Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Passport but visa in old one

New Passport but visa in old one

Old Mar 17th 2007, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy New Passport but visa in old one

I have just got a new British Passport from the Washington Consulate because my old one was full of stamps but had not expired (I travel too much I know), they (the consulate) have returned my old passport but cut the corners off the front and pack covers. My US L1 visa is in the old passport and is valid for another 2 1/2 years. Do I now have to carry both passports when I travel?
There is no mention in my new passport to my old passport number (maybe its in that chip they now have in the back page). Many years ago I had the same thing happen with 2 passports and they some how officially tied the 2 together with a ribbon and an official seal holding the 2 passports together, this time nothing.
Any advise appreciated
Old Mar 17th 2007, 4:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Passport but visa in old one

Originally Posted by Vimto
I. Do I now have to carry both passports when I travel?
Yes !!
Old Mar 17th 2007, 4:37 pm
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vimto
I have just got a new British Passport from the Washington Consulate because my old one was full of stamps but had not expired (I travel too much I know), they (the consulate) have returned my old passport but cut the corners off the front and pack covers. My US L1 visa is in the old passport and is valid for another 2 1/2 years. Do I now have to carry both passports when I travel?
There is no mention in my new passport to my old passport number (maybe its in that chip they now have in the back page). Many years ago I had the same thing happen with 2 passports and they some how officially tied the 2 together with a ribbon and an official seal holding the 2 passports together, this time nothing.
Any advise appreciated
You can present your old passport with valid visa along with your new passport. I did this with my B1/B2 before. If you don't want the hassle you can advise the US embassy or USCIS that you've lost your visa ( i.e. lost your old passort ) and apply for a replacement.

I went out and bought a passport holder that held 2 passports and never forgot to take both with me.

It's a good idea to have photocopies of both Bio page and visa anyway and if you loose your passport or it gets stolen you can get another much easier.

Rich./
Old Mar 17th 2007, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Just staple the two together for god's sakes. That's what most people do.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 8:41 pm
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Just staple the two together for god's sakes. That's what most people do.

or simply use a black marker to write "US VISA" on any page of your new passport......you could also make your very own US Embassy out of some sticky back plastic, toilet roll tubes and an old washing-up bottle !
Old Mar 19th 2007, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: New Passport but visa in old one

you deserve a Blue Peter badge for that suggestion

http://www.show.me.uk/dbimages/chunk...06_1189_lg.JPG