Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New to this! Move to San Francisco, advice wanted please.

New to this! Move to San Francisco, advice wanted please.

Old Nov 24th 2017, 5:07 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to this!

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
As a long ago resident of the City, I would suggest a title relating to "SF Bay Area."

(It was so long ago I bought my first house in the City for under $50K. The younger generation doesn't believe me. )
I could see that. I'm sure the dollar was worth more then and there was a smaller population competing for space.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 5:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarg75
Ah ok. Thank you. We will check if we decide to sell.
Be aware that US tax rules can also create a substantial capital gain on the repayment of the mortgage in addition to the gain on the home. This typically happens when your mortgage was taken out when the GBP/USD exchange rate was higher than when you sell, in other words it catches almost everyone (who has emmigrated from the UK to the US, and still owns a home there) at the moment.

Also, capital gains are calculated based on when you bought your home and took out your mortgage, not when you arrived in the US.

And, capital gains tax allowances on your home end 36 months after you moved out (assuming you had owned it for the previous two years, in other words you have to have lived in your home for two of the most recent five years when you sell it).
Old Nov 24th 2017, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I respect your opinion, we have decided to do this move. I'm asking for area recommendations. According to Zillow rent, there are
3 bed houses in Sunnyvale and Mountain View for around $4000 a month but we know nothing about these areas or the schools. We have spent a long time researching the school system and as I am a teacher, we certainly haven't gone into this blind. We are realistic and would not expect to be able to live somewhere with no neighbours in order for my son to drum. We have a sound-proofed room here in the UK and would do the same in the USA. We expect this would be harder to do in an apartment.
I'm not interested in a reply saying 'no way would I do that' as it isn't helpful. If you could tell me why you didn't want your daughter going to MV high school, that would be far more constructive.
Thank you anyway.
Have you factored in commute times? Sunnyvale would be good if you were working in San Jose. Commuting from Sunnyvale to San Francisco everyday would be hell on the 101.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Sarg75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BenK91
Have you factored in commute times? Sunnyvale would be good if you were working in San Jose. Commuting from Sunnyvale to San Francisco everyday would be hell on the 101.
My husband's office is in Mountain View. He would prefer a commute time of less than an hour.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

My husband's office is in Mountain View. He would prefer a commute time of less than an hour.
I worked in West Maude Street Sunnyvale and lived at Lakeside Drive Sunnyvale just a few miles from Mountain View. Commute of 20 minutes

Unless you definitely want to live in San Francisco and its suburbs have you considered living closer to Mountain View ie. Mountain view itself, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Los Gatos, Palo Alto, Saratoga. All well within an hour for commuting.

I enjoyed my stay in Sunnyvale - a combination of upscale business parks and residential communities. Los Gatos is lovely, as is Palo Alto. No-where in this area is cheap for accommodation.

Palo Alto has great schools I have heard.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Nov 24th 2017 at 5:32 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 5:56 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I respect your opinion, we have decided to do this move. I'm asking for area recommendations. According to Zillow rent, there are
3 bed houses in Sunnyvale and Mountain View for around $4000 a month but we know nothing about these areas or the schools. We have spent a long time researching the school system and as I am a teacher, we certainly haven't gone into this blind. We are realistic and would not expect to be able to live somewhere with no neighbours in order for my son to drum. We have a sound-proofed room here in the UK and would do the same in the USA. We expect this would be harder to do in an apartment.
I'm not interested in a reply saying 'no way would I do that' as it isn't helpful. If you could tell me why you didn't want your daughter going to MV high school, that would be far more constructive.
Thank you anyway.
I know you don't want to hear it but since I did move a child at this age - it is possible but you are taking a big risk with their university/college applications. Just by refusing to take heed of what N1cky said demonstrates how little you know. I'd suggest you go and find out more about that end of things...

Also Zillow/Trulia/Redfin are a bit of a joke, designed to feed you into realtor's grasp or to keep you looking at the website and being fed adverts.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I know you don't want to hear it but since I did move a child at this age - it is possible but you are taking a big risk with their university/college applications. Just by refusing to take heed of what N1cky said demonstrates how little you know. I'd suggest you go and find out more about that end of things...

Also Zillow/Trulia/Redfin are a bit of a joke, designed to feed you into realtor's grasp or to keep you looking at the website and being fed adverts.
I'm not refusing to take heed from what was said. It's just that reasons are more constructive. Why do you think it's such a risk?
The whole reason for this thread is to learn more about the area and the schools. I will then investigate individual schools and weigh up the pros and cons. Fyi, we are considering a public school but know that he will get no formal qualifications or equivalent to UK GCSE unless he opts to take the SATs. We are also considering SF International School where he can do the international baccalaureate. I may not know everything about schools at this point, that is why I am asking for advice on this forum (the clue is in the title). Your comment on my knowledge is rude and unhelpful.

Last edited by Sarg75; Nov 24th 2017 at 6:08 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 6:11 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not refusing to take heed from what was said. It's just that reasons are more constructive. Why do you think it's such a risk?
The whole reason for this thread is learn more about the area and the schools. I will then investigate individual schools. Fyi, we are considering a public school but know that he will get no formal qualifications or equivalent to GCSE unless he opts to take the SATs. We are also considering SF International School where he can do the international baccalaureate. I may not know everything about schools at this point, that is why I am asking for advice. Your comment on my knowledge is once again unhelpful.
Re public schools, not sure if it had been mentioned yet or if you are already aware of this, but the school that a child attends is governed by the street address. Not surprisingly, the best schools are found in the most expensive districts. Therefore, find a school you like, and then work backwards to ensure you only look at properties in that specific district.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 6:20 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Re public schools, not sure if it had been mentioned yet or if you are already aware of this, but the school that a child attends is governed by the street address. Not surprisingly, the best schools are found in the most expensive districts. Therefore, find a school you like, and then work backwards to ensure you only look at properties in that specific district.
This exactly. Also bear in mind that most American parents would not consider moving their high school child at all.

Your first decision needs to be where your son will go to university and the other decisions flow from that point.

If you want him to go to Uni in the UK then IB may well be an easier option for him ( why? find out)
IB Diploma is available in public high schools - but you need to make sure it's a really good school and then you have to live within the boundaries.

US university - IB or AP? What about GPA ? How will the school handle previous studies...
and so on.

USNEws has a high school ranking which is a good place to start. IB org has a list of schools that offer the IB diploma.

If experienced members of the forum think your housing budget is too low, then I'd listen to them.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

This exactly. Also bear in mind that most American parents would not consider moving their high school child at all.

Your first decision needs to be where your son will go to university and the other decisions flow from that point.

If you want him to go to Uni in the UK then IB may well be an easier option for him ( why? find out)
IB Diploma is available in public high schools - but you need to make sure it's a really good school and then you have to live within the boundaries.

US university - IB or AP? What about GPA ? How will the school handle previous studies...
and so on.

USNEws has a high school ranking which is a good place to start. IB org has a list of schools that offer the IB diploma.

If experienced members of the forum think your housing budget is too low, then I'd listen to them.
Thank you. This is really useful.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 11:27 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you anyway.
Hi,

I’m not normally one to post Don’t do this, or be flippant, and I apologize if that’s how you read it. I’m currently on vacation in England and replying on my iPad. I’ll reply in more detail next week if you like, no offense to you, but it can become tiresome typing out long replies that the op never replies or reads. We’ve lived in MV for Over 7 years, and some people on here know the problems we’ve had (you can also check my history). But in all honsestly the houses you are seeing for 3500 are not somewhere your son can play the drums. Schools are just different here, and the PC of it is really tiresome, looking in with fresh eyes I know you don’t want to see this, but it is nothing like you expect. Being back in the uk this week makes me realize just how much this is the case.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Fyi, we are considering a public school but know that he will get no formal qualifications or equivalent to UK GCSE unless he opts to take the SATs. We are also considering SF International School where he can do the international baccalaureate.
APs are formal qualifications that are somewhere IMO just below A level. When you're looking at schools check whether they are offered and the typical number taken by students. I believe UK universities consider them during admissions. It is possible to get into UK universities with a US high school education but I'd think it would be difficult with a regular high school diploma and no APs or IB.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 12:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

This exactly. Also bear in mind that most American parents would not consider moving their high school child at all. ....
Who on earth gave you that idea?
Old Nov 25th 2017, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to this! Move to San Francisco, advice wanted please.

I wouldn't consider selling the UK house until you have a GC (note: get this in the contract).

Just recently a member of the forum found out their company is going through changes and they may need to leave the US... Only months after moving here!

Unfortunately, as people have pointed out, it will likely cause tax issues.

I do think you're in a low ballpark for rental prices. Does the company have a relocation person who can assist in this? Maybe a free trip over to scout an area?
Old Nov 25th 2017, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

How far away from Mountain View you can reasonably live will depend to some extent how flexible your husband's office hours are. Traffic in the South Bay is bad and it is getting worse. If you have to travel during peak commute hours then an hour won't get you very far - not all of the journey will be bad but you will find yourself getting very frustrated when the last 2 miles takes 20 minutes.

I have worked in Mountain View for the last 10 years or so and my commute from Santa Cruz is 41 miles. If I leave home at 10am I will typically have a commute time of 50 to 55 minutes and can normally expect to get to work by 11am. Going home at night is a different story - any time from 3pm to 7pm is going to be bad - the best commute time that I can hope for is about 75 to 80 minutes with 90 minutes being more typical - the worst can easily be over 2 hours.

Last edited by md95065; Nov 25th 2017 at 6:21 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.