Reload this Page >

New to process and this board

New to process and this board

Old Sep 7th 2002, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

Kari is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to process and this board

Hello all,
I've never posted here, so please excuse any questions that may seem obvious! I've been lurking around for a couple of weeks. I come seeking advice and some encouragement at this point in our immigration "process". Hope someone here can point my "intended" and I in the right direction.

I am a US citizen, and he is English and we met on the net about a year and a half ago. I am going through a divorce which should be final in several weeks. He is just beginning the process, so obviously that will take some time. We both understand that to even initiate the K-1 visa petition we'll both need to have divorce decrees in hand, but we are "planners" and want some idea of what we're up against right from the start.

As I said, we met on the internet and have about a 17 month history, first as two couples who were friends. Things then became clear fairly soon that Tony and I weren't happy in our current marriages and we formed a bond that was almost instantaneous.

The problem is this. In researching what is required to file the K-1 Visa, we know that we're going to have to submit some sort of "evidence of a relationship" ---he's been to visit me here last Christmas with his family and there are pictures of all of us together (and a couple of just the two of us), and he made a trip alone here this past July and there are photos of us together by ourselves. These photos are not actual prints, but files downloaded onto my computer and his by way of his digital camera. Question number one is do they require actual "prints" to be submitted or can you send copies that are run off on your printer from your computer? Obviously we want to do this the correct way right from the start to avoid problems.

The second question involves our typical method of interaction, which has been by email or by telephone using a calling card that takes the expense of international calls down quite a bit. Because we've used these cards, we have some, very little phone bill documentation. The phone number that you're contacting does not show up on the monthly phone statement using a prepaid card. Any way to get around this part that doesn't involve selling everything we own to raise money to use the regular long distance company?

We had a problem this week also with the email accounts. (The technology gods seem to hate us lately). Between two accounts we had close to a thousand emails which very nicely chronicled the evolution of our relationship from a simple friendship to something more. It was in that space that we were able to share things that no one else could see. Last week I noticed that most of the emails from the earlier days seemed to be gone and alerted Tony of this, who in turn saved the remainder of them (about half) in a new folder, intending to burn them onto a cd. The same thing started happening to the second account and before we knew it, only about half of what was originally there was left to save. He contacted NTLWorld who of course, told him that there was nothing they could do and they were sorry.

If that wasn't bad enough, in the process of moving all of his things to his new house, somehow both the folders that the remaining emails were stored in got dumped in the recycle bin before the Cds were burned. We literally have lost 17 months of email contact and have *nothing* to show for it now. We're both panicking about that for several reasons; the first being that although we know we have some time to work up another email archive, the first 17 months is completely gone and figure that that doesn't look good for showing evidence. The second reason is that we've lost that written history of us that is so important to us personally. I guess after that rambling explanation, I'm wondering just how much detail they usually ask for, and how long they want the relationship to be before they consider it "valid"? Never having done this before, any details of your experiences would be so helpful to both of us.

Looks to me that there are some really helpful and caring people here, and we're hoping that someone can point us in the right direction with these questions, and maybe the process won't look so scary and daunting. Thanks in advance for your tolerance to my long-windedness!
Kari
(and Tony, AKA Polecat)
Old Sep 8th 2002, 3:12 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to process and this board

Welcome aboard Kari

I believe in planning to. To start with bookmark these sites for future reference. Also the INS website whiich is easy to locate by doing a Yahoo search.

The K1 FAQ http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/k1faq.htm

The Mysterious Sealed Brown Envelope http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm

http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

Don't worry overmuch about the proof. His airline boarding pass, the stamp in his passport, a handful of non-explicit emails, photographs in any photographic manner you have been are fine. The I-129F is to prove you have met in person and the K-1 will be the brunt of showing your relationship. The US Consulate in London is famous for not requiring a whole lot of proof of this and many people are disappointed that they lug mountains of items with them and are never asked for them.

As for your divorces, be sure that you have the decrees absolute when you file the I-129F.

Rete
Old Sep 8th 2002, 1:53 pm
Marcus

Kari:

I think at this point you will be fine, but this is only the very first stage; you
will have many more forms to complete, months/years to wait, before your partner gets
the permanent green card, etc. And unfortunate about the loss of emails, both
personally and practically. But, from this point on, you should absolutely document
everything. Most likely, you will never need most of it, but . . .

1) buy a regular camera and take photos frequently
2) keep copies of all plane tickets, etc. Visit him in england, get photos with
family, and get him to come here, same thing
3) phone british partner on regular phonebill--and keep them; rates are cheap if you
pay for a $5 or so a month plan
4) save all emails to disk the day they arrive; back them up.
5) You met online? a chatroom? if so, get email letters from others in the group
verifying how long you, he, were active there.

Basically, be very methodical about archiving this relationship; i'm sure everything
is legitimate, and relatively sure that you will never need most of this stuff, but i
wish i had had this advice when i started the process; it would have been easier.
and, even if you never use the material for the INS, you might as well keep copies
for the grandchildren . . . .

Marcus

Kari <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello all, I've never posted here, so please excuse any questions that may seem
    > obvious! I've been lurking around for a couple of weeks. I come seeking advice and
    > some encouragement at this point in our immigration "process". Hope someone here
    > can point my "intended" and I in the right direction.
    > I am a US citizen, and he is English and we met on the net about a year and a half
    > ago. I am going through a divorce which should be final in several weeks. He is
    > just beginning the process, so obviously that will take some time. We both
    > understand that to even initiate the K-1 visa petition we'll both need to have
    > divorce decrees in hand, but we are "planners" and want some idea of what we're up
    > against right from the start.
    > As I said, we met on the internet and have about a 17 month history, first as two
    > couples who were friends. Things then became clear fairly soon that Tony and I
    > weren't happy in our current marriages and we formed a bond that was almost
    > instantaneous.
    > The problem is this. In researching what is required to file the K-1 Visa, we know
    > that we're going to have to submit some sort of "evidence of a relationship"
    > ---he's been to visit me here last Christmas with his family and there are pictures
    > of all of us together (and a couple of just the two of us), and he made a trip
    > alone here this past July and there are photos of us together by ourselves. These
    > photos are not actual prints, but files downloaded onto my computer and his by way
    > of his digital camera. Question number one is do they require actual "prints" to
    > be submitted or can you send copies that are run off on your printer from your
    > computer? Obviously we want to do this the correct way right from the start to
    > avoid problems.
    > The second question involves our typical method of interaction, which has been by
    > email or by telephone using a calling card that takes the expense of international
    > calls down quite a bit. Because we've used these cards, we have some, very little
    > phone bill documentation. The phone number that you're contacting does not show up
    > on the monthly phone statement using a prepaid card. Any way to get around this
    > part that doesn't involve selling everything we own to raise money to use the
    > regular long distance company?
    > We had a problem this week also with the email accounts. (The technology gods seem
    > to hate us lately). Between two accounts we had close to a thousand emails which
    > very nicely chronicled the evolution of our relationship from a simple friendship
    > to something more. It was in that space that we were able to share things that no
    > one else could see. Last week I noticed that most of the emails from the earlier
    > days seemed to be gone and alerted Tony of this, who in turn saved the remainder of
    > them (about half) in a new folder, intending to burn them onto a cd. The same thing
    > started happening to the second account and before we knew it, only about half of
    > what was originally there was left to save. He contacted NTLWorld who of course,
    > told him that there was nothing they could do and they were sorry.
    > If that wasn't bad enough, in the process of moving all of his things to his new
    > house, somehow both the folders that the remaining emails were stored in got dumped
    > in the recycle bin before the Cds were burned. We literally have lost 17 months of
    > email contact and have *nothing* to show for it now. We're both panicking about
    > that for several reasons; the first being that although we know we have some time
    > to work up another email archive, the first 17 months is completely gone and figure
    > that that doesn't look good for showing evidence. The second reason is that we've
    > lost that written history of us that is so important to us personally. I guess
    > after that rambling explanation, I'm wondering just how much detail they usually
    > ask for, and how long they want the relationship to be before they consider it
    > "valid"? Never having done this before, any details of your experiences would be
    > so helpful to both of us.
    > Looks to me that there are some really helpful and caring people here, and we're
    > hoping that someone can point us in the right direction with these questions, and
    > maybe the process won't look so scary and daunting. Thanks in advance for your
    > tolerance to my long-windedness! Kari (and Tony, AKA Polecat)

Old Sep 8th 2002, 2:13 pm

> Kari <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > The problem is this. In researching what is required to file the K-1 Visa, we
    > > know that we're going to have to submit some sort of "evidence of a relationship"
    > > ---he's been to visit me here last Christmas with his family and there are
    > > pictures of all of us together (and a couple of just the two of us), and he made
    > > a trip alone here this past July and there are photos of us together by
    > > ourselves. These photos are not actual prints, but files downloaded onto my
    > > computer and his by way of his digital camera. Question number one is do they
    > > require actual "prints" to be submitted or can you send copies that are run off
    > > on your printer from your computer?

We submitted computer-scanned and printed copies of 4 photos. None of them showed us
together, they were 2 pairs of shots taken by each of us of the other. The
background/footprints in show/clouds etc showed that they were taken in the same
place at roughly the same time. It sounds like you have more than we did. We were
approved, no problem. They did not ask for more photos at the K1 interview. They
did not ask to see the originals. (In fact they asked for nothing in addition to that
which we had submitted with the I129F petition, except the required forms and I-134
affidavit of support, so I had to carry piles of paper back home with me....).

> > phone number that you're contacting does not show up on the monthly phone
    > > statement using a prepaid card. Any way to get around this part that doesn't
    > > involve selling everything we own to raise money to use the regular long distance
    > > company?

He could look at signing up with Onetel
(www.onetel.co.uk) and get calls UK to US at 3p
per minute. They give you paper or online bill. We took some photocopies of some
phone bills (both directions), highlighted calls between us, and I took them to the
London K1 interview. They were not asked for.

> > We had a problem this week also with the email accounts. (The technology gods
    > > seem to hate us lately). Between two accounts we had close to a thousand emails
    > > which very nicely chronicled the evolution of our relationship from a simple
    > > friendship to something more. It was in that

We had thousands of emails too. I printed a few, took them to the London interview.
Again, they were not asked for and I just had to carry the whole stack of stuff away.

You will find, in the URLs provided by others (sorry, don't have to hand but look for
Rete's sig on some posts and you will find them), lots of interview experiences for
London and other embassies. You will find that if your application does not have red
flags all over it (past visa fraud, criminal convictions etc), then you should find
the process straightforward. Most folks are over-prepared for the interview, but
it's safer to have stuff than not. However don't be surprised if your experience of
the process turns out to be like ours, a bit of an anticlimax ('is that all', 'was
that it???') after all that worry.

Good luck.

Old Sep 8th 2002, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Kari is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by .:
    > Kari <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > The problem is this. In researching what is required to file the K-1 Visa, we
    > > know that we're going to have to submit some sort of "evidence of a relationship"
    > > ---he's been to visit me here last Christmas with his family and there are
    > > pictures of all of us together (and a couple of just the two of us), and he made
    > > a trip alone here this past July and there are photos of us together by
    > > ourselves. These photos are not actual prints, but files downloaded onto my
    > > computer and his by way of his digital camera. Question number one is do they
    > > require actual "prints" to be submitted or can you send copies that are run off
    > > on your printer from your computer?

We submitted computer-scanned and printed copies of 4 photos. None of them showed us
together, they were 2 pairs of shots taken by each of us of the other. The
background/footprints in show/clouds etc showed that they were taken in the same
place at roughly the same time. It sounds like you have more than we did. We were
approved, no problem. They did not ask for more photos at the K1 interview. They
did not ask to see the originals. (In fact they asked for nothing in addition to that
which we had submitted with the I129F petition, except the required forms and I-134
affidavit of support, so I had to carry piles of paper back home with me....).

> > phone number that you're contacting does not show up on the monthly phone
    > > statement using a prepaid card. Any way to get around this part that doesn't
    > > involve selling everything we own to raise money to use the regular long distance
    > > company?

He could look at signing up with Onetel
(www.onetel.co.uk) and get calls UK to US at 3p
per minute. They give you paper or online bill. We took some photocopies of some
phone bills (both directions), highlighted calls between us, and I took them to the
London K1 interview. They were not asked for.

> > We had a problem this week also with the email accounts. (The technology gods
    > > seem to hate us lately). Between two accounts we had close to a thousand emails
    > > which very nicely chronicled the evolution of our relationship from a simple
    > > friendship to something more. It was in that

We had thousands of emails too. I printed a few, took them to the London interview.
Again, they were not asked for and I just had to carry the whole stack of stuff away.

You will find, in the URLs provided by others (sorry, don't have to hand but look for
Rete's sig on some posts and you will find them), lots of interview experiences for
London and other embassies. You will find that if your application does not have red
flags all over it (past visa fraud, criminal convictions etc), then you should find
the process straightforward. Most folks are over-prepared for the interview, but
it's safer to have stuff than not. However don't be surprised if your experience of
the process turns out to be like ours, a bit of an anticlimax ('is that all', 'was
that it???') after all that worry.

Good luck.

Thanks so much to all of you that replied to our questions---you don't know how great it is to know that someone has been through this and survived it relatively intact! (Well, yes, maybe you *do*!)

We appreciated the suggestions and obviously take comfort in the fact that we may have been attaching too much importance to the lost emails, etc. Just new-to-the-INS-process panic, I guess!

Thanks again for welcoming Tony and I to your group. We do so appreciate it.
Kari