British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   This new NBC soccer channel then (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/new-nbc-soccer-channel-then-806430/)

Southy_SWFC Aug 18th 2013 10:53 pm

This new NBC soccer channel then

I assume they spent all their money on getting the rights and so they're stuck with Efan Ekoku, Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe.

Overall it wasn't too bad and is a step in the right direction with coverage.

I didn't noticed if there was a Match Of The Day style show but if there is I'll keep an eye out for it

lansbury Aug 18th 2013 11:00 pm

Re: This new NBC soccer channel then

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC (Post 10857293)
I assume they spent all their money on getting the rights and so they're stuck with Efan Ekoku, Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe.

Overall it wasn't too bad and is a step in the right direction with coverage.

I didn't noticed if there was a Match Of The Day style show but if there is I'll keep an eye out for it

I saw something in the guide last night for NBC Sport Channel (220 on DirecTV) which said Match of the Day. It was 2 hours long. Didn't get to watch it as we went to a neighbors beating cancer party last night.

Southy_SWFC Aug 19th 2013 12:23 am

Oooh cool. I'll keep an eye out for it next weekend.

Thanks

Duncan Roberts Aug 19th 2013 12:36 am

Match of the Day was at 11:00. I got all excited when it started and Gary Lineker started introducing it and explaining the history of the show. Only to have that excitement dashed when he said "And for the first time in the US a Match of the Day style show" and then it cut to the woman who had been on TV all day plus Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe.

It was basically the same format but was somewhat lacking overall. Still better than Fox though. I don't know if it's DirecTV only or all providers but it was listed with the title "English Premier League Soccer" and had the description Match of the Day which is really annoying when every game has the same title so when you set the DVR thinking you are getting MOTD you actually end up with every game as well.

OhioLiz Aug 19th 2013 12:37 am

They've got a Sat night 11pm-1am Eastern time MOTD and a Sunday 11-12pm MOTD2 and they air the PL preview/review/world shows that Fox Soccer aired.

This blogger has been covering how and when to watch the matches and shows as access varies by provider (we've got Time Warner and don't get the extra channels or app).

worldsoccertalk.com/2013/08/16/schedule-of-nbcs-47-hours-of-premier-league-programming-in-gameweek-1/

kimilseung Aug 19th 2013 2:19 am

They got Arlo White, he is a good commentator.

OhioLiz Aug 19th 2013 2:54 am

Sorry-Sunday show is 11pm -12 (typo above). The main presenter is Rebecca Lowe-she was on BBC a bit. Her father is retired bbc presenter Chris Lowe and she just got married to Paul Buckle.

cluedweasel Aug 19th 2013 4:10 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10857453)
They got Arlo White, he is a good commentator.

And no Gus Johnson. That's a blessing all of it's own.

cluedweasel Aug 19th 2013 4:13 am

It was nice to pick the game of my choice on Saturday through the web site. As it happened I am that long suffering species, an Arsenal fan, so the match I wanted as on the box anyway.

Pegster Aug 19th 2013 5:51 am

We subscribe to Directv, and my husband was delighted to find ALL the Premiership games being shown live this weekend. Games were shown on NBC, NBC Sports Network and on four channels named EPL 1-4.

Just did a little research, and found this article (among others):

Premier League Coverage in American Should Suddenly Make Fans in the UK Very Jealous

Hope this helps - I know the hubby is very happy!

Edited to add: Oh and the commentators were all british - it seems the feed is directly from Sky.

Southy_SWFC Aug 19th 2013 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 10857382)
Match of the Day was at 11:00. I got all excited when it started and Gary Lineker started introducing it and explaining the history of the show. Only to have that excitement dashed when he said "And for the first time in the US a Match of the Day style show" and then it cut to the woman who had been on TV all day plus Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe.

It was basically the same format but was somewhat lacking overall. Still better than Fox though. I don't know if it's DirecTV only or all providers but it was listed with the title "English Premier League Soccer" and had the description Match of the Day which is really annoying when every game has the same title so when you set the DVR thinking you are getting MOTD you actually end up with every game as well.

I found that annoying too. I set up a series link thinking it'd just do MOTD but instead i've got every game set to record.

scrubbedexpat097 Aug 19th 2013 12:22 pm

So far we are happy with the coverage, better than I expected for an NBC affiliated channel and lots better than FSC over the last few years.

But, I will say having any coverage is great, because we spent a lot of years here before this happened and it was frustrating to keep up with all that was going on.

Saturday and Sunday early mornings in front of the box are back on again:thumbsup:

Sheepdip Aug 19th 2013 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 10857382)
.....then it cut to the woman who had been on TV all day plus Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe.

Wasn't she from Sky Sports?

As said before, good to have Arlo White commentating. There also seems to be one game a Saturday on regular NBC which can't be a bad thing.

TimberHut Aug 19th 2013 12:57 pm

I think the NBC coverage is superb. How can you get better than every game live on TV. In HD. At no extra cost.

I saw the first of many Saints' wins this season. Live. Not on delay. Was bliss.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/08/1...ellite-system/

Bob Aug 19th 2013 1:03 pm

Any one have any luck with the app?

Android, kept crashing every few seconds and was shit and iPad wouldn't go full screen and had a advert permanently along the bottom...