Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New York - Housing Law Advice please

New York - Housing Law Advice please

Old Mar 17th 2015, 12:19 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New York - Housing Law Advice please

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Unfortunately, there are so many housing violations of all kinds going on all over NYC that I doubt that you will be able to accomplish anything in the timeframe available to you, however illegal the set up may be. There are tenements where people live for weeks on end with no heat in 20 F degree weather and the authorities still can't get the landlord to act. You may have to accept writing this off to experience. ......
Thank you. I said that in #3 above but appear to have been ignored.
..... I'm afraid that in NYC there is no free lunch -- and no decent really cheap accommodations. I think the best recommendation you could give to those who come after you is that, in order to spend time in NYC, you need to be prepared to spend a decent amount on a long-term accommodation hotel.
Which was, IIRC, what the OP was told when she first showed up here looking for advice.

I am still mystified how, when the OP's girlfriend had been offered help finding accommodation by her employer, they ended up slumming it in an airbnb.com tenement?
Old Mar 17th 2015, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am still mystified how, when the OP's girlfriend had been offered help finding accommodation by her employer, they ended up slumming it in an airbnb.com tenement?
This is why I asked the question. I have a friend who got a job with the UN in NYC. She received a tremendous amount of assistance from them for the relocation, accommodation in particular.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

RPJS hit the nail on the head earlier on - call 311 and register a complaint. Its the only way they'll get investigated and (hopefully) shut down.

This stuff happens in NYC all the time, and unless someone reports it, other people get ripped off and the owner continues to profit. Here's an entire building that was shutdown recently - http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/26/ny...ain-sight.html
Old Mar 17th 2015, 5:15 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nadine0895
Thanks Pulaski, welcoming and polite as always to your fellow Brit Expats. Even when you have no advice to offer you still feel the need to infiltrate peoples threads.
Oh do shush. Pulaski has given the correct advice in this thread.

Either do the NYC thing and beat her up for the money, or just chalk it up to experience and the risk of doing things on the cheap.

Frankly, if you're working at the U.N. you should be able to sort out some proper accommodation. Not staying with scum.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 7:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pulaski, welcoming and polite as always to your fellow Brit Expats. Even when you have no advice to offer you still feel the need to infiltrate peoples threads. Ever heard of the saying if you don't have anything nice to say.... I'm sure you know the rest. Now if you have finished being so friggin rude..... .
I can do rude if you want but that was blunt, the cold hard truth, not "rude". That you don't value my knowledge and experience does not invalidate it. I wish you luck in your endeavors, but I do not anticipate you getting any satisfaction, and certainly not any financial satisfaction.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 4:56 pm
Brit abroad - lawyer

nadine0895 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi hungryhorace and Pulaski it seems you were both wrong as I have now reported this person to the authorties and retained a lawyer who works with the United Nations who has found the owner has changed names and business name 3 times, has contacted the landlord and so far been offered $3000 to keep "shush" I guess this is what happens when you dont keep "shush" thanks to those who offered friendly and supportive advice after all thats what were here for to help our fellow expat. Those who mentioned the illegal hotel thing it does seem the authorities are really cracking down on this and were really grateful for the info I gave them.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 5:25 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

hi hungryhorace and Pulaski it seems you were both wrong as I have now reported this person to the authorties and retained a lawyer who works with the United Nations who has found the owner has changed names and business name 3 times, has contacted the landlord and so far been offered $3000 to keep "shush" I guess this is what happens when you dont keep "shush" thanks to those who offered friendly and supportive advice after all thats what were here for to help our fellow expat. Those who mentioned the illegal hotel thing it does seem the authorities are really cracking down on this and were really grateful for the info I gave them.
Good luck wasting your time. I'd take the $3k personally. Good luck also receiving that.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:09 pm

hi hungryhorace and Pulaski it seems you were both wrong as I have now reported this person to the authorties and retained a lawyer who works with the United Nations who has found the owner has changed names and business name 3 times, has contacted the landlord and so far been offered $3000 to keep "shush" I guess this is what happens when you dont keep "shush" ...??
So as you are occupying the moral high ground I assume you'll be turning down the offer of a $3,000 bribe.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:19 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

We know we have been overcharged at least by 400$ a month,
How did they do that, charge your credit card, change your checks?
Old Mar 20th 2015, 4:42 am
Brit abroad - lawyer

I have retained the moral high ground I've already reported her, within a day my partners friend from the UN found that this woman owns this place, ( she had told me she was the agent ) so she is'nt able to just up and leave and run away from the situation. I guess giving the money back is her way of making her situation better when the authorities investigate. I've done my part and I'm a much happier bunny. I also contacted a past flatmate and told her how to get her money back as well as she rinsed this poor girl dry for a lot longer than me. Well by $400 was an estimation of how much she was overcharging as the cheaper places in the same area were a lot better than ours and had it gone to court I could've easily got some estimates to back that up. No bother now though, she's being dealt with and hopefully this will be enough for her to either shut down business or start running it properly and fairly. There are so many fishy things about this situation she really didnt want anyone to know she was the owner, she has changed her name 3 times and even changed the business name 3 times and public records show she failed to file taxes. Quite gready considering she has 7 rooms just on our floor, 7 below each bringing in almost 2k a month. Thats almost 28k and then couldnt be bothered to call a plumber and left us without water for 8 days. This is a hospitality company??? This woman deserves everything she gets quite frankly. If I had a nice little business like that I would go about it legitimately and I'd actually take some pride in it.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 6:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I have retained the moral high ground I've already reported her, within a day my partners friend from the UN found that this woman owns this place, ( she had told me she was the agent ) so she is'nt able to just up and leave and run away from the situation. I guess giving the money back is her way of making her situation better when the authorities investigate. I've done my part and I'm a much happier bunny. I also contacted a past flatmate and told her how to get her money back as well as she rinsed this poor girl dry for a lot longer than me. Well by $400 was an estimation of how much she was overcharging as the cheaper places in the same area were a lot better than ours and had it gone to court I could've easily got some estimates to back that up. No bother now though, she's being dealt with and hopefully this will be enough for her to either shut down business or start running it properly and fairly. There are so many fishy things about this situation she really didnt want anyone to know she was the owner, she has changed her name 3 times and even changed the business name 3 times and public records show she failed to file taxes. Quite gready considering she has 7 rooms just on our floor, 7 below each bringing in almost 2k a month. Thats almost 28k and then couldnt be bothered to call a plumber and left us without water for 8 days. This is a hospitality company??? This woman deserves everything she gets quite frankly. If I had a nice little business like that I would go about it legitimately and I'd actually take some pride in it.
I've changed my name 3 times, too. So, what does that say about me? I'm also planning to change the name of the business I'm looking into buying. Does that also make me dodgy?

Seriously, Nadine. You're beating a dead horse. It is very unlikely that should this ever even get to see a courthouse anyone would bother to show up. Are you and your partner going to fly back to NY in 3 years' time to show up for a small claims court hearing? It's not worth anyone's time or expense. Just let it go and chalk it up to experience.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 12:50 pm
Brit abroad - lawyer

Dorothy I did mention I have been offered a $3000 refund which will be in my bank by saturday morning so I'm thrilled with that.

I am not making a small claim against this woman I have reported her to the relevant departments concerning housing, no legal papers have been filed. I did not acquire a lawyer from the UN to drag anyone into court, he simply did a favour addressed the situation and the outcome was successful for me and I am happy. And with the regards to changing names in the wrong set of circumstances for someone who is evading the law, it does not look good. Have a great day
Originally Posted by Dorothy
I've changed my name 3 times, too. So, what does that say about me? I'm also planning to change the name of the business I'm looking into buying. Does that also make me dodgy?

Seriously, Nadine. You're beating a dead horse. It is very unlikely that should this ever even get to see a courthouse anyone would bother to show up. Are you and your partner going to fly back to NY in 3 years' time to show up for a small claims court hearing? It's not worth anyone's time or expense. Just let it go and chalk it up to experience.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 1:03 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I did mention I have been offered a $3000 refund which will be in my bank by saturday morning so I'm thrilled with that.
So it went from being "hush money" to a "refund" in the space of a few posts!
Old Mar 20th 2015, 1:04 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like lots of dodgy stuff going on here, but if you agreed to a price, and then paid that price you can't really say you were overcharged. Lots of businesses charge more than others for a similar service.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

OCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond repute

From my experience Pulaski is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful members of this forum and even though you may not like what you hear he is trying to save you future headache and disappointment. Wish you the very best!

Thanks Pulaski, welcoming and polite as always to your fellow Brit Expats. Even when you have no advice to offer you still feel the need to infiltrate peoples threads. Ever heard of the saying if you don't have anything nice to say.... I'm sure you know the rest. Now if you have finished being so friggin rude..... Hi shirtback yeah we were thinking of actually speaking to the legal department at the UN which I am sure just by the name would be alarming if the landlord were to get a letter from them but for now maybe just send a letter myself and see what she says. Thanks for the advice everyone, I do know it's a long shot but as I mentioned I feel obligued really to make sure this does'nt happen to anyone else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.