Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New member hello - emigrating to FL next month!

New member hello - emigrating to FL next month!

Old Feb 11th 2011, 6:01 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New member hello - emigrating to FL next month!

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Depends on the state though, some states allow it, some don't. Same with helmets, eye protection and a whole host of other M/C related differences.
I still can't believe people even consider riding without eye protection
Old Feb 11th 2011, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

I wouldn't, but then again I don't ride in T-shirts and flip flops either. But for some people all of this is a big deal.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Depends on the state though, some states allow it, some don't. Same with helmets, eye protection and a whole host of other M/C related differences.
It's only California that allows though isn't it?

If you can't lane split (legally) in Florida, I don't see the point in riding a bike for anything but pleasure on a Sunday morning, before 9am when it gets too hot!
Old Feb 11th 2011, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Depends - I can't legally split lanes/filter here either and I still prefer to ride the bike to work.

Mind you, three tourist cars in a row constitutes a traffic jam around here and pretty much everybody (especially with a a CA plate) seems to be in an ungodly hurry anyway.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

jambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Thydney
I still can't believe people even consider riding without eye protection
Its the rare biker in Florida that wears a helmet,or any safety equipment for that matter.
I'v never got a satisfactory answer as to why so many intelligent looking people riding expensive bikes would choose to not wear the proper safety gear when riding.
Its got something to do with "freedom of choice" and the rational being that if i have freedom of choice i'll choose not to wear a helmet,the logic escapes me but thats the way it is in most of America.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 9:37 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jambo101
Its the rare biker in Florida that wears a helmet,or any safety equipment for that matter.
I'v never got a satisfactory answer as to why so many intelligent looking people riding expensive bikes would choose to not wear the proper safety gear when riding.
Its got something to do with "freedom of choice" and the rational being that if i have freedom of choice i'll choose not to wear a helmet,the logic escapes me but thats the way it is in most of America.
I know about safety equipment usage my comment was about glasses the size of the bugs in Florida lol
Old Mar 4th 2011, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

k2col is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry for not coming back to acknowledge them sooner, It's been pretty crazy getting ready for the move, but I'm here now.

I'm definitely not going to be riding without protection, I once rode my bike 100m on private land without a helmet (on a track day, to get fuel) and I tell you that felt pretty weird! ;-)

I saw a guy on a Gixxer yesterday riding on the highway in normal shoes and thought that was pretty crazy. If I do get a bike license over here I'm going to be shipping out my leathers, boots, helmet, gloves, etc.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jambo101
No - it's got to do with boiling your knackers off. No excuse, but that's the main reason. Wearing a full-face helmet, gloves and boots and armour gets uncomfortably/unbearably hot in this climate. I have perforated salopette/jacket and gloves and it's still as hot as hell in the summer.
That said, the alternative being permanent vegetative state or death by skin deglovement, I choose hot as hell.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Undefeckable will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by k2col
I saw a guy on a Gixxer yesterday riding on the highway in normal shoes and thought that was pretty crazy. If I do get a bike license over here I'm going to be shipping out my leathers, boots, helmet, gloves, etc.
It's getting hotter again, so you'll start to see these muppets on 1000cc gixxers/blades/kwaks wearing shorts, flip-flops, no lid, no gloves - and more often than not, there will be a girl on the back, perched high on the pillion pad, wearing the same kind of stuff, melting her flip-flops on the hot exhaust and holding on for dear life.

I'm all for the lack of regulation and government interference here, but your own safety should be common sense! Just because the law doesn't make you do it, doesn't mean you shouldn't.

Rant over.