Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New York City/Philadelphia travel

New York City/Philadelphia travel

Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Daz_Cali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New York City/Philadelphia travel

I thought I'd ask a few questions on here as I originally signed up a few months ago due to being engaged to a lady from California. It all went wrong but I'm in NYC for five days next month and I need a few questions answering.

The first one is about the Metrocard. Can I use it from Manhattan to Newark and back the other way as it states on a few places I've checked online that it's only for the five borroughs.

Also, is it for the buses AND subway?

As for Philly, is there a day pass for the bus system and how much does it cost as I hear that correct change is always needed.

Hope someone can help
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

oxonlad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New York City/Philadelphia travel

You can use the Metrocard on the PATH train to Newark (afaik):
http://www.panynj.gov/path/fares.html

It works for busses and subways.

Taking a taxi to the airport is a much better option (if you have a bit of money to spare).

Have no idea about Philadelphia.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moadikum
You can use the Metrocard on the PATH train to Newark (afaik):
http://www.panynj.gov/path/fares.html

It works for busses and subways.

Taking a taxi to the airport is a much better option (if you have a bit of money to spare).

Have no idea about Philadelphia.
I'm based close to EWR Airport and have been told the number 40 bus close to the hotel will take me to Newark Penn Station. I reckon I can then get the PATH to the WTC Memorial and then bus around Manhattan from there.

Thank you for the reply, it's helped a lot
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:26 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: New York City/Philadelphia travel

Originally Posted by moadikum

Not necessarily. A car service is often cheaper (and nicer) than a taxi to/from the NYC area airports.

http://www.carmellimo.com

http://www.dial7.com

Also if going to/from EWR (Newark airport) there is a non-stop Express bus (the company is British-owned) to Midtown Manhatten:

http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

Yes, you can use your Metrocard on the PATH trains (eg. from Herald Square/34th St) and downtown mostly along 6th Ave and across to New Jersey). Are you planning to go to/from Newark airport? If so, you can take a public NJ Transit bus from Newark Penn Station where PATH trains depart and arrive. Not recommended if you have sizeable or heavy luggage though!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:29 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: New York City/Philadelphia travel

Originally Posted by Daz_Cali
I'm based close to EWR Airport and have been told the number 40 bus close to the hotel will take me to Newark Penn Station. I reckon I can then get the PATH to the WTC Memorial and then bus around Manhattan from there.

Thank you for the reply, it's helped a lot
Nope. It's the NJ Transit bus #62 which picks up right outside the terminals (arrivals levels).

PS. You can get a cheap direct bus from NYC to Philly with Megabus.com (also British owned!):

http://us.megabus.com/default.aspx

Last edited by Englishmum; Apr 24th 2012 at 3:33 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Nope. It's the NJ Transit bus #62 which picks up right outside the terminals (arrivals levels).

PS. You can get a cheap direct bus from NYC to Philly with Megabus.com (also British owned!):

http://us.megabus.com/default.aspx
Already sorted an Amtrak train to Philly and back, more expensive but 40 minutes less travel each way. We have Megabus here and they are pretty uncomfortable on the butt cheeks (well mine anyway)

Cheers Englishmum
Old Apr 25th 2012, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

I thought I'd ask a few questions on here as I originally signed up a few months ago due to being engaged to a lady from California. It all went wrong but I'm in NYC for five days next month and I need a few questions answering.

The first one is about the Metrocard. Can I use it from Manhattan to Newark and back the other way as it states on a few places I've checked online that it's only for the five borroughs.

Also, is it for the buses AND subway?

As for Philly, is there a day pass for the bus system and how much does it cost as I hear that correct change is always needed.

Hope someone can help
I think its been covered but as long as you can get into Newark Penn you can use the metrocard into NYC.

Philly has a bus service that allows you to jump on and off at will. You pay or your day pass and you are golden (one of the stops is the train station and you can buy the ticket there). Do not worry so much about correct change as its an even dollar amount and they give change. I have to be honest its a couple of years since I was in Philly so cannot remember the name of it to be honest.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by njmackem
I think its been covered but as long as you can get into Newark Penn you can use the metrocard into NYC.

Philly has a bus service that allows you to jump on and off at will. You pay or your day pass and you are golden (one of the stops is the train station and you can buy the ticket there). Do not worry so much about correct change as its an even dollar amount and they give change. I have to be honest its a couple of years since I was in Philly so cannot remember the name of it to be honest.
Thanks

I'll probably walk from 30th station to the 'Rocky steps' and then bus it to the Liberty Bell and have a good look around for a few hours and then bus back to the station. Might not need the day pass in fairness lol.

If anyone knows of any hidden gems in Philly then feel free to let me know. Obviously I will have to get a steak and cheese sandwich from somewhere but I'd love to know where's best
Old Apr 25th 2012, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Thanks

I'll probably walk from 30th station to the 'Rocky steps' and then bus it to the Liberty Bell and have a good look around for a few hours and then bus back to the station. Might not need the day pass in fairness lol.

If anyone knows of any hidden gems in Philly then feel free to let me know. Obviously I will have to get a steak and cheese sandwich from somewhere but I'd love to know where's best
Sorry to laugh but you might want to call it a philly cheese steak for fear of being attacked on the sport.. ha ha ha

www.southstreet.com

Have a look on there, South Street is a lot of fun!!
Old Apr 25th 2012, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by njmackem
Sorry to laugh but you might want to call it a philly cheese steak for fear of being attacked on the sport.. ha ha ha

www.southstreet.com

Have a look on there, South Street is a lot of fun!!
Haha will have to remember that. Thanks for the link