British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   New to Miami - Looking for Football Team. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/new-miami-looking-football-team-313577/)

Fruit & Veg Jul 12th 2005 10:03 pm

New to Miami - Looking for Football Team.

Hi,

I'm Ben, originally from Worthing , West Sussex (down the road from Brighton) - I've just moved to Miami Beach after spending 2 years in Detroit.

Just found this forum, so firstly, hello to everyone.

Secondly, I'm looking to join a football (soccer) team mainly because I want to keep playing and keep fit, but also to meet other people as I don't know many people down here. I'd like to play a half decent standard, but I'm no spring chicken anymore (30) plus in this heat I think my lungs would collapse after 10 mins! I'm around 76th street on the beach, so anywhere around 20/30 minute drive away would be good.

Also, any info on this area would be good. Where do you all go to watch the England games? What about the Ashes? Where can I go to get decent chocolate and satisfy my pastry and clotted cream urges?!!

Cheers boys and girls.

Ben.

anotherlimey Jul 12th 2005 10:08 pm

Re: New to Miami - Looking for Football Team.

Originally Posted by Fruit & Veg
Hi,

I'm Ben, originally from Worthing , West Sussex (down the road from Brighton) - I've just moved to Miami Beach after spending 2 years in Detroit.

Secondly, I'm looking to join a football (soccer) team mainly because I want to keep playing and keep fit, but also to meet other people as I don't know many people down here. I'd like to play a half decent standard, but I'm no spring chicken anymore (30) plus in this heat I think my lungs would collapse after 10 mins! I'm around 76th street on the beach, so anywhere around 20/30 minute drive away would be good.

Also, any info on this area would be good. Where do you all go to watch the England games? What about the Ashes? Where can I go to get decent chocolate and satisfy my pastry and clotted cream urges?!!

Cheers boys and girls.

Ben.

Welcome, welcome....

Can't help you on the footie team, but there's an Irish bar in Miami Beach that shows European football, you might be able to find it from Setanta's website.

If not ImHere lives north of you, he might be able to help out.

anotherlimey Jul 12th 2005 10:12 pm

Here's more info from Setanta:

http://linux967.dn.net/setanta/jsp/N...&zipCode=33139

Bar/Venue Playwright Irish Pub (Southbeach)

Address 1265 Washington Ave. City Miami Beach, FL 33139 Phone 305-534-0667 Distance 0.0 miles (approx.)
Bar/Venue Churchill's (Miami)

Address 5501 North East 2nd Avenue City Miami, FL 33137 Phone 305-757-1807 Distance 3.24 miles (approx.)
Bar/Venue Waxy O'Conners

Address 1095 South East 17th St City Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316 Phone 954-525-9299 Distance 22.14 miles (approx.)

Ray Jul 12th 2005 10:37 pm

Hi,

Welcome Ben ... Newbie Karma sent to you ...

NC Penguin Jul 13th 2005 12:29 am

Hi,

Cheers boys and girls.

Ben.

I'm betting that if there's any amateur soccer clubs, they'll be mainly Latino. How's your Spanish? :)

NC Penguin

Eskimo Jul 13th 2005 1:01 am

Hi,

Cheers boys and girls.

Ben.

Welcome ! cant help with the questions but Karma sent for the best avatar I've seen in a long time :D

Bob Jul 13th 2005 2:21 am

Welcome to the site :)

Can't help with the footie...or the ashes...though you might be able to find the odd torrent to download...and choc...well there's plenty of decent sites online...can't remember off off hand, but there's a few threads on them around :)

Fruit & Veg Jul 13th 2005 2:31 pm

Thanks for the welcome and karma guys.

Mio Espagnol is mucho bad, but my girlfriend and her family are Latino so I'm learning.....very, very slowly! As long as I can learn "On the 'ead son!" and "Square ball Juan" in Spanish I'll be fine :)

I was looking for teams here and stumbled on this site - http://www.footvolley.net - which looks great. I emailed them and someone got back in touch and said they'd give me a ring when they're playing next. We used to get kicked off the tennis courts at school for playing that!

All hail Big Ron.

Dufus Jul 13th 2005 9:25 pm

Hi,

Cheers boys and girls.

Ben.

Hi Ben,

i live in Coral Gables, so close to you.

Football either watched at The Playwright - on Washington Avenue or Churchills http://www.churchillspub.com/ in little Haiti

Can't help with chocolate or pastry and clotted cream urges. Will ask around for soccer teams.

Enjoy

Dufus

clydegirl Jul 13th 2005 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dufus
Hi Ben,

i live in Coral Gables, so close to you.

Football either watched at The Playwright - on Washington Avenue or Churchills http://www.churchillspub.com/ in little Haiti

Can't help with chocolate or pastry and clotted cream urges. Will ask around for soccer teams.

Enjoy

Dufus

Try World Market for the chocolate and clotted cream.

Fruit & Veg Jul 13th 2005 9:28 pm

Dufus - nice one thanks. My girlfriend lives in Coconut Grove.

anotherlimey Jul 13th 2005 9:43 pm

Dufus - nice one thanks. My girlfriend lives in Coconut Grove.

There's a little British shop in one of the suburbs of Miami, I can't think of the name though :o

It's something along the lines of 'The Little British Tea Shop', or 'The Little English Corner Shop'. They do have a website.

anotherlimey Jul 18th 2005 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
There's a little British shop in one of the suburbs of Miami, I can't think of the name though :o

It's something along the lines of 'The Little British Tea Shop', or 'The Little English Corner Shop'. They do have a website.

I got the name completely wrong. It's called 'Hubbard's Cupboard', they had a website at http://www.hubbards-cupboard.com/ but it doesn't seem to be up right now.

Dufus Jul 19th 2005 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I got the name completely wrong. It's called 'Hubbard's Cupboard', they had a website at http://www.hubbards-cupboard.com/ but it doesn't seem to be up right now.

They have closed down. This was quite recent i think.

Churchills pub is now selling some English food.

Ah well...