get me some of that!

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I'll see what I can come up with for you. No one has their New Years eve menus yet though. I agree about Tavern on the Green. Awful food and service. The last few New Years Eve have been fairly mild compared to years past. You are better off staying in Manhattan . Car services also jack up the prices . Let me know when and where your hotel si and I will try and find you a place nearby!
I'll avoid Tavern on the Green then, that's two bad reviews from two. Hoping to get flights booked tomorrow (having major laptop problems, hence the delay responding) so then I can get a hotel booked and work from there. Thanks for the help this far
Old May 7th 2008, 12:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You know I just remembered that NYC does a special New Year's Eve thing where you buy a ticket and you can go to any number of places on the venue for dancing, celebrations, etc. One of the things was dancing in the main lobby of Grand Central Terminal.
Old May 7th 2008, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

The best & the cheapest New Years eve I ever had in NYC, was in Central PK. Mayor Giuliani opened all the main parks, so that families with children, had somewhere to go, we went to the Wolman Ice ring, ice skating at midnight. Fantastic, most magical thing ever, fireworks in the sky, live music, her at home, the boy wonder & me. WOW!

"Frank, my husband would love you for suggesting something cheap That does sound lovely though, bet the atmosphere was amazing. Hoping to get me some of that!"

After 9/11 I don't think they ever opened the parks for New Years Eve again. Shame, really was a fantastic eve & we have done the expensive Hotel/Club/restaurant events.
Hope you get to Manhattan for New Year.
Reg. Frank R.
Old May 8th 2008, 7:35 am
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Rete
You know I just remembered that NYC does a special New Year's Eve thing where you buy a ticket and you can go to any number of places on the venue for dancing, celebrations, etc. One of the things was dancing in the main lobby of Grand Central Terminal.
That sounds great, a real experience. I'll have a look into that, thanks.

After 9/11 I don't think they ever opened the parks for New Years Eve again. Shame, really was a fantastic eve & we have done the expensive Hotel/Club/restaurant events.
Hope you get to Manhattan for New Year.
Reg. Frank R.
It's horrible that things have become so locked down, I understand why but I hate that the world has to be like that. Thanks for the good wishes though, we'll be there by hook or by crook as it's something I've always wanted to experience and you never know when you'll get another chance. Since emigrating I've found I am obsessed with new things and getting to do the things I've always wanted to, just never did.

Thanks again to everyone for your help and advice, can't wait to get there
Old May 13th 2008, 4:34 am
Playing the game

I'm back again guys, now we're booked into a hotel (thanks again to Englishmum for her hot tip!!), Penguinbar can you recommend anywhere to eat then? We're just opposite the Rockefeller Centre so couldn't be better positioned for most of the things we want to see.

It's brilliant at the minute as the new Sex in the City film us about to come out so we're surrounded by images of New York which is keeping my excitement levels at fever pitch!!
Old May 13th 2008, 1:38 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

There are hundreds of places to eat in NYC, it really comes down to what kind of food you like to eat and of course your budget!

Personally I love going to Balthazar on Spring St, Soho (and yes, it's been featured on 'Sex and the City'!). It has a 'sister' restaurant called Pastis in the trendy Meatpacking district. I also totally love Spice Market which is just across the street from Pastis.

The best way to book is by going to http://www.opentable.com

You can make a direct real-time booking to any of the restaurants listed (London too!) and all the top ones in NYC are featured along with reviews. Most of them open their bookings a month ahead, but it will probably be even more in advance for New Year

Another v. good website is http://www.menupages.com and you can see the actual menus of hundreds of NYC restaurants.
Old May 14th 2008, 5:53 am
Playing the game

Originally Posted by Englishmum
There are hundreds of places to eat in NYC, it really comes down to what kind of food you like to eat and of course your budget!

Personally I love going to Balthazar on Spring St, Soho (and yes, it's been featured on 'Sex and the City'!). It has a 'sister' restaurant called Pastis in the trendy Meatpacking district. I also totally love Spice Market which is just across the street from Pastis.

The best way to book is by going to http://www.opentable.com

You can make a direct real-time booking to any of the restaurants listed (London too!) and all the top ones in NYC are featured along with reviews. Most of them open their bookings a month ahead, but it will probably be even more in advance for New Year

Another v. good website is http://www.menupages.com and you can see the actual menus of hundreds of NYC restaurants.
Cheers for that, I didn't really watch S&TC when it was on TV but I have a feeling I'll be watching it now so I can spot all these places! I'll have a look at that site too, we're fairly adventurous with what we eat - although I tried octopus at New Year and won't be making that mistake again. How do people eat that? Anyway, thanks again for the tips
Old May 16th 2008, 12:55 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pinkie
Thanks Jerseygirl, that would be great. I'm still steering towards staying in the city but the views from there at midnight must be amazing. Depends if we can afford to stay in the city!

Frank, my husband would love you for suggesting something cheap That does sound lovely though, bet the atmosphere was amazing. Hoping to get me some of that!

I'll avoid Tavern on the Green then, that's two bad reviews from two. Hoping to get flights booked tomorrow (having major laptop problems, hence the delay responding) so then I can get a hotel booked and work from there. Thanks for the help this far
We were just at The Boathouse in Central Park last weekend. It was so much better than TOG and the food was fantastic!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.