Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New to houston!

New to houston!

Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

la-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nice
Default New to houston!

hi everyone,
I am relatively new to BE and have been mainly posting on MBTUK forum, but I thought I would just stop by and say hi.

I am from NI and been living in Boston for years and just recently moved to Houston. It feels like I have just moved here from the UK, everything is so different here in TX. I think I am having a bit of culture shock without even leaving america

I have never felt as homesick in my life as I do living in Houston,
and today I met the loveliest Scottish lady in Wal mart, she was so friendly and told me that Houston is full of people from the UK, so I just want to stop by and see if I can find any of y'all
Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:04 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to houston!

Hi and Welcome,

I am in Houston (Pearland to be exact) and moved here from Aberdeen, Scotland 5 months ago. Since then we have got drivers licences, SSN's, bought cars, got credit cards, enrolled son at school, survived the Summer & Hurricane Ike and are moving from our apartment to our new house TODAY .

So all in all a crazy few months but we are all finally starting to enjoy Houston and hope you will too !! At least the weather has cooled down now and we can walk (I know crazy UK concept) around without melting
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there. I'm not in Houston, but near Fort Worth. Moved here 10 months ago from Michigan and I agree about things being very different "down here". If you're posting in the MBTUK forum does this mean you're planning to return home?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:28 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by la-chica-irlandesa
hi everyone,
I am relatively new to BE and have been mainly posting on MBTUK forum, but I thought I would just stop by and say hi.

I am from NI and been living in Boston for years and just recently moved to Houston. It feels like I have just moved here from the UK, everything is so different here in TX. I think I am having a bit of culture shock without even leaving america

I have never felt as homesick in my life as I do living in Houston,
and today I met the loveliest Scottish lady in Wal mart, she was so friendly and told me that Houston is full of people from the UK, so I just want to stop by and see if I can find any of y'all
hi newbie, you'll find quite a lot of scottish people in houston, i think they have their own meet-up but not too sure. hope you enjoy the city, TX really is quite different from any other state..all the best
Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

check the frapr map that's stickied up top, as there's quite a few of you poor souls in houston
Old Oct 31st 2008, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
check the frapr map that's stickied up top, as there's quite a few of you poor souls in houston
nice one bob...guess you could call us that
Old Oct 31st 2008, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

<waves>

Another Houstonian here - well Katy to be precise!

Welcome!

Unlike some, I love it here. No intentions on going home any time soon. Life is far too easy, and the weather is great. Even in the summer it's not so bad as there is always air-con to keep cool!

Let us know if we can help with anything. I found this site invaluable when I first came out here. Still do .. always finding some useful info, and not just from the States either.

Good luck!
Old Nov 1st 2008, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

la-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mandana
<waves>

Another Houstonian here - well Katy to be precise!

Welcome!

Unlike some, I love it here. No intentions on going home any time soon. Life is far too easy, and the weather is great. Even in the summer it's not so bad as there is always air-con to keep cool!

Let us know if we can help with anything. I found this site invaluable when I first came out here. Still do .. always finding some useful info, and not just from the States either.

Good luck!

Hi to everyone and thanks for the lovely welcome

I am delighted to hear there are more people here from the UK.
I moved to Houston in the midst of the heat, to a house where the AC did not work for 2 months, so I just about died!!! but I agree Mandana having AC makes life all the better here!

I am in Houston but I think I am on the border of Katy and possibly on the border of Cypress, cant really figure out if I am in Langham creek or Bear creek.

Well good luck to all who have moved recently also and I hope to get to know you all on here
Old Nov 1st 2008, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisa67
Hi there. I'm not in Houston, but near Fort Worth. Moved here 10 months ago from Michigan and I agree about things being very different "down here". If you're posting in the MBTUK forum does this mean you're planning to return home?

Hi Lisa, I think it probably takes a while to get used to living in other states, i feel like Living in New England and the south west are like living in 2 different countries, one thing for sure is the people here are way more laid back.
How do you like Fort worth??

I would like to move back home sometime in 2010, my husband will have his visa until sept 2010 but I would like to go around June, well that is the plan right now, we'll see what life throws at us in the meantime!!
Old Nov 1st 2008, 3:35 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Hello to The Irish Girl! Great username. I have a big soft spot for folks from Norn Iron (the clue is in my username).

I am 140 miles west-northwest of you in Austin and it's *really* different. I grew up in Texas and I wonder if I could happily live in Houston .

If you are into the music scene, come to Austin in March for SXSW.... there's a huge British contingent every year.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Hello to The Irish Girl! Great username. I have a big soft spot for folks from Norn Iron (the clue is in my username).

I am 140 miles west-northwest of you in Austin and it's *really* different. I grew up in Texas and I wonder if I could happily live in Houston .

If you are into the music scene, come to Austin in March for SXSW.... there's a huge British contingent every year.
Hi snowbunny, I think I must be pretty dumb, what is the clue, sorry!!!

It sounds like a great time to go to Austin, we keep saying we will take a weekend and go, maybe we'll do it then.

Yeah, it seems to be that people either love houston or hate it, hopefully i'll become a lover
Old Nov 1st 2008, 3:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome. I am a bit south of Houston (40 miles) but it's home now and I like it.

Hope you settle in soon.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Welcome. I am a bit south of Houston (40 miles) but it's home now and I like it.

Hope you settle in soon.
Thanks so much
Old Nov 1st 2008, 3:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la-chica-irlandesa
Thanks so much

....and as soon as you get chance you need to take a trip to the hill country. It is a lot prettier than our flatland here

We're going to Greune tomorrow (near New Braunfels) on the bike. Should be a good day out!
Old Nov 1st 2008, 5:26 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
....and as soon as you get chance you need to take a trip to the hill country. It is a lot prettier than our flatland here

We're going to Greune tomorrow (near New Braunfels) on the bike. Should be a good day out!
Sounds like a good trip! I-10 all the way to SA?

Whenever I say I don't like Houston, I am not having a go at the lovely folk living there.... I grew up on the Gulf Coast but find myself happier perched on the edge of the Hill Country. I went out a few minutes ago to bring in the pumpkins safe from mischievous teenagers, and had to chase two escapee cats. The stars are so clear, the air is dry, and I could hear a mournful train sounding in the distance.

My user name derives in part from the band Snow Patrol. I love the Northern Irish accent and find that it's really easy to speak in it -- I cannot do Scots or NZ or Oz!

You will find a few Americans and other nationalities on the board. We have British (or in my case, Dutch) spouses, or love the UK, or just like the company here.

Mandana, I'm so happy that you seem to be over some of your homesickness. Are you or any of the other Houstonians up for a group meet? Maybe sometime we could have a BE campout at Garner State Park. That would be awesome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.