British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   New Member - Imminent Move to Houston - O1 Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/new-member-imminent-move-houston-o1-visa-889850/)

Macruss Jan 9th 2017 10:33 pm

New Member - Imminent Move to Houston - O1 Visa

Hi All, Brand new to the site/forum and first post. I'm trying to go through all the useful threads but there's so much info to take in.
First of all, I'm 47, married with two teenage daughters and spent all my life in the North East of England so this is a pretty major change...
I've had my O1 Visa petition approved and am now waiting for interview date for final approval and (hopefully) issue at the US Embassy in London with a view to starting work in mid-Feb.
There are a few things I do know:
Work will be based in La Porte
I'll be coming over by myself initially (renting apartment), to be followed by my wife and 17yo daughter in the Summer when we'll start looking for a house/bigger apartment for rent. 19yo daughter has elected to stay in UK (so we'll be supporting her with rent etc in UK)
I don't want a long commute so I'll base myself on the South East side of Houston but daughter's college location will also be a factor. I've been searching on-line in Webster/Clear Lake area where there does seem to be plenty of suitable options (at least for initial move).
One thing I will be keen on is keeping active; I currently play 5 aside twice a week and used to be a keen tennis player so I'll be looking for those activities as early as possible after arrival.
If anyone has any advice for me on general matters such as accommodation choice, vehicle choice (I'll be getting what i consider to be a generous allowance for vehicle), banking provider, notifications when I leave, things that might surprise me etc, I'd be most grateful.
Thanks in advance.

PetrifiedExPat Jan 10th 2017 2:06 am

Re: New Member - Imminent Move to Houston - O1 Visa

One question is, has your 17 yr old daughter finished secondary school? (at least by the time she comes over). I think it can be hard to attain US high school credits based on A-level or IB achievements (before they actually gain the qualification in the UK).

This is the impression I have gotten from other posters here.

In addition, does she want to go to college? I personally (and everyone is different), would want to finish all of that in the UK, before coming to the US, for financial reasons alone (and time). Others have (valid) different opinions, though.

ChocolateBabz Jan 10th 2017 2:11 am

Things that might surprise you, the cost of cell phone plans / internet / car insurance. You may be asked for deposits from utility companies, that was a bit odd.

Yes Clear Lake / League City or even Friendswood or Pearland would be OK commutes. We are in Pearland 👋🏻.

We bank with Chase, opened our accounts before we had our SSN's but that was 8 years ago. They have been fine, just a bank, no problems so far.

Buying a car takes roughly 472 hours, most aggravating experience on the planet. If you know what you want negotiate by email before you go and stress that you want to be in and out - any hidden surprises and you will walk. Car showrooms do not open on Sunday, nor does Hobby Lobby or Chik fil A, 8 years later I'm finally coming to terms with this 😀

Bomjeito Jan 10th 2017 2:15 am

Living, accommodations, suggestions for the La Porte area can be well attended on City-Data.com for Houston area. La Porte is bleak.

If your daughter needs to finish her A levels, the British International School is in Katy, and that is not possible from La Porte area.

Oh, I just read that your daughter will start college here. Umm.. has she been accepted anywhere? The state-sponsored schools are pricey until you are considered resident (I think it is one year here in Texas) and the private schools, like Rice, are already considering entries for 2018/2019 school year.

Does your company provide a relocation service to guide in all this?

Bomjeito Jan 10th 2017 2:18 am

Oh, we banked with Bank of America when we arrived, and very easy to open accounts with no social security numbers.

We then dropped them as they are terrible.

Consider buying used from another expat; car dealers loathe cash as much as they loathe reducing the price of a car.

Facebook has a few expat groups, one for example it Houston and Katy Expats. A few cars are listed on there, as well as furniture and such.

Also try Texas Direct Auto for buying a car - used cars that are in decent condition and retail used prices.

Good luck!

PetrifiedExPat Jan 10th 2017 2:26 am

Ah, I just noticed the section re: your daughter's college life here, ignore that bit above in my previous post. Sorry, I completely glossed over it.

tom169 Jan 10th 2017 2:57 am

Had no issues with Wells Fargo. Went to a branch the day I arrived and walked out with a physical debit card.

If you're not going to be working in the UK then contact HMRC and tell them. You may well be entitled to a tax return... I was and it was well worth the £££!

If you like Tennis then I would look for an apartment complex with a court. Many do have them! :)

The heat in Texas may surprise you more than you think it will.

Macruss Jan 10th 2017 12:58 pm

Many thanks for all the advice so far, will look into it all. Daughter will have finished upper 6th by the time she arrives so we're looking at Tech College/Community College courses for her to enrol in after the summer.
One major question I have is that I've heard car insurance works differently in US but have no info...we'll be looking to have vehicles for myself, wife and daughter, any advice on how insurance works and especially which vehicles insurance would work for my daughter (due to her age)?
Thanks.

tom169 Jan 10th 2017 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Macruss (Post 12147860)
Many thanks for all the advice so far, will look into it all. Daughter will have finished upper 6th by the time she arrives so we're looking at Tech College/Community College courses for her to enrol in after the summer.
One major question I have is that I've heard car insurance works differently in US but have no info...we'll be looking to have vehicles for myself, wife and daughter, any advice on how insurance works and especially which vehicles insurance would work for my daughter (due to her age)?
Thanks.

The process for getting insurance is pretty much the same as UK.

You give the insurer the make/model/VIN of car, add named drivers and choose your coverage level - like fully comprehensive or whatever you want to pay.

The minimum coverages changes from state to state - and therefore so does the premium.

I would take out the insurance yourself and then add your daughter.

Not many companies will accept UK driving as experience. Most only see Mexico or Canada experience.

I found that Liberty Mutual would take my UK experience and therefore offered a drastically cheaper price.

petitefrancaise Jan 10th 2017 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Macruss (Post 12147860)

She might be better off studying in the UK if her visa means she has to leave the country at 21 or when she finishes her course of study. I'm sure you've looked into it and know that the fees are payable in advance here and that you will be not be eligible for in-state tuition inTexas until you have been resident here for a year.

Depending on what she wants to study there are pre-requisites that will need to be met BEFORE she can start. Off the top of my head, USHistory will definitely be one, Health is another one that she may not be able to meet unless she has biology tucked away somewhere and that will need to be at a level and content accepted by the college. Application for degree type programs are also done in advance so I wouldn't wait until the summer. The pre-requisites may well add a year or at least 6 months to her course.

Macruss Jan 10th 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks petitefrancaise, we'll definitely look into this more closely.
As I was petitioning for O1 visa, we didn't want to do too much research until it was approved at the petition stage, but now things will be moving fast.
Of course, we're prepared to pay college fees for her study and we'll be looking to transfer to green card at the right point.
Do you see any major issues with this? On an initial O3 visa, working is not an option for my daughter or wife, so study is the only real option for her.

petitefrancaise Jan 10th 2017 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Macruss (Post 12148046)
Thanks petitefrancaise, we'll definitely look into this more closely.
As I was petitioning for O1 visa, we didn't want to do too much research until it was approved at the petition stage, but now things will be moving fast.
Of course, we're prepared to pay college fees for her study and we'll be looking to transfer to green card at the right point.
Do you see any major issues with this? On an initial O3 visa, working is not an option for my daughter or wife, so study is the only real option for her.

Can she transfer to green card? Others will be along (or you should check this in the immigration forum) . Unless a green card will be forthcoming, (in which case apply asap) in your shoes I would not bring my daughter to study here. Having to find work in the UK she will be much better off jobhunting with a UK/EU degree.
I've added a bit more information to the previous post too.

starting point...
http://www.hccs.edu/district/about-u...og/admissions/

petitefrancaise Jan 10th 2017 3:10 pm

Cars- no credit history means that it will be unlikely/impossible for you to just go along to a dealership to get cars.
On BE a lot of us have used International Autosource, others ex-pat ride for our cars. This should be done in advance of arriving in the USA. Otherwise, your choice of new car will be limited to VW/Audi and Mazda both of whom have ex-pat programs.

Amex card in the UK? Contact them and ask them to transfer to the USA. I'm not sure of current membership requirements to do this (I'm sure Pulaski ) will know and will be along..

Wells Fargo are everywhere in Texas and reasonably easy to set up an account with them. Are you getting relocation assistance? This should be their job along with help getting your driver's licenses and social security numbers.

I bought and always recommend AIG Inbound USA "insurance" for ex-pats arriving in the USA. it isn't really insurance but a concierge service that will find the cheapest car insurance for you, help you get credit cards, renter's insurance and you can ask them almost anything you need help with. We asked them to find a college counsellor used to helping students with an international background and they found an absolute star. It's about $450 for the year but we saved this on our first 6 months' car insurance quote (based on what I had managed to get quotes for). International autosource may well pay this for you if you ask!

Kymbo Feb 20th 2017 5:50 am

We are here in Austin on a O1/O3 visas, and are now looking to go back to the U.K. In the next month or two, having been here for 9 years. Our children fell off of our visa and 2 have now returned leaving one still in college. What I can say is that a US degree isn't as highly regarded as one from the U.K. and is also a lot more expensive here. The green card whilst fast tracked on the O1 isn't easy to come by. Our eldest was 15 when we moved here and the youngest was 12, falling off the visa at 21. We set up bank accounts at Wells Fargo and for a credit card you will be asked to put down a deposit and your limit will be for that amount initially. Liberty Mutual we find to be the best for young drivers and they should give you a discount based upon your NCD from the U.K. The insurance is different in that you choose your limits of liability. Personally, we went for the highest and took out a personal umbrella.