Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Jersey Driving License Review

New Jersey Driving License Review

Old Mar 25th 2009, 10:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Jersey Driving License Review

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You're just sucking up to me for a pack of chilli & choc crisps aren't you?
:battlashes: lol

You've gotta try them don't you think? The balsamic & onion sounds.. oh my, they should bring them here. NOW.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

Special about NJ - apparently Britney was at the Short Hills mall today. Don't quite know how you'd tell her apart from the rest of the trash My wife and mother in law have not stopped talking about it all bloody afternoon.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 10:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
:battlashes: lol

You've gotta try them don't you think? The balsamic & onion sounds.. oh my, they should bring them here. NOW.
Now you're a double suck up.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:44 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Now you're a double suck up.
If it pleases Madam.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:43 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goatherder
sorry further info - just pulled the bit of paper with all the details on it they gave me (ie the actual licence) - at the top it says temp immigration status... I might ask these people at the review if thats correct tomorrow.
It seems that NJ DMV will only give you a license valid for as long as the documentation you have indicates, plus 3 months. I had the temp immigr status on mine from my L1 visa, they didn't remove it when I got my conditional green card, then I had to go back again with my extension letter from the removal of conditions and they gave me another year. I went back last week with my 10 year card, and I asked them to remove the temp immigrant status and they did but it took them a lot longer to do that than a simple renewal. I don't think it affects anything to be honest.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:03 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
It seems that NJ DMV will only give you a license valid for as long as the documentation you have indicates, plus 3 months. I had the temp immigr status on mine from my L1 visa, they didn't remove it when I got my conditional green card, then I had to go back again with my extension letter from the removal of conditions and they gave me another year. I went back last week with my 10 year card, and I asked them to remove the temp immigrant status and they did but it took them a lot longer to do that than a simple renewal. I don't think it affects anything to be honest.
Not so sure about that. I got my license renewed last October and it expires end of September 2012. My Green Card expires a year earlier. I also took a driving test when I first got here and was still on my K-1 visa. I'm pretty sure that one lasted 4 years. That was pre-9/11, though, so maybe the rules have changed since then, but it seems I get these 4 year licenses from NJ.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
Not so sure about that. I got my license renewed last October and it expires end of September 2012. My Green Card expires a year earlier. I also took a driving test when I first got here and was still on my K-1 visa. I'm pretty sure that one lasted 4 years. That was pre-9/11, though, so maybe the rules have changed since then, but it seems I get these 4 year licenses from NJ.
Lots of states changed their DL rules post 9/11, after it came out that some of the hijackers had overstayed their visas but still had valid DLs. I was all set to renew my Ohio DL on 9/11/01... my workplace, a hospital, activated its disaster plan and nobody could leave until after 5 pm. I renewed it the next day, and got the usual 4 years. Ohio changed the rules some months later, and linked renewals to the date on the I-94. That would have been a hassle for me because I was getting 1-year TNs at the time. The 4 year renewal was long enough for me to get a marriage-based GC.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
It doesn't matter when your GC expires...you are still a permanent resident. P

Our first NJ drivers licence was for the duration of our L1 visa.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

Hi

Firstly the Driving License Review. It appears that someone has my exact name and date of birth but 10 years older. He's also been a very bad boy driving wise so they are after him. I had to fill out a form listing everywhere I'd lived for the past 20 years. The Conference Agent then asked me a bunch of questions about this person and his friends - I'd never heard of any of them nor where the actual crimes took place (somewhere down south in Jersey). The lady said that if she is satisfied that I wasn't different to the guy then I'd have to go to court and they would issue something which said I wasn't the guy. Anyway luckily she sorted it all out.

Then back to Elizabeth to have the License issued.

The ended up giving me 3 months after the visa expires based on the entry date not the visa issue date. So I'm good for awhile.

Thanks all for your assistance. I've seen 6 different DMV's in the past 2 days (Springfield, Elizabeth, Newark, Patterson, Newton & Randolph) - the last two being the best for speed and surrounds by far.

Oh and if you ever find yourself short of documentation Elizabeth accepted my SSN as proof of address (the bit that wraps around it when they send it to you.) Some of the others would not as it was care off (C/O).

Goat.

Last edited by goatherder; Mar 26th 2009 at 10:22 pm. Reason: typos...
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:26 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Lots of states changed their DL rules post 9/11, after it came out that some of the hijackers had overstayed their visas but still had valid DLs. I was all set to renew my Ohio DL on 9/11/01... my workplace, a hospital, activated its disaster plan and nobody could leave until after 5 pm. I renewed it the next day, and got the usual 4 years. Ohio changed the rules some months later, and linked renewals to the date on the I-94. That would have been a hassle for me because I was getting 1-year TNs at the time. The 4 year renewal was long enough for me to get a marriage-based GC.
NJ have changed a couple of times. I first got mine early in 2003 and was only allowed to apply at one of the regional centres. The license was also going to go into automatic suspension at the end of that time and I would have had to go back to the regional centre. At that time the license expired on the day your documentation expired. However they changed the rules again by that time and it then only expired rather than got suspended and I could go anywhere to get it, plus they extended for 3 months beyond the end date of the visa or other documentation.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
However they changed the rules again by that time and it then only expired rather than got suspended and I could go anywhere to get it, plus they extended for 3 months beyond the end date of the visa or other documentation.
Nice to hear they relaxed things a bit. From other boards, I heard that Canadians in NJ on TN status were having a lot of trouble getting DLs.