Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New York bank account opening

New York bank account opening

Old Jun 12th 2018, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Arathe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New York bank account opening

So, I need some help with opening a bank account (or specifically my wife does)

I moved to NYC about 2 months ago and was able to get HSBC (my UK bank) to open an account for me ahead of time, which was really useful.

My wife has now joined me and her UK bank doesn’t operate here. She went in to a Chase branch yesterday with her passport and tried to open an account. She was told that she needed a utility bill in her name as proof of address - something we don’t have (as I got here first they are all in my name).

Before we do the full tour of all the banks to find one who will open an account for her, has anyone found a US bank that will open a basic checking account without a utility bill? I can’t inagine we’re the first people to have this issue.

thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 5:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New York bank account opening

None of my banks wanted any proof of address when opening an account. If she wants an account and they insist on a utility bill, it is quite simple to bring the bill and her marriage license. Do you have an apartment lease?

In the lower portion of New York State, I've banked with Citibank and the now defunct Bank of New York.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Wells Fargo opened an account on day 2 of my arrival into the US. No bills asked for or provided, didn't even have a tenancy agreement (stayed with friends). Did want GC and/or passport though, can't remember which.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

It is eight years ago now but Chase opened an account for us with no proof of address. We went to the branch on 93rd and 2nd in the Upper East Side. The staff there seemed well versed in dealing with immigrants. All they required was a government issued unique identity number for each of us and our passports sufficed.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Arathe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone - sounds like we just had a poorly informed bank person. Will try again!
Old Jun 14th 2018, 1:33 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arathe
Thanks everyone - sounds like we just had a poorly informed bank person. Will try again!
Nope.
Chase is now impossible to open an account with as a new arrival.
They are asking for US state ids or driving licences , social security numbers etc.
Choice is now Wells Fargo or Bank of America.
Or contact HSBC - I'm sure they will do it for her if you have one.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 12:52 am
Just Joined

fenbristol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Nope.
Chase is now impossible to open an account with as a new arrival.
They are asking for US state ids or driving licences , social security numbers etc.
Choice is now Wells Fargo or Bank of America.
Or contact HSBC - I'm sure they will do it for her if you have one.
I opened a Chase account two weeks ago – a week after arriving in NYC.

I needed my UK passport, and proof of address. No SSN or US issued ID.

For proof of address, I had my employer write a letter (signed and on headed paper) which confirmed my current address and verification of employment.

They were very strict about the proof of address, but other than that all went without any issue.