Reload this Page >

new immigrant and Obamacare

new immigrant and Obamacare

Old Dec 13th 2017, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

john09_2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new immigrant and Obamacare

Hello,

i have a question i been wrestling with as obamacare deadline approaching fast. is getting obamacare tax credit for recent PR "2 years in US" while unemployed allowed? i was informed by an obamacare agent that new immigrants who are below the 100% poverty line & dont qualify for medicaid due to immigration status qualify for tax credit from the exchange, so i can get up to 440$ that can be used in any plan i choose>
i am assuming the idea is that when i get a job during 2018 they will look my total income at year end and potentially pay back that 440$ to IRS if i make above a certain limit, Example more than 47000? i dont mind that as long as it is ok from an immigration perspective & whether it falls under public charge

Tnx a lot in advance,
John
Old Dec 14th 2017, 1:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new immigrant and Obamacare

I thought the Immigrants thing was only for those who did not qualify for Medicare.

Tax credits are not a public charge.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

I thought medicare is for senior folks & was never a means tested benefit unlike Medicaid for recent immigrants, but this whole thing is confusing to me!
Old Dec 14th 2017, 1:54 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john09_2013
I thought medicare is for senior folks & was never a means tested benefit unlike Medicaid for recent immigrants, but this whole thing is confusing to me!
I would have thought that Medicaid (and certainly not Medicare) would not enter the equation. You just apply for coverage through the exchange and if you receive too big a credit initially, you will eventually repay it.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 2:01 am
Account Closed

Short version

If you move here as an OAP you will not do the work quarters to get basic Medicare so will have to wait 5 years to buy in, during that period you can buy OCare and get a tax credit if you have no or little income.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Short version

If you move here as an OAP you will not do the work quarters to get basic Medicare so will have to wait 5 years to buy in, during that period you can buy OCare and get a tax credit if you have no or little income.
From earlier posts the OP is single and of working age.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

That is correct, i am in my 30s, so medicare is not an issue..
I guess what i understood is that anything has to do with Obamacare is not under means-tested benefits so no public charge issue, since i will probably pay it back in year end to IRS
Old Dec 14th 2017, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
From earlier posts the OP is single and of working age.
Correct
Old Dec 14th 2017, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

I guess what i understood is that anything has to do with Obamacare is not under means-tested benefits so no public charge issue, since i will probably pay it back in year end to IRS
ObamaCare is such a mess it is difficult to keep up with all the nuances.

Paying back or not it is not a public charge issue. I believe the tax credit will depend on what you out down as your estimated income for next year and I think anything due back can only come out of any year end rebate due.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been unemployed since your arrival in 2015/6?
Old Dec 14th 2017, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed it is when we have a president actively trying to destroy it.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 6:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Have you been unemployed since your arrival in 2015/6?
It appears that he was an immigrant to Canada and filed in Feb 2013 for Canadian citizenship. His mother filed for him to come to the US and he had his immigration interview in Montreal in 2015. So it would appear that he is living with his mother and his brother (brother is joint sponsor financially) and apparently has not worked since entering the US. If he entered in 2015, what has he been doing for medical insurance for the last two years?

Last edited by Rete; Dec 14th 2017 at 6:51 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

I worked 2015 but not 2016 as i had medical issues which were treated overseas, started Grad school in 2017, i didn't do any obamacare since i made less than threshhold to get it or even file taxes, but still filed wit IRS regardless.
is that an issue with immigration?
Old Dec 14th 2017, 7:11 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I worked 2015 but not 2016 as i had medical issues which were treated overseas, started Grad school in 2017, i didn't do any obamacare since i made less than threshhold to get it or even file taxes, but still filed wit IRS regardless.
is that an issue with immigration?
This is to do with your paying premiums and getting a break on the cost via your taxes -- it doesn't involve anything to do with means testing that might reflect upon your sponsor. Hurry up and get your insurance before the window closes!
Old Dec 15th 2017, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Let's face it - the health system in the US is a mess. It's one of the worst things about living here. Health CARE is generally very good - IF you can get it. It's the health INSURANCE system that is such a monumental disaster. The red tape costs billions. The US is the only major, developed country that does not provide universal healthcare - other countries can do so at lower cost, with higher life expectancy and lower infant mortality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.