British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   New Residents / Florida/ Driving Licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/new-residents-florida-driving-licence-905322/)

skyland235 Oct 31st 2017 9:24 pm

New Residents / Florida/ Driving Licence

Hi
I have been through many posts which relate to getting a Florida Driving Licence but unable to find when some one does NOT have 2 x Proofs of Residential Address...

For someone just moving and staying in a hotel,until suitable accomodation found- how can a Driving test etc be applied for

Any advice greatly appreciated
Thanks

zzrmark Nov 1st 2017 12:20 am

Re: New Residents / Florida/ Driving Licence

No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt if any State would class you as a resident when you're just bumming between hotels. Do you not have a licence from wherever it is you rocked up from, if so drive on it until such time as you find a place to live?

With just one proof of address (bank statement/paperwork being the most obvious, although proving your address without a licence....) you could get the owner of the property in which you reside to sign an affadavit vouching for your residency status at their place.

I have a feeling you may be entering the 'no licence, vehicle, bank account, property' vicious circle...

zzrmark Nov 1st 2017 12:26 am

Just read some previous posts of yours, if you have a bank account and PR status then you must have used a US address, is that one no longer an option?

Pulaski Nov 1st 2017 2:53 am

Originally Posted by zzrmark (Post 12372278)
No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt if any State would class you as a resident when you're just bumming between hotels. ....

I agree.

To be eligible for a state license you usually you need one or more factors that flag you as actually being resident - so owning a home or having a long term (more than a few weeks) lease would be a good start, but things such as having a job, starting a business, or enrolling your children on school would also indicate "residence" even if you're living out of an RV.

petitefrancaise Nov 1st 2017 3:03 am

How long does Florida give you before you are supposed to get a license?
eta
that probably if you don't have any permanent address then the clock doesn't start ticking until you do.

Chesten Nov 1st 2017 3:23 am

Originally Posted by skyland235 (Post 12372166)
Hi
I have been through many posts which relate to getting a Florida Driving Licence but unable to find when some one does NOT have 2 x Proofs of Residential Address...

For someone just moving and staying in a hotel,until suitable accomodation found- how can a Driving test etc be applied for

Thanks

Is the issue that you have NO proof or you have one but not two proofs?

I had the latter problem since lots of stuff was being set up in my husband's name. But I did have a bank account (opened using my former UK address on my UK driving licence as the verified main address and our corporate housing lodgings as the correspondence address). I used a letter received from BoA as address proof 1 and DMV in TN let me swear an affidavit to the effect I didn't have a second proof. (I also had to swear another affidavit about no SSN).

petitefrancaise Nov 1st 2017 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Chesten (Post 12372318)
Is the issue that you have NO proof or you have one but not two proofs?

I had the latter problem since lots of stuff was being set up in my husband's name. But I did have a bank account (opened using my former UK address on my drivers licence as the main address and our corporate housing lodgings as the correspondence address). I used a letter received from BoA as address proof 1 and DMV in TN let me swear an affidavit to the effect I didn't have a second proof. (I also had to swear another affidavit about no SSN).

Just a relocator's note here......

Always, always get both spouses names on the house/corporate lease and if possible list all occupants - including the kids on the lease for a house, especially if the kiddo is getting anywhere near 15 and may want a learner's permit.

skyland235 Nov 1st 2017 6:50 am

Hi
Thanks for responses-
to answer a few of these:
The address used to date has been in Cousins in New York and have ID there... It is in Florida that we do not have any proof.
I guess i could get bank stuff transfered to a mailing address in Florida but again it would be the one type only as i would have no utility blls etc.
I will look into this further

Chesten Nov 1st 2017 10:53 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12372319)

Always, always get both spouses names on the house/corporate lease and if possible list all occupants - including the kids on the lease for a house, especially if the kiddo is getting anywhere near 15 and may want a learner's permit.

That's very good advice; I did show stuff in my husband's name to DMV and the lady was sympathetic (and offered up the affidavit as a solution). Our RELO didn't suggest joint names but with hindsight that would've been the smart move.

Rete Nov 1st 2017 3:12 pm

While the various DMV's have a time limit on when you are to obtain a new or transfer a state license, if you are stopped by a traffic officer and give them your UK license, you should be fine. It need be, you can explain the delay in obtaining the state license.

No. 1 is to be obey the traffic laws and don't get stopped. No. 2 is to drive a car (assume it will be a rental since you won't have a state license) with that state's license plate because it makes a cop less likely to think you are a good pigeon to stop for a traffic violation. No. 3 you are moving to the land of the transient and almost the majority of those driving in Florida will be using out of state or international driving licenses.

Rete Nov 1st 2017 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12372319)

Landlords and management companies are not likely to place a child's name on a lease. Are you next going to suggest that the children's names be placed on the deed if they buy a home?

DMV, while not the most efficient government office, is not completely stupid and they understand that children normally live with a parent. The parent takes the kid to the DMV office showing them the parent's driver's license, the other required proof of address in their name, and the kid's birth certificate. How do you think Americans have been doing this for decades. :nod:

MidAtlantic Nov 1st 2017 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by skyland235 (Post 12372166)
Hi

Thanks

Are you even a resident yet? The definition appears to be:

If you move to Florida and have a valid license from another state, you must get a Florida license within 30 days of becoming a resident. You are considered a resident of Florida if you:

enroll your children in public school, or
register to vote, or
file for a homestead exemption, or
accept employment, or
reside in Florida for more than six consecutive months.

Pulaski Nov 1st 2017 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12372647)
Landlords and management companies are not likely to place a child's name on a lease. ....

Of course they aren't signatories to the lease, but they should be listed as residents. Why wouldn't a landlord require a list of authorized residents?

Rete Nov 1st 2017 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12372700)
Of course they aren't signatories to the lease, but they should be listed as residents. Why wouldn't a landlord require a list of authorized residents?

I know you enjoy bating me, but after renting apartments in New York for over 47 years, none of my landlords and/or management companies required the names of children for the lease or even asked if I had children.

Why would they? Children grow up and move away. You get divorced and the kids move out to live with the other parent. And what if you have more children? Is it mandated that you need to go to the landlord/management company and advise them that you have given birth to John Francis the III on January 1, 2018 so their records are up-to-date? No, it is not.

Now if it is a matter of adults living in the apartment, then yes, the lease can be, but does not have to be, included on the lease as a signatory when originally signed. My management company didn't give a rats' ass about my marriage in 1998 and didn't add my husband to the lease or in any of the subsequent renewals.

Nutmegger Nov 1st 2017 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12372730)

My management company didn't give a rats' ass about my marriage in 1998 and didn't add my husband to the lease or in any of the subsequent renewals.

Same experience here.