Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Jersey - Car Insurance

New Jersey - Car Insurance

Old Jun 25th 2004, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

THFC1 will become famous soon enoughTHFC1 will become famous soon enough
Default New Jersey - Car Insurance

I've just moved into Hoboken from the UK and I'm trying to find a car insurance company who operates in NJ. All the big companies (Geico, State Farm) don't seem to insure in NJ and the only one I have found takes 3 weeks to process any application. For those of you that live in NJ.... who do you insure with and were they expat friendly? I don't yet have a NJ licence either as I'm still waiting for my SS number (5 weeks so far).

I have two weeks to buy a car and get the insurance or I'll be hitch hiking to Bergen County!

Would appreciate any advice.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 6:51 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

We used First Trenton Indemnity Company. We were put in touch with them through International Autosource and they gave us a quote and the chance to pay monthly which helped establish a credit line for us with other things.

I am pretty sure they accept people who don't go through IA because we know another expat family who used them for car insurance.

Auto insurance is very expensive in NJ and Trenton were more than the average but I know many expats couldn't get insurance through other companies so we were pleased to not have the hassle.

After being with them for the first year we were able to shop around for a better quote and save quite a bit, but they did help us get a foot in the door.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:50 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice
Default Re: New Jersey - Car Insurance

Originally posted by THFC1
I've just moved into Hoboken from the UK and I'm trying to find a car insurance company who operates in NJ. All the big companies (Geico, State Farm) don't seem to insure in NJ and the only one I have found takes 3 weeks to process any application. For those of you that live in NJ.... who do you insure with and were they expat friendly? I don't yet have a NJ licence either as I'm still waiting for my SS number (5 weeks so far).

I have two weeks to buy a car and get the insurance or I'll be hitch hiking to Bergen County!

welcome to the US, where in Bergen country will you be working?
Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

I've been here for 4 weeks now working in Park Ridge. Originally stayed in a hotel in Saddle River which was very nice - some huge houses around. Just moved to an apartment in Hoboken. Great area but not enjoying the morning traffic so much! Keep trying new routes to work but often end up getting lost.....the road signs are terrible!
Old Jun 25th 2004, 8:05 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

I've been here for 4 weeks now working in Park Ridge. Originally stayed in a hotel in Saddle River which was very nice - some huge houses around. Just moved to an apartment in Hoboken. Great area but not enjoying the morning traffic so much! Keep trying new routes to work but often end up getting lost.....the road signs are terrible!

you'll get the hang of it!

I would think the best way for you to go would be 495, 3 then 17N

what line of work are you in? You're in good company round here, loads of Brits in Hoboken, NYC and Bergen County
Old Jun 25th 2004, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

That does seem the best route, once you get to the 3 it's fairly clear.

I work for Hertz car rental dealing with pricing, so if you ever need any car rental advice......!
Old Jun 26th 2004, 11:03 am
Just Joined

marmite74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Jersey - Car Insurance

Welcome to the wonderful world of car insurance in the USA!
I also used First Trenton when I first came to US as they were only company that would insure me-was classed as new driver for first 3 years and that really pushes up your premium.
Just had a major claim with them after totalling my car a few weeks ago and they have been great. They are not cheap but as I say they were only company around who would insure me, others would quote then find out the new driver thing and refuse to cover.
Good luck.
What's the delay with the social? That must be a nightmare we couldn't do anything without that, no phone, cable, car, drivers licence bank account etc?
Old Jun 26th 2004, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

We had a hard time getting insurance 2 years ago but managed to get it through a broker recommended by our local Ford showroom. 6 months insurance for a Ford Focus was $1600. After that 6 months we changed to NJM (must be employee of company that use NJM?) The premium them dropped to $800 for 12 months. I know we probably paid way over the odds the first time but at least it got us on the insurance ladder. We have a Trenton zipcode, but don't actually live in Trenton, which bumps up the premium.

The state of NJ wanted to try and reduce the number of non-insured motorists so an insurance company was set up offering cheaper insurance with limitations. I can't for the life of me remember it's name but I am sure you will be able to find it on the internet.

We managed to get our licences before getting our SSN numbers. Went to Trenton DMV and they took us in a side room. I thinked they checked with immigration that we were legally here and after about 30 minutes they told us to go take our tests. We both failed the first time. It is a multiple choice test done on computer. Nearly all our questions were about how much you get fined for DWI, what fines you get for speeding and so on. Hardly any questions about actual road laws. We both passed with flying colours 2nd time, I strongly suggest you get the equivalent of the Highway Code from your DMV.

Hope this information helps a bit.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Earle Mosley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I live in Hobken and the traffic can be really bad. Best way out of Hoboken to North NJ, is Park Ave to the 495 ramp(left), then 495 to Route #3, make a right on Route #120 and follow it to Route #17, then the Parkway north. I used to work in Northern NJ and hated the commute.

Whe I first came here, I bought car insurance from a broker without a problem.

If you live in Hoboken, its better to work in the city or Jersey City.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 2:24 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Hoboken, THFC1.

The Mrs and I are insured with Allstate - we pay $3200 a year to insure a new Honda CR-V. And that's with a modest discount for having security etching on the windows.

As to whether they're expat friendly, my USC wife sorted it all out so I couldn't really say.

It's not the traffic that I find annoying in/around Hoboken, but the insane competition for parking spots - I've seen the police break up screaming matches in the street over parking here. It's not unusual for me to have to prowl the streets for up to half an hour looking for a spot in the evening.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 1:07 pm
dealing with it

Originally posted by elfman
Welcome to Hoboken, THFC1.

The Mrs and I are insured with Allstate - we pay $3200 a year to insure a new Honda CR-V. And that's with a modest discount for having security etching on the windows.

As to whether they're expat friendly, my USC wife sorted it all out so I couldn't really say.

It's not the traffic that I find annoying in/around Hoboken, but the insane competition for parking spots - I've seen the police break up screaming matches in the street over parking here. It's not unusual for me to have to prowl the streets for up to half an hour looking for a spot in the evening.
I couldn't agree more, a nightmare is in store everytime I visit people in Hoboken, to the point that I have just given up driving there and started to get the Path then walk/cab the rest of the way.

I would recommend getting a space in one of the multistory units...you can pay monthly for about $400 at the most.