British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   New SSN card through London Federal benefits unit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/new-ssn-card-through-london-federal-benefits-unit-916144/)

kph100 Aug 16th 2018 10:16 am

New SSN card through London Federal benefits unit

Hi

Has anyone used Federal benefits unit at London Embassy to get new SSN card.
Wife applied sending supporting evidence, in order to get SSN record changed to marriage name.
Supporting documents like, passport / marriage cert etc were returned very promptly.

Does this mean that the application to change name has been accepted and just need to wait for card to be posted from USA or is all the processing done in the USA as opposed to the unit in the Embassy.

If anyone has done this through London would be helpful to have an idea of timescales as need to send a tax return to IRS and want to make sure the name change has been changed on the SSN record as she is submitting tax return in her maiden name.

Thank you

Cook_County Aug 16th 2018 10:56 am

Re: New SSN card through London Federal benefits unit

The US tax return can easily be extended to 15 December (assuming a Form 4868 was filed). There is plenty of time to check.

kph100 Aug 16th 2018 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Cook_County (Post 12549214)
The US tax return can easily be extended to 15 December (assuming a Form 4868 was filed). There is plenty of time to check.

She will be filign under the streamline procedure to catch up, as she had no awareness that she had to file USA tax returns as all income assets here in UK. Now she knows !

and will be submitting a petition for me when tax sent, so just wanted to do asap.

Thanks

Cook_County Aug 16th 2018 11:26 am

Hopefully she is using a tax professional to advise her; what does he or she say about this question?

Noorah101 Aug 16th 2018 12:55 pm

Her SSN stays the same either way, so in my opinion, no need to wait for the official card to arrive. She can file the tax returns now.

Rene

kph100 Aug 16th 2018 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12549269)
Her SSN stays the same either way, so in my opinion, no need to wait for the official card to arrive. She can file the tax returns now.

Rene

I think i got the original question wqong ...duh

I should of put she is filing tax return in her married name (not maiden name ) so thats why want to file after the SSN record had definately changed to the married name to avoid any issues with the IRS.
I think we will just submit a covering letter explaining, just in case the record hadnt changed.

Thank you all.

Cook_County Aug 17th 2018 6:04 am

Originally Posted by kph100 (Post 12549469)
I think i got the original question wqong ...duh

I should of put she is filing tax return in her married name (not maiden name ) so thats why want to file after the SSN record had definately changed to the married name to avoid any issues with the IRS.
I think we will just submit a covering letter explaining, just in case the record hadnt changed.

Thank you all.

Is she claiming a refund from the IRS? If so, she'll want the tax returns to use a name that can cash a cheque in.

MidAtlantic Aug 17th 2018 11:26 am

Goodness, people get married/change their name all the time. You have her SSN, that is the unique identifier. Just file "Ann Smith (previously Jones)".

kph100 Aug 17th 2018 11:28 am

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12549850)
Goodness, people get married/change their name all the time. You have her SSN, that is the unique identifier. Just file "Ann Smith (previously Jones)".

Ok thank you !

Just didn't want to send package from UK and have it returned, as people on forums had that issue, but thank you.

Cook_County Aug 18th 2018 7:30 am

Originally Posted by kph100 (Post 12549854)
Ok thank you !

Just didn't want to send package from UK and have it returned, as people on forums had that issue, but thank you.

Goodness; I have filed hundreds of streamlined returns and never had a single one returned. Sounds like an urban myth.

kph100 Aug 18th 2018 12:45 pm

well the person said it had been returned because the return was in a different name than the SS record, ie the person hadn't updated there SS record to their new name , hence my original question.

Thank you all , just going to submit in new name with covering letter saying had applied to embassy for name change on SS record, just incase it hadnt been updated yet.

Have a great day

Cook_County Aug 19th 2018 7:13 am

Originally Posted by kph100 (Post 12550454)
well the person said it had been returned because the return was in a different name than the SS record, ie the person hadn't updated there SS record to their new name , hence my original question.

Thank you all , just going to submit in new name with covering letter saying had applied to embassy for name change on SS record, just incase it hadnt been updated yet.

Have a great day

The IRS do not have processes to read letters. The obligation if she is using the procedures is to file Form 14653; and returns reporting worldwide income (eg wages, employer pension contributions, ISA income) and 6 delinquent FBARs.