Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Jersey house rental

New Jersey house rental

Old May 19th 2009, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all
Default New Jersey house rental

Looking to rent a 3-4 bed 2 bath house in either Chatham or Millburn under $4,000 per month. Anybody know of anything coming up? Nothing I like so far on GSMLS or Craigslist. Thanks in advance.
Old May 19th 2009, 4:07 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: New Jersey house rental

Blimey.....you're the third person this week I've heard of whom is looking to rent a house in Millburn/Short Hills (the town where I reside).

Actually I'm going out with a friend to drive around the town this afternoon who is looking for a house in Millburn, she's currently in Summit (town next door) but has to leave in August as the landlord wants to sell the house. Her budget is around the same as yours....honestly it does seem that there really aren't a lot of properties around to rent at the moment, plenty for sale though, and one realtor told me last week that there is a 'bidding war' going on in this area (not sure if I believe her tbh!) but Millburn public schools are no.1 in the State.

I've just received an e-mail from a friend of a friend who is relocating from the Los Angeles area as the spouse will be working in NYC...they can't find anything either (think their budget may be less) and now they're going to look around the Tenafly area in Bergen county.

There are also some rental and for sale property listings on http://www.maplewoodonline.com for Maplewood and Millburn/SH

I was thinking of renting our house out (as I'm living part-time in Singapore) and getting a small rental apt for our 20 year old son. However, it seems more trouble than it's worth to rent out a family home in NJ and I've been put off due to a disaster my friend is going through with her rental property - her tenant is due to be evicted later this week, but he's trashed the place.
Old May 19th 2009, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all
Default Re: New Jersey house rental

Thanks Englishmum..... it is a nightmare. I have been looking to buy but the prices are all over the place and i prefer to wait till i am in NJ full time before buying.

I have been living part time at the Short Hills Hilton but the kids are coming out end June from Europe when school finishes and a house needs to be found pronto.

Let me know if you find something good your friend doesn't like!!!
Old May 19th 2009, 7:22 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: New Jersey house rental

Originally Posted by digbydog
Thanks Englishmum..... it is a nightmare. I have been looking to buy but the prices are all over the place and i prefer to wait till i am in NJ full time before buying.

I have been living part time at the Short Hills Hilton but the kids are coming out end June from Europe when school finishes and a house needs to be found pronto.

Let me know if you find something good your friend doesn't like!!!
There is a house just off the end of my street going for $6500.... (Hobart Ave, SH - with Prudential).

Actually some friends (now back in the UK) rented a house near Old Short Hills Park....apparently the landlord owns loads of rental properties in Millburn/SH and I know that they paid the rent via a little estate agents near Millburn Stn. (http://www.delfornorealestate.com) so it might be worth giving them a call as I doubt that those properties end up on the MLS.

Did you know that there are two MLS in NJ? The other one is:

http://www.njmls.com

**OOOOOOOOH!!! Just noticed that this is my 4000th post on BE!!**

Last edited by Englishmum; May 19th 2009 at 7:29 pm.
Old May 19th 2009, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Swisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud of

Hello Digby Dog

I am in CHatham, which is very nice. We moved in last year and found a nice place to rent. I have to say though tha USD4000/month didn't go very far, esp as the market in rentals at the time was rather thin. Things may well have changed - I see a lot of 'For Rent' signs up around the place. Once your established at the Short Hills Hilton (prev my own home-from -home too) you'll be in a better position to look around.

We had some help from my company regarding finding accomodation - they basically set us up with a realtor who took us around a bit and set up some viewings. If you are not lucky enough to have similar help you could try contacting a realtor on your own account; they can get some fees from a rental, i beleive: if not you may be able to negotatiate an hourly rate for such help.....

Best of luck in your search!

Tony

PS re: bringing the kids over at the beginning of the summer - youi'll want to look into what you will do with them for the (very) long break - day camps etc - they can get booked up......
Old May 19th 2009, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Englishmum....... $6500 is a little strong for me...... be cheaper at the Hilton

SwissTony....... Chatham is my close second choice. Are you in the Township or Borough? Does it matter?
Old May 20th 2009, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Swisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud of

Bourough is closer to 'town', scuh as it is, and the rail station. Township further out - if you want to be able to walk to the rail station, you'll want to be in the Borough (and shoose carefully where) aside form that, doesn't seem to matter much
Old May 24th 2009, 4:52 pm

Lightbulb Re: New Jersey house rental

Originally Posted by digbydog
Looking to rent a 3-4 bed 2 bath house in either Chatham or Millburn under $4,000 per month. Anybody know of anything coming up? Nothing I like so far on GSMLS or Craigslist. Thanks in advance.
Just heard of something coming up in Millburn in your price range from an expat family who are vacating their rental home this Summer as they're being transferred to the South.

If you are considering other towns, do find out about parking at the train stations if you're going to need to park at a station if you have to go to NYC. Millburn & Short Hills currently has no waiting for a parking permit at the stations. There is free valet parking at Millburn station, and some parts of Millburn are now being served by the jitney to/from Maplewood station at $1 per trip.

I'm not sure but I think that Chatham has a wait-list (2 years?) for a parking permit at the station. Best to check with the Town Halls in the towns you are interested in before signing a lease! Most streets in the vicinity of the train stations have parking restrictions to keep commuters away.

Send me a PM if you want info on the Millburn house. (I'm not a realtor!)
Old May 24th 2009, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Englishmum....PM sent