Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New York Driving License

New York Driving License

Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New York Driving License

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I guess you still passed?

You were lucky there was no one standing there at the moment, I think they take points off for running over people, even if you were reversing.
Err I mean reversing into the pull-in space that buses have at bus stops (it was actually in the grounds of the MVD). As for them taking points off/even noticing you've hit the bus stop...
Old Jul 31st 2007, 8:27 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Be sure to have your passport with you and some proof of where you live. I was not asked to surrender my UK licence and what's more they didn't ask to see it, or proof of insurance before I went out on the "test"
I'm assuming that's in Arizona, not in NYS, where we're talking about. I'm not trying to be smart - just pointing out the differences between individual states.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
I'm assuming that's in Arizona, not in NYS, where we're talking about. I'm not trying to be smart - just pointing out the differences between individual states.
Yep in Arizona. I imagine you'd still need proof of identity in every state.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:13 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Yep in Arizona. I imagine you'd still need proof of identity in every state.
In NYS, you wouldn't need to take your passport to the test because you should already have your permit; you are asked to turn in licenses from other states when getting your permit; you can't do your permit and test on the same day; you don't need to show insurance but you do need to show registration...etc.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

My New York State Driving license was easy...

The written test, before I got my learner permit, was 20 questions which as long as you know 1. Don't Drink and Drive 2. Don't do Drugs and Drive 3. Don't Speed 4. Wear a Seatbelt... you're sorted!

Then we have a five hour defensive driving / driving theory course which I spent most of the time arguing with a dumbass who failed to understand why he needed to wear a seat belt.

The test itself was a joke... Spent 25 minutes driving around a few corners and one parallel park. The tester was sitting there with a huge grin on her face the entire time, then five minutes before the got back she finally came out with "Simon Says... Turn Right!"

Funny!

I nearly threw her out of the car for that bit of hilarity.