Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New SSN - Bank Unable to Verify Application Information

New SSN - Bank Unable to Verify Application Information

Old Feb 10th 2007, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

toastytoast33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question New SSN - Bank Unable to Verify Application Information

I recently received my work authorization, applied for a SSN, received that. Applied for a state ID and then applied for a bank account with Huntington online.

Now Huntington has told me that they can't open the account through the customer service center because they are unable to verify my application information.

I'm guessing that the SSN hasn't made it into the database they use to verify the application. Question is how long will this take?

I can go into my local bank office with all my ID and do it that way but I also applied for a pre-paid credit card which I have the same problem with. There is no local office for the pre-paid credit card.

Any help will be much appreciated
Old Feb 10th 2007, 8:13 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New SSN - Bank Unable to Verify Application Information

Originally Posted by toastytoast33
I recently received my work authorization, applied for a SSN, received that. Applied for a state ID and then applied for a bank account with Huntington online.

Now Huntington has told me that they can't open the account through the customer service center because they are unable to verify my application information.

I'm guessing that the SSN hasn't made it into the database they use to
I had that years ago ... Demand service or change banks
take the SS card with you ....
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that you don't need an SSN to open an account, just a form of ID, means there probably either just inept or a bunch of plonkers...tell them to pull their finger out when you visit the branch...
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:51 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing that the SSN hasn't made it into the database they use to verify the application. Question is how long will this take?

I can go into my local bank office with all my ID and do it that way but I also applied for a pre-paid credit card which I have the same problem with. There is no local office for the pre-paid credit card.

Any help will be much appreciated
I've never heard of Huntington - are they a small outfit? If so, they're probably not used to dealing with the likes of you.

Expats without credit history or SSN tend to fare better with the big guys like (Bob close your ears... ) ........... Bank of America.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 2:48 am

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

This happens a lot with newly assigned SSNs. Now how long it takes is going to depend on what the bank is using to determine if the SSN is valid.

A lot of companies use the High Group list put out by SSA.

The SSN is made up of:

Area Group Serial (AAA-GG-SSSS)

The Areas are assigned by State and SSA puts out a High Group list that shows the highest Group assigned within each Area.

Check the February 2007 list and see if your number is there. If it has an * next to the number, i.e. 044 11*, it's a Group within that Area that just started to be assigned and the bank is probably using an old list. If it isn't there hopefully it will be on the next list.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/employ...vhighgroup.htm

Need to keep in mind Groups aren't used 01, 02, 03, etc.

SSN - Order of Issuance
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/employer/ssnweb.htm

For administrative reasons, Group numbers issued first consist of the ODD numbers from 01 through 09 and then EVEN numbers from 10 through 98, within each Area number allocated to a State. After all numbers in Group 98 of a particular area have been issued, the EVEN Groups 02 through 08 are used, followed by ODD Groups 11 through 99.

Your options are

1. Try another bank
2. Go to SSA office and ask for SSN Verification Printout. Say you need it for an employer or they might not give it to you or try to charge you.
3. Call the SSA 800# (1-800-772-1213) while at the bank and have SSA tell the bank it's your SSN.
4. Wait until the next High Group list comes out (if your SSN isn't on the current list or from a newly used Group on the current list).
Old Feb 11th 2007, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of

When I opened an account in US bank, they asked for my SSN. When they entered my SSN into their system , It automatically checked my credit history and found out that I have have none, at first they were hesitant to open the account but but they still let me after I showed my driver license as ID , and the cash ready to be deposited.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mdyoung
Check the February 2007 list and see if your number is there. If it has an * next to the number, i.e. 044 11*, it's a Group within that Area that just started to be assigned and the bank is probably using an old list. If it isn't there hopefully it will be on the next list.
I'm on the February 2007 list (my number has a * next to it). If I wait until the March 2007 list is issued will that do it?

The bank account is less of a problem than the pre-paid credit card I had applied for.

Thanks
Old Feb 11th 2007, 3:57 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm on the February 2007 list (my number has a * next to it). If I wait until the March 2007 list is issued will that do it?
That probably explains why they said your SSN wasn't valid. Now whether waiting for the next High Group will solve the problem depends on how fast they up date the info they are using.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

I went into my local Huntington and provided them with my Social Security card, State ID and Passport and they opened me a checking account without any problem.

I also called the pre-paid credit card company to complain and was told to fax them a copy of my Social Security card and State ID. They also let me open an account with them so it looks like everything is resolved.

Now i'm just wondering how i'm going to check when my Social Security number gets "into the system".

Last edited by toastytoast33; Feb 14th 2007 at 3:02 pm. Reason: Because I can't spell before i've had my morning coffee
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

kel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to behold

We opened one with Wells Fargo without an SSN and just added it when it came through.

No questions were asked and the only id we had was UK passport.

Issy
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:11 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kel.n.issy
We opened one with Wells Fargo without an SSN and just added it when it came through.

Issy
Thats exactly as it should be ...Some banks have got
their act together some are still in the 50s ....
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kel.n.issy

Issy
I had tried to open an account before I had my SSN with a couple of banks (Huntington, 5/3 Bank) and was told that because of the Patriot Act I couldn't open an account without a SSN.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

kel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to behold

We went with WELLS as they are a big bank and the company my husband works for uses them so they recommmended them and we walked straight in with not one problem, we still have a pretty small atm daily limit and a restricted purchse amount per day on our debit cards but that should disappear after 6 months and also they gave us check books and cards no problem.

they even cleared checks overnight right from the beginning, I couldnt speak highly enough of them ( as US banks go)!!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:31 pm
Ray

I had tried to open an account before I had my SSN with a couple of banks (Huntington, 5/3 Bank) and was told that because of the Patriot Act I couldn't open an account without a SSN.
What nonsense ..There is no requirement in the Act to provide a SSN
Thankfully some Banks ctually read the Act ...
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
What nonsense ..There is no requirement in the Act to provide a SSN
Thankfully some Banks ctually read the Act ...
Most banking staff don't have any brain cells. They'll tell you anything just to get rid of you. I went into my bank yesterday to send an International Wire Transfer....the doppy bugger left two zeros of the amount.:curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.