Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Visa requirements for UK visitors ?

New Visa requirements for UK visitors ?

Old Jul 18th 2004, 9:59 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Visa requirements for UK visitors ?

My 84 year old Mother has just booked an air ticket to come and visit in November.

Now, a Brit friend who is coming to visit in October tells me that all UK citizens have to visit the US Embassy in London to get fingerprinted for a new Visa requirement, starting in October.

Anyone know if this is true ? Her travel agent apparently did not mention it.

The thought of my Mother having to deal with the US Immigration Nazis in London is horrific.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 10:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Visa requirements for UK visitors ?

Not true.

As long as she has a machine readable passport and is a British citizen she can continue to use the visa waiver program after Oct 26, 2004:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/tempvis...sa_waiver.html

Fingerprinting of visitors to the US on the visa waiver program will commence on Sept 30th.

I strongly suggest you keep in touch with US visa developments via the State Dept website.

Jeremy

Originally posted by TRPardoe
My 84 year old Mother has just booked an air ticket to come and visit in November.

Now, a Brit friend who is coming to visit in October tells me that all UK citizens have to visit the US Embassy in London to get fingerprinted for a new Visa requirement, starting in October.

The thought of my Mother having to deal with the US Immigration Nazis in London is horrific.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 12:53 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I just checked this out as my sister said the same thing to me. I looked at the US Embassy in London and (like JAJ says) it says that as long as it is a machine readable passport it is fine. I was fingerprinted and photographed on my way back in to the US in March so that has already started. It only takes a few minutes.

Maggie

Old Jul 19th 2004, 12:27 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Maggs
Hi

I just checked this out as my sister said the same thing to me. I looked at the US Embassy in London and (like JAJ says) it says that as long as it is a machine readable passport it is fine. I was fingerprinted and photographed on my way back in to the US in March so that has already started. It only takes a few minutes.

Maggie
I presume that the "modern" EEC British Passport, the red one, is machine readable whereas the old Blue Passport would not have been ?
Old Jul 19th 2004, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

All this is to counter the possibility that terrorists could hold a UK passport. Bizarre as more irish terrorists have travelled to the UK on US passports than other terrorists travelling to the US on UK ones.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

grahamalistair is an unknown quantity at this point

Not true - I have just got back from the US -spent 1 month there on Visa waiver - a company that wants to employ me is applying for a H1-B visa
Old Jul 19th 2004, 3:10 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about that, but mine was issued in 1998 ( a red one) and is machine readable. There was a thread on the immigration or visa forum within the last week discussing what the machine readable passports look like and one included a link to a photograph of a machne readable passport. Might be worth look.

Maggie

I presume that the "modern" EEC British Passport, the red one, is machine readable whereas the old Blue Passport would not have been ?
Old Jul 19th 2004, 4:09 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Are there still any blue passports in circulation? I got my first red one in 1991, valid for ten years. Surely all the blue ones would have long expired by now?
Old Jul 19th 2004, 4:28 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

My old blue passport expired in 2001 and I was rather sorry to see it go. Still, I'd rather have the new one than the hassle of not having the machine readable bit. The old ones looked kinda classic though.