Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New SSN - Bank Unable to Verify Application Information

New SSN - Bank Unable to Verify Application Information

Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

toastytoast33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New SSN - Bank Unable to Verify Application Information

Well I just registered for online banking with Huntington and found that I have a "Premium" savings account that I never asked for in addition to my free checking account.

After some discussion with Huntington it was revealed that the guy in the local branch who opened my account had thought it was a good idea to open me a premium savings account and waive the first six months fees without asking me or mentioning anything about it.

Strange but at the time he got me to sign two forms. Being a bit naive I signed them without paying too much attention. I was wondering afterwards why there were two forms and just assumed one was for the account and one was for the check card.

The person I spoke to at Huntinton said that the premium savings account will close in 45 days if I don't make a deposit and I won't pay any charges but that's not the point is it?
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toastytoast33
Well I just registered for online banking with Huntington and found that I have a "Premium" savings account that I never asked for in addition to my free checking account.

After some discussion with Huntington it was revealed that the guy in the local branch who opened my account had thought it was a good idea to open me a premium savings account and waive the first six months fees without asking me or mentioning anything about it.

Strange but at the time he got me to sign two forms. Being a bit naive I signed them without paying too much attention. I was wondering afterwards why there were two forms and just assumed one was for the account and one was for the check card.

The person I spoke to at Huntinton said that the premium savings account will close in 45 days if I don't make a deposit and I won't pay any charges but that's not the point is it?
Banking laws here are virtually non existent compared with the UK. The bank can more or less do what it wants without your permission. I've have large amounts ($50K+) deposited then withdrawn from my account without my knowledge or permission.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 6:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toastytoast33
I had tried to open an account before I had my SSN with a couple of banks (Huntington, 5/3 Bank) and was told that because of the Patriot Act I couldn't open an account without a SSN.
There just being lazy...ask to speak to someone higher up, because all you have to do is provide proof of ID, so a passport or drivers license will do, but most people here use a SSN number.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

As has been mentioned, Bank of America!

Might help to change your name to Pan Tostado.

One of my local banks wanted a fingerprint for a Library account I am on? We compromised on a smudged one that would be no use to anyone.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:27 pm
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Most banking staff don't have any brain cells. They'll tell you anything just to get rid of you. I went into my bank yesterday to send an International Wire Transfer....the doppy bugger left two zeros of the amount.:curse:
Bank employees are representative of the population which means inevitably people with your level of intellect will end up working in some.

That being said you can open an account without a social/having applied for but not yet received a social or with a newly issue social. If you aren't a citizen then with or without social you just need to fill out one of the w8 forms. There are 5 variants of it depending on your particular status. You can open an account with a Passport assuming you don't have a state issued id. Some small banks impose (illegally) extra requirements on new customers and there is a grey area there now which some of those small banks try to exploit to minimise their risk. However if you go to B.O.A., Wachovia, Wells Fargo, Citibank etc you should be good. Sometimes because it's not a daily occurence to open accounts for non citizens you may get passed around between a few people but basically they will get it done. How do I know ?
Because I work in a bank and just last week I helped a German with no social and no intent to apply for one and his wife he had applied for one but not received it yet.

As far as getting more accounts than you wanted, all banks operate as sales environments these days and every employee/branch has "sales goals" in terms of dollars deposited/loans given out and accounts you've opened.
It is illiegal (it's termed as tyeing) to make you open more accounts/services than you need but some unscrupulous employees will do things like that because of the immense sales pressure they are under.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:34 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggerwood
Bank employees are representative of the population which means inevitably people with your level of intellect will end up working in some..
Don't be rude to other members ....
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:37 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Have had bad experiences with Huntington and will never bank with them again. They just never were very customer friendly even though we though we had a checking account, HELOC and car loan with them.

Now we're with National City and everything has been great so far.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:37 pm
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Are you actually kidding me ?
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:42 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Bank employees are representative of the population which means inevitably people with your level of intellect will end up working in some.
you are unbelievable and you wonder why people won't take your opinion seriously
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Are you actually kidding me ?
No, treat people like shit and what do you expect.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:31 pm
Banned

moving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud of

be careful with banks. sometimes they charge you fees you shouldnt be charged.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That being said you can open an account without a social/having applied for but not yet received a social or with a newly issue social. If you aren't a citizen then with or without social you just need to fill out one of the w8 forms. There are 5 variants of it depending on your particular status. You can open an account with a Passport assuming you don't have a state issued id. Some small banks impose (illegally) extra requirements on new customers and there is a grey area there now which some of those small banks try to exploit to minimise their risk. However if you go to B.O.A., Wachovia, Wells Fargo, Citibank etc you should be good. Sometimes because it's not a daily occurence to open accounts for non citizens you may get passed around between a few people but basically they will get it done. How do I know ?
Because I work in a bank and just last week I helped a German with no social and no intent to apply for one and his wife he had applied for one but not received it yet.

As far as getting more accounts than you wanted, all banks operate as sales environments these days and every employee/branch has "sales goals" in terms of dollars deposited/loans given out and accounts you've opened.
It is illiegal (it's termed as tyeing) to make you open more accounts/services than you need but some unscrupulous employees will do things like that because of the immense sales pressure they are under.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 1:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
aye, banks..well a certain large one, they provide incentives for people to flog worthless crap on customers like credit protection, it's already included and doesn't cover you nearly as well as they make it sound...they get bonuses for refusing you your rates, for flogging extra loans, all sorts of crap...it's pretty twisted.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 1:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob
aye, banks..well a certain large one, they provide incentives for people to flog worthless crap on customers like credit protection, it's already included and doesn't cover you nearly as well as they make it sound...they get bonuses for refusing you your rates, for flogging extra loans, all sorts of crap...it's pretty twisted.
Hey Bob...whatcha doin? It's Valentines Day...now bugger off and spend time with the missus.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 1:51 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
Not that youcare what I say but you can double your incentive as a bank worker by tacking on credit insurance which only covers up to $50k of someones loan or mortgage. I personally don't do this but I know that people do and just gloss over it and folks don't notice with so many things to sign.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.