Reload this Page >

New job in Canonsburg

New job in Canonsburg

Old Jun 10th 2016, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Jade_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New job in Canonsburg

Hi all

I have just accepted a role in my company’s HO in Canonsburg, so I will be looking at relocating from the UK to the US in the next couple of months.

As mentioned the office is in Canonsburg, although I’ve heard there is not much around here and have been advised to look at the Mt Lebanon area for places to rent. Can anyone tell me if this is the best area? I am after somewhere that has a lot going on in ways of restaurants, shops, bars etc. I am moving by myself so would like somewhere quite sociable where I can meet plenty of people.

I was looking at apartments in the Strip District/Downtown but I have been told the commute would be a nightmare!

Any suggestions of nice areas are much appreciated

Thank you

Jade
Old Jun 10th 2016, 12:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New job in Canonsburg

Is this Canonsburg, Pennsylvania?
Old Jun 10th 2016, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Hi, yes Pennsylvania.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

boltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jade,

My wife and I have just moved to Pittsburgh with our 3 year old daughter and the good news is that we love the place. War have also just bought house in Mount Lebanon. I am not sure how old you are but Mt Leb is full of families and is very Suburban. Although the facilities are fantastic you will only find one street with a decent concentration of shops / restaurants (Washington Road).

The South Side (E Carson St) is the place for nightlife and has a hip vibe day and night. We currently rent in the Heinz Lofts on the opposite side of the Allegheny River from the Strip District. This is a great area too but is mire of a daytime venue than evenings. More and more apartments are going up there all the time.

Let me know how you get on and get in touch when you arrive if you need any help!

Dave
Old Jun 10th 2016, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

boltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, if you live south of the rivers your commute will be fine, it's the tunnels and bridges that are a nightmare!
Old Jun 10th 2016, 12:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Is this Canonsburg, Pennsylvania?
Find that many expats don't realize just how big the US is and that each state might have cities of the same name as other states. Make it a bit difficult to pinpoint where the city is located without a state attached to the city name.

Old Jun 10th 2016, 2:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Find that many expats don't realize just how big the US is and that each state might have cities of the same name as other states. Make it a bit difficult to pinpoint where the city is located without a state attached to the city name.

As in;

"What's Philadelphia like?"
"It's a one-horse town in northern New York with a gas station and a pizzeria, that's about it..."
Old Jun 10th 2016, 3:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
As in;

"What's Philadelphia like?"
"It's a one-horse town in northern New York with a gas station and a pizzeria, that's about it..."
Springfield exists in many states, as does Gloucester. NC has a Denver, which is a good bit like Philadelphia, NY, or maybe even smaller.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 3:32 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Springfield exists in many states, as does Gloucester. NC has a Denver, which is a good bit like Philadelphia, NY, or maybe even smaller.
Actually I've now remembered that Philadelphia, NY has TWO gas stations. It's quite the metropolis...
Old Jun 10th 2016, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by boltonreddave
Hi Jade,

My wife and I have just moved to Pittsburgh with our 3 year old daughter and the good news is that we love the place. War have also just bought house in Mount Lebanon. I am not sure how old you are but Mt Leb is full of families and is very Suburban. Although the facilities are fantastic you will only find one street with a decent concentration of shops / restaurants (Washington Road).

The South Side (E Carson St) is the place for nightlife and has a hip vibe day and night. We currently rent in the Heinz Lofts on the opposite side of the Allegheny River from the Strip District. This is a great area too but is mire of a daytime venue than evenings. More and more apartments are going up there all the time.

Let me know how you get on and get in touch when you arrive if you need any help!

Dave

Thank you for your response Dave. I guess I fall under the bracket as a young professional. I do not have a family and I am moving across by myself. Do you think Mt Lebanon would suit me or do you think somewhere like the South Side would be a better fit?

Jade
Old Jun 10th 2016, 7:19 pm
Banned

katzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond repute

google city stats for that town and look at the area on gmaps streetview
Old Jun 10th 2016, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Springfield exists in many states, as does Gloucester.
A few more sources of confusion ...

Washington is both a city and a state (on opposite sides of the country).

"LA" might be "Los Angeles" or it might be "Louisiana".

The city of "Frisco" does exist but it is in Texas and definitely not in Northern California.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 7:32 pm
Banned

katzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond repute

La might also be lower Alabama
Old Jun 10th 2016, 8:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
..... Washington is both a city and a state (on opposite sides of the country). .....
Not quite. Washington is the name of several cities. My in-laws live in Washington, they also live in NC. They only have one home.
Old Jun 11th 2016, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jade_
Thank you for your response Dave. I guess I fall under the bracket as a young professional. I do not have a family and I am moving across by myself. Do you think Mt Lebanon would suit me or do you think somewhere like the South Side would be a better fit?

Jade
I would go with South Side as a single without hesitation. Do you get a trip or two to check a fee placed before you move? We arranged our lease in Jan and moved in March.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.