Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

new xray machine

new xray machine

Old May 16th 2005, 5:29 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute
Default new xray machine

so does anyone have an opinion on the new xray machine that they are going to introduce into some usa airports next year.

i personaly think they are taking the security issue a bit far.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...tm?POE=NEWISVA
Old May 16th 2005, 5:32 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new xray machine

Originally Posted by candy wy.
so does anyone have an opinion on the new xray machine that they are going to introduce into some usa airports next year.

In a similar article, I read that these x-ray machines are being tested in London's Heathrow Airport!

NC Penguin
Old May 16th 2005, 5:35 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
In a similar article, I read that these x-ray machines are being tested in London's Heathrow Airport!

NC Penguin
it mentions london in that article also. i just wonder if it is being tested only on people traveling to the usa from london.

Last edited by candy wy.; May 16th 2005 at 5:39 pm.
Old May 16th 2005, 5:54 pm
ImHere

Sod that. This is taking "security" waaaay to far. Do the government really think terrorists will try to pull another 9/11 esque stunt with aeroplanes? I seriously doubt it.

And personally I dont fancy being subjected to repeated x-rays thank you very much, low dose or not. Radiographers dont wear lead coverings and radiation indicators for nothing.

Old May 16th 2005, 5:57 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Sod that. This is taking "security" waaaay to far. Do the government really think terrorists will try to pull another 9/11 esque stunt with aeroplanes? I seriously doubt it.

And personally I dont fancy being subjected to repeated x-rays thank you very much, low dose or not. Radiographers dont wear lead coverings and radiation indicators for nothing.
Is it April Fool's Day again already?

(PS Where can I get one?)
Old May 16th 2005, 5:57 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Have to agree with you there.

Do you travel that much? For the holiday traveller, the x-rays are probably not harmful. It's those who travel regularly for business that are more at risk.

NC Penguin
Old May 16th 2005, 6:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Do you travel that much? For the holiday traveller, the x-rays are probably not harmful. It's those who travel regularly for business that are more at risk.
It's more to the point that security is pretty good in many airports across the world without having to take the piss...
Old May 16th 2005, 6:05 pm
staying around

Originally Posted by Bob
It's more to the point that security is pretty good in many airports across the world without having to take the piss...
most airports already carry out more intense screening for travellers to the usa. why they feel that they need a machine like this. is just taking things to far.

Last edited by candy wy.; May 16th 2005 at 6:07 pm.
Old May 16th 2005, 6:06 pm
staying around

Originally Posted by neil
Is it April Fool's Day again already?

(PS Where can I get one?)
do you have $100,000 spare to buy one
Old May 16th 2005, 6:26 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by candy wy.

For a start, I think very few US airports will have the money to shell out for such an x-ray machine and even if an airport has any, they'll give the impression of security.

How about tightening up the background checks and screening on the HSA employees who mill about and bark orders at passengers? I swear some of the can't have graduated from High School.

NC Penguin
Old May 16th 2005, 6:35 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

For a start, I think very few US airports will have the money to shell out for such an x-ray machine and even if an airport has any, they'll give the impression of security.
Buy one and tell passengers to check in 6 hours before their flight to get through it. No price is too much for security!
Old May 16th 2005, 6:37 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

How about tightening up the background checks and screening on the HSA employees who mill about and bark orders at passengers? I swear some of the can't have graduated from High School.

NC Penguin

If McDonalds (where most of them worked) can get you through the checkout with a Big Mac and fries in less than 5 minutes, why the **** can't the TSA?