Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New to the site

New to the site

Old Aug 18th 2011, 12:36 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
rhdgsn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to the site

Hello there,

My name is Rachel and I'm looking at moving to the US. I'm currently doing a degree in sign language interpretation (focusing on British sign language but learning American sign language too). I was really wondering if my degree will help me in finding work in America or is it not specialised enough? I know that someone would have to sponser me or I would have to find a company in the UK who would send me over to work in the States. I was just wondering if my line of work is something that would be attractive to prospective employers. I would love to go to New York but would look at moving anywhere where there is work in all honesty. My boyfriend is a US citizen but a marriage visa isn't really on the cards right now!

Any information would be great and really appreciated.

Thank you
rhdgsn is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2011, 12:58 pm
  #2  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 38,867
ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the site

Originally Posted by rhdgsn View Post
I was really wondering if my degree will help me in finding work in America or is it not specialised enough?
I think that ASL would be considered a specialty, but would it get you a job? Hard to say. Have you researched ASL schools or businesses that might use their services? That might help you get started.


My boyfriend is a US citizen but a marriage visa isn't really on the cards right now!
I hear wedding bells!

Ian
ian-mstm is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2011, 9:32 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
rhdgsn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to the site

Thanks for the reply
Yes, I had a look at some of the websites of the companies that use interpreters and the volume of iterpreters needed right now is large. My only concern would be that it would be infintely easier and would make more sense to the companies to employ an American with official specific ASL qualifications than a Brit with BSL qualifications and experience in ASL.

Ha! You may hear wedding bells but they're faint and from the future
rhdgsn is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2011, 9:54 pm
  #4  
Yes, I know i'm awesome.
 
ljaw2002uk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 624
ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the site

Originally Posted by rhdgsn View Post
Ha! You may hear wedding bells but they're faint and from the future
They may get louder when you realise marriage is a much faster route to your desired result..
ljaw2002uk is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2011, 11:07 pm
  #5  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,209
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the site

Originally Posted by rhdgsn View Post
Hello there,

My name is Rachel and I'm looking at moving to the US. I'm currently doing a degree in sign language interpretation (focusing on British sign language but learning American sign language too). I was really wondering if my degree will help me in finding work in America or is it not specialised enough? I know that someone would have to sponser me or I would have to find a company in the UK who would send me over to work in the States. I was just wondering if my line of work is something that would be attractive to prospective employers. I would love to go to New York but would look at moving anywhere where there is work in all honesty. My boyfriend is a US citizen but a marriage visa isn't really on the cards right now!

Any information would be great and really appreciated.

Thank you
I think it will be an uphill battle until you guys are ready to get married.

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Aug 19th 2011, 2:53 am
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
rhdgsn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to the site

Thanks everyone for the comments. Seem I'm finding myself in the same situation as alot of people. Fingers crossed I manage to work something out. I'm looking at doing a years study over in the states via my university so hopefully I'll be able to do some networking while I'm there and just keep positive that maybe something will come of it. Long shot I know but it's something at least.

Thanks again everyone!
rhdgsn is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.