Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

new to savannah GA

new to savannah GA

Old May 29th 2014, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

gillian1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new to savannah GA

Hi ya'll, My name is Gillian. I am from the UK and have recently located to Savannah from PA. I would love to meet with any expats in town
Old May 29th 2014, 7:34 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new to savannah GA

Welcome to the Greenhouse! We're up here near Athens in the NE of the state - it's been a moist one today and the thunderstorms are rolling in
Old May 29th 2014, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Hi there,

That thunder you speak of is with me right now, my dog is hiding under my desk as I type

Athens, that's one Athens I haven't visited, didn't know there was two
Old May 29th 2014, 8:15 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Athens, Greece
Athens, Alabama
Athens, Arkansas
Athens, California
Athens, Georgia
Athens, Illinois
Athens, Indiana
Athens, Kentucky
Athens, Louisiana
Athens, Maine
Athens, Michigan
Athens, Mississippi
Athens, Missouri
Athens, New York
Athens, New York
Athens, Ohio
Athens County, Ohio
Athens, Pennsylvania
Athens, Tennessee
Athens, Texas
Athens, Vermont
Athens, West Virginia
Athens, Wisconsin

Which did you visit?
Old May 29th 2014, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome, Gillian.....
We're up here in Acworth, just NW of Atlanta.
I'm from London, and the Old Guy's from the Midwest.... and we first met in Egypt.
Been here almost 8 years now.

Ohhh.... and the weather's hot hot hot up here today.....played golf this morning and almost passed out from heatstroke!!
Old May 29th 2014, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in NE Georgia. Spent a lot of time in the courthouse in Savannah when I started my current job (which I leave next week for a new opportunity).

Found a reasonable curry house off of bercorn. Don't know if it's still there, but if you like seafood, you MUST go to Love's (near the Walmart out near I95).
Old May 30th 2014, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
Athens, Greece
Athens, Alabama
Athens, Arkansas
Athens, California
Athens, Georgia
Athens, Illinois
Athens, Indiana
Athens, Kentucky
Athens, Louisiana
Athens, Maine
Athens, Michigan
Athens, Mississippi
Athens, Missouri
Athens, New York
Athens, New York
Athens, Ohio
Athens County, Ohio
Athens, Pennsylvania
Athens, Tennessee
Athens, Texas
Athens, Vermont
Athens, West Virginia
Athens, Wisconsin

Which did you visit?
WOW, the American's really need to use a little imagination when naming their cities!

Greece is the only Athens I'm familiar with!!
Old May 30th 2014, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I'm in NE Georgia. Spent a lot of time in the courthouse in Savannah when I started my current job (which I leave next week for a new opportunity).

Found a reasonable curry house off of bercorn. Don't know if it's still there, but if you like seafood, you MUST go to Love's (near the Walmart out near I95).
Hi there, thank for the tips on where to eat. I have been here a few months now and have tried both Indian restaurants off Abercorn, neither anything to write home about, but any port, hey Regards Love's, it's just up the road from me and across the road from a nice park so it's a local

TheCourthouse? Hope you were on the right side of the Judge
Old May 30th 2014, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mamasue
Welcome, Gillian.....
We're up here in Acworth, just NW of Atlanta.
I'm from London, and the Old Guy's from the Midwest.... and we first met in Egypt.
Been here almost 8 years now.

Ohhh.... and the weather's hot hot hot up here today.....played golf this morning and almost passed out from heatstroke!!
Hi there, and thanks for the message, it's good to know you're out there, albeit so far away

I'm from Skipton, North Yorks. I've been in the US for 4 years now, most of which spent in PA, beautiful but we really needed some sun on our face so we bought a manufacturing business in Savannah. I feel like I'm home in the sun here, it's the closest place to old Blighty in the US that I know of

I also lived in Egypt, I was in Syeda Zainab, Cairo. I was there through one of their hottest summers on record.
Old May 30th 2014, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gillian1967
Hi there, thank for the tips on where to eat. I have been here a few months now and have tried both Indian restaurants off Abercorn, neither anything to write home about, but any port, hey Regards Love's, it's just up the road from me and across the road from a nice park so it's a local

TheCourthouse? Hope you were on the right side of the Judge

Yes, I was scanning real estate records, so well clear of the wrong end of the law!

I did say 'reasonable' with regard to the curry house. You're right that they're nothing to write home about, but when it's all you can get, it'll do.

I used to stay at the Wingate, so I would drive in for the evening to eat. Found a few favorites. Tended to stay clear of River Street as it's more for tourists as you already know.

My company (until next week!) attends a conference for Superior Court Clerks once a year which is downtown and the past couple of years, they've hosted a lunch at Paula Dean's restaurant. I've never got to go, but it's supposed to be very good - and then, of course, there's the Pirate House! Yum.
Old May 30th 2014, 4:54 pm
Often not so civil...

WOW, the American's really need to use a little imagination when naming their cities!

Greece is the only Athens I'm familiar with!!
Me too prior to moving here
Old May 30th 2014, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Guindalf

Yes, I was scanning real estate records, so well clear of the wrong end of the law!

I did say 'reasonable' with regard to the curry house. You're right that they're nothing to write home about, but when it's all you can get, it'll do.

I used to stay at the Wingate, so I would drive in for the evening to eat. Found a few favorites. Tended to stay clear of River Street as it's more for tourists as you already know.

My company (until next week!) attends a conference for Superior Court Clerks once a year which is downtown and the past couple of years, they've hosted a lunch at Paula Dean's restaurant. I've never got to go, but it's supposed to be very good - and then, of course, there's the Pirate House! Yum.

Now you're talking, The Pirate's House, yes indeed yummm.. I love their biscuits and corn muffins with honey butter and marmalade, I go as often as my waistline allows, OK maybe more often than that, say every week Paula Deans has the best fried chicken I've ever had, given it's not something we eat often in Blighty it's not saying much though I'm married to a yank and he takes his hat off to the chicken I dont know if you ever tried The Chart House on Bay St'? It's hands down the best place for fried green tomatoes and molasses bread. I visit Blighty next month for the first time in over two year so I will be avoiding all the naughty but wonderful southern food till then If I go back super sized and wearing a baseball cap I'll be laughed out of town and barred from my local pub, just not worth the risk me thinks
Old May 30th 2014, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, and thanks for the message, it's good to know you're out there, albeit so far away

I'm from Skipton, North Yorks.
I also lived in Egypt, I was in Syeda Zainab, Cairo. I was there through one of their hottest summers on record.
I'm also originally a Yorkie.....Was born in Halifax, moved to London when I was a baby.
I worked in Egypt for almost 5 years....I was a scuba diving instructor, in Hurghada...until 2006.
The Old Guy had just retired, and was travelling around, he was in Dahab. We met online, after talking for a week or so, I invited him over for a coffee.... we got married 5 months later,. and we've been together 24/7 since then.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

WOW, a fellow impulsive Yorkie So tell me just how old is The Old Guy?!
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

WOW, a fellow impulsive Yorkie So tell me just how old is The Old Guy?!

Well, he's only 5 years older than me....we met when he was 59 and I was 55....
He took early retirement, and persuaded me that I needed to retire too...so I haven't done a stroke of work since then.
As we spend 3 months every winter in the far east, holding a job down would be too hard to do!!