Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New York at New Year

New York at New Year

Old May 4th 2008, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New York at New Year

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I forgot to say that the pass for the subway is called the metrocard.
Duly noted. Thanks!!
Old May 4th 2008, 5:24 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Duly noted. Thanks!!
Sure. NYC can be a bit overwhelming. Glad to be of some help
Old May 6th 2008, 1:34 am
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough

Hey Pinkie, For New Years eve in New York find a nice restaurant or pub. Bars in New York City are open untill 4am. As I said earlier avoid Times Sqaure. When I managed a place there a few years ago the owners friend was a police Leiutenant and about 20 minutes before midnight he led me and two others passed all the people who had been waiting since that morning to watch the ball drop. It was a neat experience but I would not have stood there all day to experience it. I think your best bet is to try and find a package deal and not do theflight and hotel seperately. I was in Australia two years ago. Went to meet a guy that I had met online. Long story but Thank God it never went anywhere! That was in Melbourne and I also have friends in Sydney. I loved it and can't wait to go back!
Hey Penguinbar, what restaurants would you recommend then? We booked in to a restaurant for this last new years eve in Adelaide and it was lovely but the other diners made it memorable - otherwise we could have missed a lot of atmosphere. Do you think that could happen there? We are doing this as part of a round the world ticket (cheaper than a return flight from Oz to UK!) so I'm booking hotels separately to try and get a better deal.

Melbourne is great but Adelaide is better

Originally Posted by denzil75
If you are planning on doing a Broadway show and don't really mind which one, look for the TKTS ticket booths. They sell tickets for that day for up to 50% off, I'd queue up before they open as the line can get big, although friends have told me the South Street Port one is quieter. I've not personally used them as I wanted to see something specific and thought that tickets weren't that badly priced, but it's a great way to save money on the Broadway tickets though. I have loads of friends who use it.
Thanks for the show links (and the touristy ones, even more stuff to paw through!). I don't know enough about shows to know which one we should see and even whether you could book them this far in advance? I just know it would be almost criminal not to see a show whilst we're there if we can. My friend recommended Avenue Q? I'd be happy to just see what was on when we got there, as long as we could still get tickets at that time of year.

Originally Posted by Rete
If you are going to be here only for a few short days then decide do you want to do an in-depth visit to a particular area or a drive-by of the island? If a drive-by then take the bus tour. They are great. You pay for a full day's ride on a double decker tour bus (like your UK busses) and you can hop on and hop off at various stops of interest.

If you want the Christmas atmosphere go walking. Fifth Avenue from Lord and Taylors (39th? St) northward to Central Park. This walk will bring you pass Rockefeller Plaza and the tree. On the walk back go two blocks east and walk down Park Avenue (where I work). Lovely at night over the holiday season. The office building lobbies are decorated and the green island in the middle of the street is done up with trees and lights as well. You follow it through to the Metlife building and directly into Grand Central for a look at the much photographed central main room with its celestial ceiling and at the holiday season a laser light show at times.
We're definitely happy to do plenty of walking so thanks for that little route. The bus tours sound great too, I think a drive by of quite a few areas is all that will be possible so we can spend some time just enjoying the atmosphere and wandering round, there are bound to be things we totally forget about wanting to see until we get there anyway. Luckily we plan to head to Vancouver for a few nights on the way back down under so we can make the most of the days in NYC and recover in Vancouver
Old May 6th 2008, 1:42 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinkie
Hey Penguinbar, what restaurants would you recommend then? We booked in to a restaurant for this last new years eve in Adelaide and it was lovely but the other diners made it memorable - otherwise we could have missed a lot of atmosphere. Do you think that could happen there? We are doing this as part of a round the world ticket (cheaper than a return flight from Oz to UK!) so I'm booking hotels separately to try and get a better deal.

Melbourne is great but Adelaide is better

Thanks for the show links (and the touristy ones, even more stuff to paw through!). I don't know enough about shows to know which one we should see and even whether you could book them this far in advance? I just know it would be almost criminal not to see a show whilst we're there if we can. My friend recommended Avenue Q? I'd be happy to just see what was on when we got there, as long as we could still get tickets at that time of year.

We're definitely happy to do plenty of walking so thanks for that little route. The bus tours sound great too, I think a drive by of quite a few areas is all that will be possible so we can spend some time just enjoying the atmosphere and wandering round, there are bound to be things we totally forget about wanting to see until we get there anyway. Luckily we plan to head to Vancouver for a few nights on the way back down under so we can make the most of the days in NYC and recover in Vancouver
Hi pinkie what type of place are you looking for? Casual or fancy? Most restaurants are not taking New Years eve reservations this early. Most also do a specila prix fix dinner as well. The prices are also jacked up o New Years. Do you want to go all out or just casual. Let me know and that will help me mke some recommendations. I'm sure Adelaide is great! As for Avenue Q I saw it in London. Very funny! It should be pretty easy to get tickets to as well since it has been running awhile.Let me know if you have found any hotels that you are interested in as well and hopefully I can tell you a bit about them!
Old May 6th 2008, 1:47 am
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough

Hi pinkie what type of place are you looking for? Casual or fancy? Most restaurants are not taking New Years eve reservations this early. Most also do a specila prix fix dinner as well. The prices are also jacked up o New Years. Do you want to go all out or just casual. Let me know and that will help me mke some recommendations. I'm sure Adelaide is great! As for Avenue Q I saw it in London. Very funny! It should be pretty easy to get tickets to as well since it has been running awhile.Let me know if you have found any hotels that you are interested in as well and hopefully I can tell you a bit about them!
Yeah we paid a lot here really and that's in a sleepy backwater compared to NY! Casual would be fine, we're not really dressy types and the whole trip is costing us a fortune anyway. It's way more expensive to go back to the UK from here than it was to come out here. Manchester in winter for a holiday too, sounds awful when you say it like that doesn't it!! Especially as we'll be leaving mid Aussie summer!!

Thanks for the hotel thing too, I couldn't get on this site yesterday (don't know if it was a general outage?) but Englishmum has very kindly sent me a password so we can try out those apartments she mentioned. If that doesn't work out I'll come back to you when I have a plan B......

Old May 6th 2008, 3:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever you do...don't go to the Tavern on the Green. Expensive...nice location but crap food IMO.

We have spent many a Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve at the Chart House in Weehawken...New Jersey...directly across the Hudson from the Empire State Building. There is a ferry across the Hudson but it's quite a way to the Chart House. The view of NYC is breathtaking...you can also see the fireworks from Times Sq and the Lady Herself (Statue of Liberty).
Old May 6th 2008, 3:42 am
Playing the game

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Whatever you do...don't go to the Tavern on the Green. Expensive...nice location but crap food IMO.

We have spent many a Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve at the Chart House in Weehawken...New Jersey...directly across the Hudson from the Empire State Building. There is a ferry across the Hudson but it's quite a way to the Chart House. The view of NYC is breathtaking...you can also see the fireworks from Times Sq and the Lady Herself (Statue of Liberty).
Tavern on the Green? Why does that ring a bell? I could cope with crap food for a decent location but not sure I can swing 'expensive' past my frugal OH

I like the idea of being able to see everything from a distance, it's just as Denzil75 said, I am worried about going too far away from where we're staying and struggling to get back after midnight. Plus I'm not sure I don't want to go against advice and stand in Times Square for 8 hours to see the ball drop!!
Old May 6th 2008, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jersey, you are now "The Official Agent for NJ", can't place Jersey on a map, where is it?
Reg. Frank R.
Ps. 87f here today, manana 90f.
Old May 6th 2008, 3:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Tavern on the Green? Why does that ring a bell? I could cope with crap food for a decent location but not sure I can swing 'expensive' past my frugal OH

I like the idea of being able to see everything from a distance, it's just as Denzil75 said, I am worried about going too far away from where we're staying and struggling to get back after midnight. Plus I'm not sure I don't want to go against advice and stand in Times Square for 8 hours to see the ball drop!!
There is a hotel in Weehawken...not too far from the Chart House. They also run a ferry to Downtown NYC. Can't remember the name but it has the best views of NYC...I'll ask my husband tomorrow.

Originally Posted by frrussre
Hi Jersey, you are now "The Official Agent for NJ", can't place Jersey on a map, where is it?
Reg. Frank R.

Ps. 87f here today, manana 90f.

LOL Frank...is that spare room of yours free yet?
Old May 6th 2008, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

The best & the cheapest New Years eve I ever had in NYC, was in Central PK. Mayor Giuliani opened all the main parks, so that families with children, had somewhere to go, we went to the Wolman Ice ring, ice skating at midnight. Fantastic, most magical thing ever, fireworks in the sky, live music, her at home, the boy wonder & me. WOW!
Old May 6th 2008, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

There is a hotel in Weehawken...not too far from the Chart House. They also run a ferry to Downtown NYC. Can't remember the name but it has the best views of NYC...I'll ask my husband tomorrow.

LOL Frank...is that spare room of yours free yet?
i'm working on it.
Friend in NYC, offered us her 2 BR apt (BPC River views) FOC, 4/22 - 5/2, we could not arrange at short notice. Annoying, hotels are getting expensive.
Reg. Frank R.
Old May 6th 2008, 4:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

The best & the cheapest New Years eve I ever had in NYC, was in Central PK. Mayor Giuliani opened all the main parks, so that families with children, had somewhere to go, we went to the Wolman Ice ring, ice skating at midnight. Fantastic, most magical thing ever, fireworks in the sky, live music, her at home, the boy wonder & me. WOW!
Wouldn't you agree it all depends on the weather Frank? Some years you can't stand to be outside more than 15 mins...others you can spend hours outside.
Old May 6th 2008, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Wouldn't you agree it all depends on the weather Frank? Some years you can't stand to be outside more than 15 mins...others you can spend hours outside.
Yep, sure can be bitter cold. Snow & bitter cold can kill the thrill. As most of the regulars know, I am not a big fan of smelly NYC, but Christmas - New Year, is probably the best time to be in Manhattan. Worst time "Black Friday", just got heart pain thinking about it.

Worst time to be in FL "Christmas", now thats really really boring.

Reg. Frank R.
Old May 6th 2008, 4:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Yep, sure can be bitter cold. Snow & bitter cold can kill the thrill. As most of the regulars know, I am not a big fan of smelly NYC, but Christmas - New Year, is probably the best time to be in Manhattan. Worst time "Black Friday", just got heart pain thinking about it.

Worst time to be in FL "Christmas", now thats really really boring.

Reg. Frank R.
The last time I spent Christmas in Fla it was bloody freezing. Never, ever again...even if your spare room is vacant.
Old May 6th 2008, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

The last time I spent Christmas in Fla it was bloody freezing. Never, ever again...even if your spare room is vacant.
Hi Jersey, we also had a cold Xmas, in Nth FL about 5 or 6 years ago. I'm not talking cold, I'm talking 85f & Xmas, does not feel very Chritmassy, especially, when we are on the beach.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.