British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   New Members... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/new-members-764556/)

Cheeseheads Jul 10th 2012 7:20 pm

New Members...

Hello,

New members who are both glad to be here. Currently still residing in the UK but going through the process of a US visa for the male half, the female being a US citizen already.

Everything is going okay so far, just slowly of course and full of paperwork....but it is going as it should.

We do have a question though if we can....

We aren't looking to take any electrical items or any furniture with us as we already have a place in the US that we own.
So just boxes of personal stuff like CD,s/DVD,s, tools, books, hobby stuff.....to be honest the lot would probably fit into the back of a Transit van.

No idea of total weight but I can't imagine more than 1,000kg....and probably much less.

The problem is we haven't been able to get a quote for moving as the people we asked wanted to know the volume required and until we've packed it up we just don't know.

So, any ball park figures for the kind of amounts we are looking to move from Staffordshire to Wisconsin would be appreciated?

Or if we clearly need to know more information then that as well.

Thanks.

GeoffM Jul 10th 2012 7:36 pm

Re: New Members...

We had quotes for 125 cu ft (a 5'x5'x5' cube if you like, maybe your Transit example) to move to California. They ranged from 600 quid to 1500 quid IIRC. Add a bit more for insurance and random customs fees. Wisconsin... shorter distance but more land travel required which I'm guessing would bump the price up a little. Shipping by sea is by volume, not by weight.

Scouse Express Jul 10th 2012 7:38 pm

Which part of Wisconsin are you moving to?

Jim.

Bink Jul 10th 2012 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Cheeseheads (Post 10165113)
Hello,

New members who are both glad to be here. Currently still residing in the UK but going through the process of a US visa for the male half, the female being a US citizen already.

Everything is going okay so far, just slowly of course and full of paperwork....but it is going as it should.

We do have a question though if we can....

We aren't looking to take any electrical items or any furniture with us as we already have a place in the US that we own.
So just boxes of personal stuff like CD,s/DVD,s, tools, books, hobby stuff.....to be honest the lot would probably fit into the back of a Transit van.

No idea of total weight but I can't imagine more than 1,000kg....and probably much less.

The problem is we haven't been able to get a quote for moving as the people we asked wanted to know the volume required and until we've packed it up we just don't know.

So, any ball park figures for the kind of amounts we are looking to move from Staffordshire to Wisconsin would be appreciated?

Or if we clearly need to know more information then that as well.

Thanks.

I shipped 40 cuft, which included things like you've mentioned; clothes, books, CD's/DVD's, iMac, music recording equipment (mixer, guitars etc). In total it was 13 boxes I think and was about 900 quid (all in including insurance etc in Jan 2010) from Berkshire, UK to Houston, TX.

EDIT: I just pulled up my quote and it was 495 quid for the shipping with insurance on top. My insurance was quite high as I had several valuable items that I itemized and had to pay additional cover for.

kimilseung Jul 10th 2012 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Cheeseheads (Post 10165113)
.... CD,s/DVD,s,.

I ripped my CDs and DVDs. took the drive, saved space and the content is much easier to access now.

Cheeseheads Jul 10th 2012 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express (Post 10165143)
Which part of Wisconsin are you moving to?

Jim.

LaCrosse....it's on the border with Minnesota.

Scouse Express Jul 10th 2012 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Cheeseheads (Post 10165167)
LaCrosse....it's on the border with Minnesota.

....and just up the road from me. I'm in Dubuque, Iowa. There is a "British Pub" in De Soto, WI, just South of La Crosse. I think it's called the Red Lion.

Good Luck with the move.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jim.

GeoffM Jul 10th 2012 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10165161)
I ripped my CDs and DVDs. took the drive, saved space and the content is much easier to access now.

I wondered about doing that - I only ever play music on my PC anyway, or one of the music channels on the TV. But is it actually legal - your CDs in one country, you using copies in another, assuming you have kept the CDs? Just wondering, not judging.

Bink Jul 10th 2012 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10165181)
I wondered about doing that - I only ever play music on my PC anyway, or one of the music channels on the TV. But is it actually legal - your CDs in one country, you using copies in another, assuming you have kept the CDs? Just wondering, not judging.

It's just not the same as having a big pile of CDs gathering dust and taking up space! :p:rofl::nod:
For me at least, there's a certain satisfaction about skimming my finger through a CD collection looking for something to listen to that I just can't get from going to my iTunes library.

kimilseung Jul 10th 2012 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10165181)

I am not entirely sure, ripping in the states, if the original has copy protection on it, is illegal; but you could always say that you did it on a trip to Canada :) where I understand that it is legal. My layman's understanding of the US law is that the act of ripping copy protection is illegal, not the possession of it.

I do not know the current situation in the UK, it was illegal, but there were plans to change it, I do not know if those changes have occurred, were dropped or went ahead.

Originally Posted by Bink (Post 10165191)
It's just not the same as having a big pile of CDs gathering dust and taking up space! :p:rofl::nod:
For me at least, there's a certain satisfaction about skimming my finger through a CD collection looking for something to listen to that I just can't get from going to my iTunes library.

Remember when you complained about CDs over LPs?

SultanOfSwing Jul 10th 2012 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express (Post 10165175)
....and just up the road from me. I'm in Dubuque, Iowa. There is a "British Pub" in De Soto, WI, just South of La Crosse. I think it's called the Red Lion.

Good Luck with the move.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jim.

Do you ever get up to the House On The Rock? It's about 50 miles from Dubuque as far as I remember. We went twice last year and are heading out again this year, it's well worth a visit.

Scouse Express Jul 10th 2012 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10165210)
Do you ever get up to the House On The Rock? It's about 50 miles from Dubuque as far as I remember. We went twice last year and are heading out again this year, it's well worth a visit.

Been there several times. Yes, well worth visiting if anyone is in the area.

Jim.

SultanOfSwing Jul 10th 2012 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express (Post 10165213)
Been there several times. Yes, well worth visiting if anyone is in the area.

Jim.

We're hoping to get to the Cave on the Mounds this year as well, they're supposed to be good, too.

Quite nice up that way, it's a bit more hilly than where we live so I like it!

Scouse Express Jul 10th 2012 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10165216)
We're hoping to get to the Cave on the Mounds this year as well, they're supposed to be good, too.

Quite nice up that way, it's a bit more hilly than where we live so I like it!

Stop off at the "Piggly Wiggly" Grocery Store in Dodgeville, WI. You maybe able to find some Pastys there, to take back Home with you.

Jim.

SultanOfSwing Jul 10th 2012 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express (Post 10165226)
Stop off at the "Piggly Wiggly" Grocery Store in Dodgeville, WI. You maybe able to find some Pastys there, to take back Home with you.

Jim.

Good tip, I will try to remember to do so.

Scouse Express Jul 10th 2012 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10165233)
Good tip, I will try to remember to do so.

I get mine from the "Piggly Wiggly" in Galena, IL. Dodgeville should have them as the area was settled by Cornish Miners many moons ago.

Jim.

SultanOfSwing Jul 10th 2012 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express (Post 10165239)
I get mine from the "Piggly Wiggly" in Galena, IL. Dodgeville should have them as the area was settled by Cornish Miners many moons ago.

Jim.

Nice one. Long drive home though so if the children have drained my energy I may have to give it a miss :lol:

Bink Jul 10th 2012 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10165199)
I am not entirely sure, ripping in the states, if the original has copy protection on it, is illegal; but you could always say that you did it on a trip to Canada :) where I understand that it is legal. My layman's understanding of the US law is that the act of ripping copy protection is illegal, not the possession of it.

I do not know the current situation in the UK, it was illegal, but there were plans to change it, I do not know if those changes have occurred, were dropped or went ahead.

Remember when you complained about CDs over LPs?

I think you've overestimated my age! :rofl:
I would love a room full of LPs though.