Reload this Page >

New to Jersey City Waterfront

New to Jersey City Waterfront

Old Jan 15th 2012, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

bravenewworld is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to Jersey City Waterfront

Hi Everybody,

I a new the to the board and have just move to Jersey waterfront (manhattan to rich for my blood!).

Been in the US for a while but this it my first time her on this board and in a new area on my own. So keen to hear of any advice, cool places to go and things to see in JC and a good plan to get myself established and build up some friends and a bit of network.

Done a bunch of searching on the site already and got some good tips. But really wanted to say hello and get a feel from other people in a similar situation (or were) and how they made it work.

Thanks,

BNW
Old Jan 15th 2012, 5:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Jersey City Waterfront

I'm not in that area and don't have any advice, but welcome to BE!
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bravenewworld
Hi Everybody,

I a new the to the board and have just move to Jersey waterfront (manhattan to rich for my blood!).

Been in the US for a while but this it my first time her on this board and in a new area on my own. So keen to hear of any advice, cool places to go and things to see in JC and a good plan to get myself established and build up some friends and a bit of network.

Done a bunch of searching on the site already and got some good tips. But really wanted to say hello and get a feel from other people in a similar situation (or were) and how they made it work.

Thanks,

BNW
Hello and welcome to BE.

Jersey City isn't exactly one of the nicest cities in the US...apart from the view of Manhattan from the waterfront. Take care.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

cgcgcg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jerseygirl,
I've been in Jersey City waterfront / Newport area for around 3 1/2 years now, been here since I first moved to the States. I really like living here and my big apartment is the envy of my friends who are broke by shelling out for huge Manhattan rents!
I work in Manhattan and get the ferry (www.nywaterway.com) to work - they have ferries going to World Financial Center, Pier 11 and Midtown / Pier 39.
PATH train is fine. I've travelled on it many times alone (I'm female) and never had any safety issues. Try using www.nynj.net to check the times of the next trains before you head down to the platform.
The area around Grove St has lots going on, some good bars and restaurants - I like the character of the area there and the fact that there aren't many chain stores.
Newport also has bits and pieces but it's more 'functional' and whilst no restaurants have ever wowed me there, they are reasonably priced and fair quality.
Check out the Jersey City Fridays - a festival around Grove St once a week: www.jcfridays.com and the Artists Studio Tour is also pretty cool, if you're into that type of thing: www.proartsstudio.com
The Brownstone Diner is well worth checking out - great food and good atmosphere.
I never really head into Jersey City Heights, as there is nothing I need from up there which I can't get in Jersey City Downtown.
Food shopping I do bigger weekly type shops at Shop Rite or Target. Sometimes go to Morton Williams at Newport plus maybe a delivery from Fresh Direct if I'm buying in bulk.
Newport currently has an ice rink for the winter, which is kind of fun.
If you're a Brit, there is an expat meet up group in Hoboken, who are friendly and fun - they organize frequent social events and you can easy get there on the Light Rail:
http://www.meetup.com/Hoboken-Britis...-Rugby-Soccer/
You could check out discussions on here:
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/index.php
for hints and info on the area.
For recommendations in your 'hood' - whereabouts on the waterfront are you? What things do you like to do? Let me know and I'll send some more specific bits and pieces.
Hope that helps and welcome to JC!
Old Jan 16th 2012, 12:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello and welcome to BE.

Jersey City isn't exactly one of the nicest cities in the US...apart from the view of Manhattan from the waterfront. Take care.
Thanks for the welcome!!!

Your right central downtown JC is not great, but the waterfront is a different ball game. I don't I will ever go into JC proper for anything, but thats for the heads up folks!
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello and welcome to BE.

Pavonia/Newport and Exchange Place is a world apart from the rest of Jersey City, though. That area is slowly becoming the new Wall Street. Pretty much every financial company on Wall Street set up shop in the area after 9/11, and stayed when they realized how much cheaper the rent was.

I have worked in the area for about 11 years now, and feel perfectly safe there, even late at night.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cgcgcg
Hi Jerseygirl,
I've been in Jersey City waterfront / Newport area for around 3 1/2 years now, been here since I first moved to the States. I really like living here and my big apartment is the envy of my friends who are broke by shelling out for huge Manhattan rents!
I work in Manhattan and get the ferry (www.nywaterway.com) to work - they have ferries going to World Financial Center, Pier 11 and Midtown / Pier 39.
PATH train is fine. I've travelled on it many times alone (I'm female) and never had any safety issues. Try using www.nynj.net to check the times of the next trains before you head down to the platform.
The area around Grove St has lots going on, some good bars and restaurants - I like the character of the area there and the fact that there aren't many chain stores.
Newport also has bits and pieces but it's more 'functional' and whilst no restaurants have ever wowed me there, they are reasonably priced and fair quality.
Check out the Jersey City Fridays - a festival around Grove St once a week: www.jcfridays.com and the Artists Studio Tour is also pretty cool, if you're into that type of thing: www.proartsstudio.com
The Brownstone Diner is well worth checking out - great food and good atmosphere.
I never really head into Jersey City Heights, as there is nothing I need from up there which I can't get in Jersey City Downtown.
Food shopping I do bigger weekly type shops at Shop Rite or Target. Sometimes go to Morton Williams at Newport plus maybe a delivery from Fresh Direct if I'm buying in bulk.
Newport currently has an ice rink for the winter, which is kind of fun.
If you're a Brit, there is an expat meet up group in Hoboken, who are friendly and fun - they organize frequent social events and you can easy get there on the Light Rail:
http://www.meetup.com/Hoboken-Britis...-Rugby-Soccer/
You could check out discussions on here:
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/index.php
for hints and info on the area.
For recommendations in your 'hood' - whereabouts on the waterfront are you? What things do you like to do? Let me know and I'll send some more specific bits and pieces.
Hope that helps and welcome to JC!
Thanks cgcgcg that is the kind of help and info I am after! :-)

I looked around manhatten and I could not find the type of place I would like for the money I could spend. Here I have great views and I am really close to where I need to be. So I really agree with you.

Will check out the expat club sounds like it would be good fun. I am in Exchange Place so any insights to there would be great.

Thanks,

BNW