Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Honda Odyssey - Buy Outright or Finance

New Honda Odyssey - Buy Outright or Finance

Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Honda Odyssey - Buy Outright or Finance

Originally Posted by Lucybell33
Thank you. I would prefer a new one overall, because then I can choose exactly the options I'd like. However, if it comes down to having to wait months for right new, vs picking up the right used off of the forecourt, I'll have to go with the latter to start with. Will investigate further when we're over in April.

Thanks all for your replies!
Honda don't offer 'options' like other car manufacturers do. Each model has its own set of features and, apart from dealer-installed options, that's it. IOW, an Odyssey EX-L will have the same factory equipment as any other of the same model year. Of course, things like front fog lights, DVD systems, etc. can be added at the dealership.

This has the huge advantage of enabling the buyer to compare offers from dealers much more accurately as you are always comparing like-for-like.

Use Edmunds.com for basic info and a price guide of what you should pay.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Honda don't offer 'options' like other car manufacturers do. Each model has its own set of features and, apart from dealer-installed options, that's it. IOW, an Odyssey EX-L will have the same factory equipment as any other of the same model year. Of course, things like front fog lights, DVD systems, etc. can be added at the dealership.

This has the huge advantage of enabling the buyer to compare offers from dealers much more accurately as you are always comparing like-for-like.

Use Edmunds.com for basic info and a price guide of what you should pay.
Yes - sorry, I mostly meant important things like the colour (interior & exterior). Remember, I am a girl!

Thanks for that website - I'll check it out!
Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

The dealership might give you a poor interest rate if you are taking a loan with little or poor credit history. If you are paying a big deposit try and haggle down the interest rate. Check rates at a local credit union to use as a comparison. The dealer makes money off selling the loans too. Get the actual price "on the road" before you talk about financing otherwise you might find that they tag on the tax,tag and title fees on later and the deal you negotiated may not seem so sweet.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - sorry, I mostly meant important things like the colour (interior & exterior). Remember, I am a girl!

Thanks for that website - I'll check it out!
I've found Truecar.com useful too, to get an idea of retail and invoice prices for different models.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshgator
The dealership might give you a poor interest rate if you are taking a loan with little or poor credit history. If you are paying a big deposit try and haggle down the interest rate. Check rates at a local credit union to use as a comparison. The dealer makes money off selling the loans too. Get the actual price "on the road" before you talk about financing otherwise you might find that they tag on the tax,tag and title fees on later and the deal you negotiated may not seem so sweet.
Thanks - that's why I was wondering if the boost to credit history was worth the expense. I guess I'll just have to investigate further when we're over.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Welshgator
I've found Truecar.com useful too, to get an idea of retail and invoice prices for different models.
Thank you - that's a nice-looking site!
Old Jan 16th 2014, 12:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I ...... have my heart set on a Honda Odyssey. ....
/
Old Jan 16th 2014, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
/
It's all relative!! Clearly, if I had no requirement to be able to transport kids and visitors, I'd have my heart set on something else entirely!
Old Jan 16th 2014, 12:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It's all relative!! Clearly, if I had no requirement to be able to transport kids and visitors, I'd have my heart set on something else entirely!
The Odyssey is a unibody crossover i.e. like cars, it has no chassis, but so do almost all SUVs. Also SUVs often have seven seats, like a minivan, and are (slightly bizarrely) available with 2WD, like a minivan, so structurally a mid-sized SUV can be indistinguishable from a minivan, except of course one of these vehicle types is a plug-ugly box that nobody "has their heart set on".

"Yeah, but an SUV is massive compared to the Odyssey", I hear you say. Er, no, a Ford Explorer, the top selling SUV, available 2wd and with seven seats, is 5 inches SHORTER than an Odyssey!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 16th 2014 at 12:50 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 1:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
...except of course one of these vehicle types is a plug-ugly box that nobody "has their heart set on".
And the other is a naff looking SUV

It's not all about bums on seats numbers that count....it's the war zone compartmentalisation and room to throw after school crap in that comes handy and more practical.

And that's coming from someone who hates people carriers too.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

I do have a few more reasons for going for the Odyssey:

- I currently drive a Honda CRV, so hoping going for another Honda will ease the transition to a bigger car.

- My 7-year-old son really wants a car with electric sliding doors, and given how unconvinced he is about the move, I'm more than happy to give him this.

- It's the highest rated minivan on Consumer Reports!
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:25 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I do have a few more reasons for going for the Odyssey:

- I currently drive a Honda CRV, so hoping going for another Honda will ease the transition to a bigger car.

- My 7-year-old son really wants a car with electric sliding doors, and given how unconvinced he is about the move, I'm more than happy to give him this.

- It's the highest rated minivan on Consumer Reports!
After you buy it, come over to the Lets Talk About Cars thread and help me annoy Pulaski with pictures.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutek
After you buy it, come over to the Lets Talk About Cars thread and help me annoy Pulaski with pictures.
I'd be delighted!

I'll bet he'll have loved my previous car too - a bright yellow PT Cruiser!!
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:26 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be delighted!
Perfect.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
It's called "Lets Talk About Cars", and this is America, so of course that includes trucks. Talk about minivans is not welcome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.