Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New US Perm Resident - Driving License Confusion

New US Perm Resident - Driving License Confusion

Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

daniela is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New US Perm Resident - Driving License Confusion

I am a new US Perm Resident - entered 2 days ago in Miami (my wife and son are American). I am a dual UK/Australian citizen and have driving licenses from both these countries.

We will be in Miami/Florida for next 2 months at least and then plan to head to North Carolina to settle permanently (but we have no definite date for doing this).

I'm trying to work out what to do about getting a driving license - whether to get a Florida one first and then transfer it to NC, or whether to just get a NC license when we get there.

I'm also trying to understand whether I need to take a driving test in Florida or NC - or whether my UK/Aussie driving licenses somehow allow me to transfer them across. I am reading conflicting accounts online about not needing to sit an actual driving test in Florida.

I know that driving licenses are a common question and I have read a number of threads. I just can't seem to find anything that relates to my particular circumstances. If anyone has been through something similar to this or has info, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks
Daniel
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New US Perm Resident - Driving License Confusion

You generally need to take a test and obtain a driving license for the State in which you reside. Each State has different regulations.

(I don't think you need to obtain one in Florida however a fellow commenter will set things straight on that.)
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

As you will be staying longer than 30 days in Florida you will need to get a Florida DL. It involves two multiple choice tests (road rules and road signs) then a simple driving test, usually in the car park of the test centre. Look on the Florida DMV website for further details. The tests are as easy as you can get.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
As you will be staying longer than 30 days in Florida you will need to get a Florida DL. It involves two multiple choice tests (road rules and road signs) then a simple driving test, usually in the car park of the test centre. Look on the Florida DMV website for further details. The tests are as easy as you can get.
That may or may not necessarily be true but a Florida license is required within 30 days of establishing residency. Not working and living with relatives may possibly not be considered establishing residency but renting an apartment or working may.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Michael
That may or may not necessarily be true but a Florida license is required within 30 days of establishing residency. Not working and living with relatives may possibly not be considered establishing residency but renting an apartment or working may.
I did think of that, but as the OP said he has arrived as a permanent resident, (assuming he has a green card) and said he will be staying for 2 months or more in Florida. If, god forbid, he was in an accident, insurance will do anything to get out of paying. I can just see it now 'technically you were not licensed to drive in Florida therefore the insurance is invalid'.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 12:21 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daniela
I'm trying to work out what to do about getting a driving license - whether to get a Florida one first and then transfer it to NC, or whether to just get a NC license when we get there.
A quick check suggests that a "transfer" is not going to be an option.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 2:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
A quick check suggests that a "transfer" is not going to be an option.
I think he means exchange, and he can easily swap an FL license for an NC one with minimal effort - if I remember correctly he'd have to do the road sign recognition test, but certainly not a road test. So if obtaining a FL license, and getting the road test out of the way down there is an option (and per above advice it may be recommended or required) it would be a good idea.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think he means exchange, and he can easily swap an FL license for an NC one with minimal effort - if I remember correctly he'd have to do the road sign recognition test, but certainly not a road test. So if obtaining a FL license, and getting the road test out of the way down there is an option (and per above advice it may be recommended or required) it would be a good idea.
Nothing in NC about having to have had the previous state license x months/years?

Only mention it as I think MA requires you to have had a previous state license for a year for a straight exchange, or for 3 years if under 21 or some such age that didn't apply to me.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

daniela is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all of the posts. I am going to check with NC DMV to see if there is a minimum time period I need to have held a license in order to transfer a Fla license. If there isn't, I reckon I'll go for the Florida license and then transfer across. Cheers Daniel
Old Jan 11th 2013, 4:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The green card gives you residency status in the United States, not residency status in a particular state. As you are using the State of Florida as a temporary place where you will make a decision on where your future permanent resident will be, I would not bother with getting a Florida license. The only except would be if you were planning on taking employment in the State, even for a few months, before you put down roots permanently elsewhere.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 4:59 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yes, I understood the intention - or think I did. My note was regarding NC not being a straightforward swap, as in some other states. OP will have to do not only the road sign test but the vision test and the written test too - essentially everything except the easy bit (the road test)
Old Jan 11th 2013, 5:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Nothing in NC about having to have had the previous state license x months/years?
Good question, but I don't know off hand. I know that I'd had the license I turned in less than one year though.