British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   new tires (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/new-tires-661564/)

dgjamison Mar 28th 2010 5:29 pm

new tires

Can anyone recommend a good tire buying and fitting company in western ny, have just been told need 4 new tires at a very high price, any suggestions would be good thanks:thumbsup:

nettlebed Mar 28th 2010 5:52 pm

Re: new tires

Originally Posted by dgjamison (Post 8455228)
Can anyone recommend a good tire buying and fitting company in western ny, have just been told need 4 new tires at a very high price, any suggestions would be good thanks:thumbsup:

I always get tires at Costco. You closest one is probably St Catherine's, ON.

dgjamison Mar 28th 2010 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 8455265)

Thank you have just been looking at their web page:D

S Folinsky Mar 28th 2010 6:02 pm

I have found that various tire stores may have a sale going on at any given time. My last set of shoes came from Costco. The 4 before that from Discount Tire. Both were Michelins.

dgjamison Mar 28th 2010 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 8455277)
I have found that various tire stores may have a sale going on at any given time. My last set of shoes came from Costco. The 4 before that from Discount Tire. Both were Michelins.

Hi and thank you, can I ask is Discount Tire, near Buffalo, we live in Fort Erie on the Canadian side of the border, but are going to the us on wednesday for 4 months, do this company fit the tires as well? Thanking you again:thumbup:

nettlebed Mar 28th 2010 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by dgjamison (Post 8455275)
Thank you have just been looking at their web page:D

At least in the US right now, there's a $70 discount on a set of any 4 Michelins.

dgjamison Mar 28th 2010 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 8455308)
At least in the US right now, there's a $70 discount on a set of any 4 Michelins.

thanks again:thumbsup:

franc11s Mar 29th 2010 11:48 am

Costco are definitely the best deals and they don[t ding you on the rotation and other stuff. You can phone the local store for a quote or go on. They will order specials they don't stock.

I have found though, other garages locally will match their quote so once you know the cost, shop around and choose your fav installer.

Awesome Welles Mar 29th 2010 1:58 pm

www.tirerack.com

avanutria Mar 29th 2010 3:54 pm

There are two alternatives to Costco located in the western NY area, called Sam's Club and BJ's Wholesaler Club. Both are big warehouse styles like Costco. They may have similar tire prices.

http://www.bjs.com/
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/index.jsp

Bob Mar 29th 2010 7:48 pm

tirerack mentioned above has great rates and then get a local place to stick them on.

Thing that amuses me though, getting a set switched over costs $35 in Maine to get done, anywhere down in MA runs you $100 to switch them over.

Oh, if your a AAA member, there's one of those tyre chain places that gives you a discount too, so that's worth checking.

S Folinsky Mar 29th 2010 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by dgjamison (Post 8455293)
Hi and thank you, can I ask is Discount Tire, near Buffalo, we live in Fort Erie on the Canadian side of the border, but are going to the us on wednesday for 4 months, do this company fit the tires as well? Thanking you again:thumbup:

The advertising function in BE caused a link to "Discount Tire" to appear at the bottom.

It seems that I was referring to "Discount Tire Centers" -- a local chain in So.Cal.

Point was that there might be alternatives. Discount Tire Center is really nice because, like Costco, you don't have to worry about rotation and balancing.

Noorah101 Mar 29th 2010 10:53 pm

Ditto. Costco tires never did me wrong.

Rene

augigi Mar 30th 2010 12:44 am

Just needed 4 new ones - Costco didn't have the ones I wanted in stock, on 4-6 week backorder. Ended up going to a local place called Discount Tire (Pittsburgh) that was great. They put on Uniroyal tires, which were recommended to me by a couple of friends that have had them too. $65.95 per tire and they didn't charge for balancing, putting them on etc.

Didn't realize how crap the car was driving til I got new brakes, new rotors and new tires!!

Tarkak9 Apr 1st 2010 7:31 pm

just negotiate.... I always do.
There is so much mark up on tires and the 'balancing' etc cost is extra margin. Cash is king!!