Reload this Page >

New Waiver Ban

New Waiver Ban

Old Oct 7th 2010, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

lavenderbud is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy New Waiver Ban

Hi

I came to the US last July 2009 visiting friends and my boyfriend. I fell pregnant September 2009 (complete shock by the way) and was scheduled to leave in October. We went and saw an immigration attorney and they stated that I could either go back and he apply for fiance visa or overstay and apply for Green Card. Well seeing as I was pregnant we thought it best to stay and apply for the Green Card. We got married in December 09. We sent all relevant forms off and paid alot of money only to be told last week that the 5th Circuit courts (NY/NJ area) recently as of August ruled that it is up to the USCIS officer to decided whether or not to approve the green card for an applicant who is adjusting status off of a visa waiver program. The Visa Waiver program waives the applicants rights with regard to adjusting status. I'm currently in North Carolina, so its a gamble and not sure if the immigration officer will deny me or not. If they send me back it will be a minimum ban of 3 years. Any insight on this would be much appreciated!
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:23 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Waiver Ban

Originally Posted by lavenderbud
Hi

I came to the US last July 2009 visiting friends and my boyfriend. I fell pregnant September 2009 (complete shock by the way) and was scheduled to leave in October. We went and saw an immigration attorney and they stated that I could either go back and he apply for fiance visa or overstay and apply for Green Card. Well seeing as I was pregnant we thought it best to stay and apply for the Green Card. We got married in December 09. We sent all relevant forms off and paid alot of money only to be told last week that the 5th Circuit courts (NY/NJ area) recently as of August ruled that it is up to the USCIS officer to decided whether or not to approve the green card for an applicant who is adjusting status off of a visa waiver program. The Visa Waiver program waives the applicants rights with regard to adjusting status. I'm currently in North Carolina, so its a gamble and not sure if the immigration officer will deny me or not. If they send me back it will be a minimum ban of 3 years. Any insight on this would be much appreciated!
Yep -- there's a chance you'll be removed as you noted.

Can he move to the UK if the worse comes to the worst? Beyond that, you'll have to hang on and see what happens.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 3:53 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

You situation has been discussed at length in the marriage based visa forum. In fact, there is a "sticky" thread at the top of the forum.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 4:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Your previous thread is here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8891297

What sort of help/insight do you want?
Old Oct 7th 2010, 4:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Meauxna beat me to it Lavendar. Other than what was said in your first post http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=687839 I can't fathom what else you want to know? Yes, if you are denied, you cannot challenge the decision and yes, the time spent in the US, might even after having filed for AOS might well count as an overstay. The length of the overstay determines the length of the ban.

You have an attorney who is on top of things. She/he seems to feel that there is a good chance you will be okay since NC has not yet started denying AOS of petitions filed for AOS after the expiration of their VWP.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I fell pregnant September 2009 (complete shock by the way)
It couldn't really have been a complete shock unless the birth control failed. Just sayin'...

Ian
Old Oct 7th 2010, 6:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It couldn't really have been a complete shock unless the birth control failed. Just sayin'...

Ian
Um, let's not go there, OK?

Just think of the date we'll have, Ian. We'll be so intent on making each other tell The Truth, we won't have eyes for anyone else.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Just think of the date we'll have, Ian. We'll be so intent on making each other tell The Truth, we won't have eyes for anyone else.
I love you! You know that, right?

Ian
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I love you! You know that, right?

Ian

Keep that up and you might not see 13