Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New passport for new family member...

New passport for new family member...

Old Jul 15th 2018, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New passport for new family member...

Originally Posted by Cook_County
As a male US citizen he'll have to register for Selective Service when he turns 18. Unlike the United States, the UK does not currently have a military draft. If it did in 18 years time, he'd be easier for the UK to find.
Thanks, understood, as per all US born citizens I suppose. From what I read it’s never been called up in the last few decades.
if it comes to that, at 18, I believ he could chose his citizenship from US or U.K. as is best at the time. At this rate who knows what will be best, but at least he’ll have options, which is all I want for him at this stage
Old Jul 15th 2018, 7:12 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB
Thanks, understood, as per all US born citizens I suppose. From what I read it’s never been called up in the last few decades.
if it comes to that, at 18, I believ he could chose his citizenship from US or U.K. as is best at the time. At this rate who knows what will be best, but at least he’ll have options, which is all I want for him at this stage
He has both now and will continue to do so for life unless he explicitly renounces one which is an expensive and bureaucratic process. Obtaining a British passport now will make it easier to obtain one in the future. Not doing so in order to somehow make it easier to avoid the non-existent chance that the UK will reintroduce compulsory military service in the future is simply not credible.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
He has both now and will continue to do so for life unless he explicitly renounces one which is an expensive and bureaucratic process. Obtaining a British passport now will make it easier to obtain one in the future. Not doing so in order to somehow make it easier to avoid the non-existent chance that the UK will reintroduce compulsory military service in the future is simply not credible.
thanks. So just to check he doesn’t need the U.K. consular registration or the US passport to get the British one and we can apply while overseas via the internet it appears from the links given, is that right?

go a couple of copies of his birth certificate coming now. Will apply for US passport as soon as we can get an appointment organised, so US passport first so he can travel and then the U.K. parts afterwards.

his vaccinations are in 1 month so hope to be awaiting the US passport while that is done and we’ll fly a month or two afterwards.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 8:12 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB

thanks. So just to check he doesn’t need the U.K. consular registration or the US passport to get the British one and we can apply while overseas via the internet it appears from the links given, is that right?

Correct.

go a couple of copies of his birth certificate coming now. Will apply for US passport as soon as we can get an appointment organised, so US passport first so he can travel and then the U.K. parts afterwards.

his vaccinations are in 1 month so hope to be awaiting the US passport while that is done and we’ll fly a month or two afterwards.
If you have two copies of his birth certificate then you can apply for both passports concurrently. Just bear in mind that you'll need the 'long form' birth certificate for his British passport application.