British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   New York expat apartment search (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/new-york-expat-apartment-search-914353/)

Rozalia22 Jun 27th 2018 7:10 pm

New York expat apartment search

So I spent 2 days going around multiple places with a broker who is apparently experience in helping Expats. Turns out that 90% of the apartments won’t entertain me as I have no US credit history even though I am happy to pay a year up front and have the salary to cover their x multiple requirements.

i am now left with one option of a place which isn’t the best and I am now being chased hourly about committing as there are people that want it apparently.

is this common. Should I just take what I can get? Tricky when you have a family in tow..

we move over in 30 days..

Rete Jun 27th 2018 7:19 pm

Re: New York expat apartment search

Have your company write you a letter to be given to the renting agent or the landlord. This has been discussed numerous times on the USA main forum as this is not an immigration issue. You might want to do a search of that forum. The search function is on the link on the blue bar above. I have also asked your post to be transferred to the proper forum for replies.

Rozalia22 Jun 27th 2018 7:35 pm

Thanks.. I’m a forum rookie! Have the letter but still no use!

i will go to the correct forum

BenK91 Jun 27th 2018 8:06 pm

As Rete said, a letter from your company stating your position and salary can normally get around most hurdles.

Assuming that area of NY is popular it certainly wouldn't surprise me if they were trying to get you to commit to it by harassing you.

Marc_ely Jun 27th 2018 10:14 pm

A British friend of ours spent 15 years in NY and this sounds exactly the sort of thing she had to suffer everytime she moved. Brokers take a chunk of cash so of course they want you to get somewhere, even if somewhere is a total dump.

Untitled 3 Jun 28th 2018 3:30 am

Not sure where you're looking but many of the bigger rental buildings will take you without a US credit history. The rental market is definitely cooling a little, particularly at the luxury end.

Arathe Jun 28th 2018 4:24 am

So, you’re basically me, a month ago. This is tough.

I have a good job and had the fabled letter, and it was useless. What did help get over the line was offering a larger deposit - we ended up in a great apartment in the upper west side but we ended up putting down three months rent as security. My employer loaned me this, which was a godsend, but that was the only way we were getting this place. One other landlord would have accepted 2 months.

Also, we found the StreetEasy app was invaluable for finding not only places but brokers who actually knew the area, if the first guy you work with isn’t doing it, move on, it took us a solid 9 days of searching to find somewhere.

LouisB Jun 29th 2018 4:38 pm

Did this last year on arrival for first time, no history etc.
Avoid brokers, go for a no fee. IMHO, unless you’re after something specific and fussy, cut out the middle man.
rental market is a bit soft, a lot of places might even do a walk-ins and deals.
We found our place by first finding and liking the area, then searching online and exploring the local area. In the end we walked into a place and it was ideal and were accepted within a couple of days. No fees! Free month rent too, as many do...

get some sort of credit card ASAP, even if secured to start with, get that history going. If you ever used Amex overseas, do an account transfer immediately.

other than that, hit the streets and the web then go visit some places. The real issue tends to be the price, location and space tradeoff, but if you solve that you should be all set.

regarding docs, I showed my job offer letter and that was enough. Think it gets easier, good luck! :)

PootleK Jun 30th 2018 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12524633)
We found our place by first finding and liking the area, then searching online and exploring the local area. In the end we walked into a place and it was ideal and were accepted within a couple of days. No fees! Free month rent too, as many do...

I second this. I found my apartment by researching areas I wanted to live in and then finding apartment blocks. All the big apartment blocks have their own rentals offices here, so you can either walk in or phone up and make an appointment for a tour. You'll find them a lot more flexible (and cheaper) if you go direct.