Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New to the Woodlands, Houston, TX,

New to the Woodlands, Houston, TX,

Old Jun 23rd 2007, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default New to the Woodlands, Houston, TX,

Hi, I have just found this site and have been reading through postings all night (very entertaining).

I have just moved to the Woodlands in Houston from Brisbane, and from Wales. I did 4 years in brisbane, and just as my husband and I got married, he got transferred out here. so it was a case of getting used to being married, then spending a lot of time apart as we moved over here.

I am slowly getting used to life here, but finding it very different from what I am used to. I am here on an L2 visa, and am waiting for my EAD to come through so I can get a job, and start meeting people.

On the whole it doesnt seem that bad, at least the storms are entertaining and after 4 years of virtually no rain, I am loving the weather. I think the most difficult thing I am going through at the moment is meeting people. So if anyone has any ideas on things to do in the woodlands where you don't need kids etc I would be happy to take advice.

Cheers, Amanda
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 3:57 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the Woodlands, Houston, TX,

It seems that there are a bunch of people who have recently moved or are about to move to Houston. I'm sure you will get some replies!
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Sofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to behold

Hi Amanda. I am due to move to Houston in December/January. I won't be able to work but the best advice I have received so far is to do lots of voluntary work etc. It's a good way of meeting a wide variety of ppl. I'm not there yet so cant give you much more help than this but it seems lots of BE members are already in Houston() so I think you will get lots help.
Good luck
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Amanda, welcome to BE
I'm sure that you will find that Texans are a very friendly bunch in general and I'm sure you will have plenty of invites to BBQ's before long.
I was lucky when we moved to DFW last year and met a lot of people as I have a child, always makes it that bit easier when you have kids.
Our neighborhood also has a great forum on the web, maybe you could check if yours does. I joined a Bunco group in the neighborhood and has been a great way to get to know some ladies and have a laugh without the kids being there.
You'll soon meet plenty of cyber friends on here too.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 2:24 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all your welcomings. It is nice to know there are people in the same situation as me. I have had a look on the neighbourhood website for things to do, groups to join etc, but its not well used.

I think the hardest thing for me is I have had to keep battling away at everything. I'm not sure if its because I'm a bit older, but it was much easier, or at least seemed easier when I moved to Australia. There I joined some indoor sports teams, and things like that. But I just can't find anything like that here. I also am getting really homesick.

But I will keep battling on.
Cheers
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Amanda

Welcome to BE and to Houston. I've not been to the Woodlands, but my H has a few times for business and says it's lovely.

I can relate to the homesickness - really feeling it at the moment. I've been here since 20th May and living in temporary accommodation has been really tough going as there is no community here to join, but we're moving to our new home on Monday, so that will definitely help.

There are a few people moving here in the near future, so we may be able to have a get together at some point? Saying that, I'm in the same boat as you - here already, on an L2 visa awaiting revision so I can work/study and twiddling my thumbs in the meantime!

Hope for both of us the homesickness eases soon

Mandana
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 5:59 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amandabee
There I joined some indoor sports teams, and things like that. Cheers
Have you seen this: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459360?
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

thanks I have seen that already. Like most things in Houston its about 1-1.5 hours away in normal traffic.

I know I should be a bit more positive and just do it, but thats a long way for a game of soccer and a chance to meet someone. But I will keep it in mind.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE

Seems to be a bit of a houston rush at the moment, so might be worth checking out the BE frapr map
Old Jun 24th 2007, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Welcome to BE

Seems to be a bit of a houston rush at the moment, so might be worth checking out the BE frapr map
Hello Bob

I've seen this map but seem to have difficulty locating it ATM. Please can you do me a favour and post a link?

Thanks
Old Jun 24th 2007, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mandana
Hello Bob

I've seen this map but seem to have difficulty locating it ATM. Please can you do me a favour and post a link?

Thanks
Bob, not to worry, I've found it again! And have posted on it. Not had chance to browse to find all the other Houstonians though!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

ok this frapar map thing I might need a bit of help!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:03 am
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, I have just found this site and have been reading through postings all night (very entertaining).
Hi Amanda and welcome!

We are moving to Houston in about 8 weeks and there's a good chance we will be looking for property (read "real estate" ) in or near Woodlands.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:47 pm
The Wonderdog

Ozger is on a distinguished road

I have just moved to the Woodlands in Houston from Brisbane, and from Wales.
Spooky....We are from Cardiff, lived in Melbourne and have now lived in The Woodlands (Indian Springs) for 2 years, so let me know if you need any local info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.