British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   New York (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/new-york-828917/)

rpjs Mar 21st 2014 8:11 pm

Re: New York

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 11184634)
Take a train ride up the Hudson on Metro-North. Get off in Cold Spring or Poughkeepsie or Beacon or Hyde Park for a waterfront stroll and lunch.

Cold Spring is lovely. For photography go to the Federalist-era mansion of Boscobel in Cold Spring for stunning views along the Hudson and across to West Point. You might also spot a bald eagle or two along the river. Some good places to eat there too.

You could also get off the train in my neck of the woods at Tarrytown or Philipse Manor and see Philipsburg Manor (reconstructed Dutch colonial plantation house) and the Old Dutch Church (setting of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow") with the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery next door - New York's answer to Highgate. There are also famous mansions nearby: Sunnyside (Washington Irving), Lyndhurst (Jay Gould) and Kykuit (the Rockefellers). We also have some good places to eat especially along Main Street in Tarrytown.

Mitzyboy Mar 22nd 2014 12:47 am

Originally Posted by mum 2 3 (Post 11183949)
When we took my mum and dad into the city in September last year we walked the high line. Its a public park built along an old elevated rail freight line. http://www.thehighline.org/

They also have changing art installations, so we will go back again as its a different way to see art and easier than a gallery with kids. There are lots of photo opportunities.

For food we like http://thespottedpig.com/?page_id=42 Its small and the tables are close but they have great beers and lovely food with a British Chef/Co-owner. It has a Michelin Star but isn't at all fancy.

Have a great trip.

I've done the tenenment museum tour and it is really great. I will do it again this spring just to see another apartment and hear a different family history. Amazing that they track down the ancestors of some of the original tenants and put together their story with words and pictures.

If you have the opportunity, you might want to visit the Bronx Zoo. You can get there via Metro-North Railroad and it is a super fab zoo to visit, even without kids in tow.

Do a walking tour of a particular part of New York City, i.e. China Town, Great White Way, Museum Mile, Financial District, walking ghost tour, etc. http://walkingtoursny.com/

If you have an interest in history of the US through immigration then Ellis Island might be a stop on your agenda. Statute of Liberty is so-so. Just an island with a statute on it :ohmy:

Do a full Circle Line cruise around the Isle of Manhattan. I did that two years ago and it was great.

Take a train ride up the Hudson on Metro-North. Get off in Cold Spring or Poughkeepsie or Beacon or Hyde Park for a waterfront stroll and lunch.

Take a subway ride to Coney Island or if you are renting a car, drive to Jones Beach or Fire Island. Absolutely love Jones Beach.

Just a few things to do that are a little out of the ordinary.

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11184713)
Cold Spring is lovely. For photography go to the Federalist-era mansion of Boscobel in Cold Spring for stunning views along the Hudson and across to West Point. You might also spot a bald eagle or two along the river. Some good places to eat there too.

You could also get off the train in my neck of the woods at Tarrytown or Philipse Manor and see Philipsburg Manor (reconstructed Dutch colonial plantation house) and the Old Dutch Church (setting of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow") with the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery next door - New York's answer to Highgate. There are also famous mansions nearby: Sunnyside (Washington Irving), Lyndhurst (Jay Gould) and Kykuit (the Rockefellers). We also have some good places to eat especially along Main Street in Tarrytown.

Thank youi all, I'm beginning to tbhink that 10 days might not be enough :-)

Yorkieabroad Mar 22nd 2014 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 11184987)
Thank youi all, I'm beginning to tbhink that 10 days might not be enough :-)

We did 10 days over spring break a couple of years ago...it wasn't enough. Ok, we were traveling a bit slower as 3 kids in tow, but we were on the go from early morning to 9 or 10 at night most days, and had a blast every day. Kids had a great time, and still talk about going back to "finish off", but they were absolutely shattered at the end. It was a really peaceful flight home:)

Mitzyboy Mar 22nd 2014 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11185139)
We did 10 days over spring break a couple of years ago...it wasn't enough. Ok, we were traveling a bit slower as 3 kids in tow, but we were on the go from early morning to 9 or 10 at night most days, and had a blast every day. Kids had a great time, and still talk about going back to "finish off", but they were absolutely shattered at the end. It was a really peaceful flight home:)

Thanks ... glad to hear that Katy is only a little bit shit as well though :D

MarylandNed Mar 22nd 2014 9:11 pm

If you have an interest in history of the US through immigration then Ellis Island might be a stop on your agenda.

Although be aware of this:

http://www.nps.gov/elis/planyourvisit/index.htm

Ellis Island is open on a limited basis while repairs continue.
Ellis Island has reopened on a limited basis. Due to the nature of the destruction caused by Hurricane Sandy parts of the historic Main Building and museum, including most of the exhibits and both elevators, remain closed at this time.

Statute of Liberty is so-so. Just an island with a statute on it :ohmy:

Still a must do though. You can get some great photos of the Statue of Liberty from Liberty Island. Also some great views of lower Manhattan. Since you can combine it with a trip to Ellis Island, it's still well worth a visit.

One idea for getting out onto the water for free is the Staten Island Ferry. It goes past the Statue of Liberty and also gives great views of lower Manhattan.

jtlc2345 Mar 23rd 2014 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 11185914)
One idea for getting out onto the water for free is the Staten Island Ferry. It goes past the Statue of Liberty and also gives great views of lower Manhattan.

Or the IKEA shuttle at weekends.

Jonathan

Mitzyboy Mar 24th 2014 12:54 am

Just a big thank you to all of you, Ive got a lot to work on now in planning and I'm sure it will be a better trip through your help and tips :)