Reload this Page >

New to the USA.

New to the USA.

Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Modiemay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to the USA.

Hello,

I recently moved from Essex, UK to the States. I am currently in an apartment in NYC but we are moving out to Summit, NJ in just over a week.

I have to admit, that although I am technically British I was actually born and raised in NZ and then moved to the UK over 12yrs ago and have married and had 3children there. All my adult life has so far been spent in the UK, so I hope you will still have me here on this forum.

I am wondering if anybody on here lives in or around Summit, NJ? Or if anyone can give me some advice on how to enroll in pre-k for my 4yr old. Any advice for anything will be much appreciated - even if it's to tell me what products to avoid and what are good ones! Food, cleaning etc.

Also, we bought our carseats with us but can anyone tell me if we are able to use them here? I can't find anything that says it's ok, but I can't find anything that says it's NOT ok either.

hope to hear from you soon.

Mel x
Old Nov 8th 2011, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the USA.

Hi and welcome. Hope you're settling in ok. It took me about 12-18 months to finally feel I was getting things sorted this side of the pond.
I moved with 2 small children and it helped to get to know the other moms in the area.
Sorry I can't give more advice than that...my kids are now in high school so no idea about the car seats (probably all changed since wew owned one).
I'm sure someone will be along soon with some top tips!
Old Nov 8th 2011, 5:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Modiemay
Hello,

I recently moved from Essex, UK to the States. I am currently in an apartment in NYC but we are moving out to Summit, NJ in just over a week.

I have to admit, that although I am technically British I was actually born and raised in NZ and then moved to the UK over 12yrs ago and have married and had 3children there. All my adult life has so far been spent in the UK, so I hope you will still have me here on this forum.

I am wondering if anybody on here lives in or around Summit, NJ? Or if anyone can give me some advice on how to enroll in pre-k for my 4yr old. Any advice for anything will be much appreciated - even if it's to tell me what products to avoid and what are good ones! Food, cleaning etc.

Also, we bought our carseats with us but can anyone tell me if we are able to use them here? I can't find anything that says it's ok, but I can't find anything that says it's NOT ok either.

hope to hear from you soon.

Mel x
Hi and welcome to BE.

I live about 30 minutes away from you but there are quite a few others that live nearer. Sorry I can't help you with your questions about your children...but I'm sure someone will be around soon to help you.

Maybe I'll bump into you one day at The Mall At Short Hills.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I have heard of Short Hills Mall and have checked it out online. I look forward to visiting. I am hoping to find some craft groups around somewhere close by as well.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

What is and is not required and/or allowed wrt car seats for infants will be different in every state so you will have to figure out what the law is in New Jersey ...
Old Nov 8th 2011, 7:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck with everything!

There's a few folks in that neck of the woods.

As for the kid, just call around, see who's still taking enrollment and pay deposit...that's it really.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 7:59 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

You've found the best quality school system in NJ...Millburn/Summit amongst top ranking in NJ.
There are a few Brits in your area.
Preschool just call around and enroll.
Car seats not sure, but you can pick up good cheap ones at Toys r Us.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the welcome guys.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I have heard of Short Hills Mall and have checked it out online. I look forward to visiting. I am hoping to find some craft groups around somewhere close by as well.
Try looking at www.meetup.com for groups in your area
Old Nov 9th 2011, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever New Jersey's version of the Department of Motor Vehicles will be able to tell you about the car seat laws, look for a website.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 1:13 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

This is our basic primer on what you need to do to get your kids in school.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/What_d...kids_in_school

Of course, like everything in the USA, it varies greatly depending on the state, city (and in the case of schools) the neighborhood you live in. But it will give you some of the basics and you can adjust accordingly once you are settled in your new home.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

I would call either the local sheriff's office or the local fire station for info in car seats. Can find NO reason why it would be an issue
Old Nov 9th 2011, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the info guys. It's been great.

Great idea to phone the sherrif's office (gosh that seems so funny to write) or fire department regarding our carseats. If we have to buy them again, then that is what we have to do but of course we'd rather not!
Old Nov 9th 2011, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all the info guys. It's been great.

Great idea to phone the sherrif's office (gosh that seems so funny to write) or fire department regarding our carseats. If we have to buy them again, then that is what we have to do but of course we'd rather not!
Lol..he'll probably have a ten galloon hat and spurs right??

Thinking about the car seat, they would be universal, since car specifications would be largely similar...doubt VERY much there would be an issue!!!
Old Nov 9th 2011, 3:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
Thinking about the car seat, they would be universal, since car specifications would be largely similar...doubt VERY much there would be an issue!!!
For the car, probably not...for being used on any flights there might be though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.