Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New gun thread, but this time, its very different....

New gun thread, but this time, its very different....

Old Dec 8th 2009, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default New gun thread, but this time, its very different....

That got your attention.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/12...y5930396.shtml

You can buy a car from an out-of-state dealer and pick it up there. You can buy a house in another part of the country, as speculators unwisely did during the real estate bubble, sight unseen. But even though the Second Amendment protects an individual right to own firearms -- and presumably to buy them -- you can't purchase a handgun while you're visiting another state.

A gun rights group has sued the Justice Department to overturn this prohibition, which became law as part of the Gun Control Act of 1968, and the case is now in front of U.S. District Judge James Robertson in Washington, D.C.
<snip>

Last edited by Bob; Dec 8th 2009 at 2:44 pm. Reason: copyright infringment
Old Dec 8th 2009, 1:37 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New gun thread, but this time, its very different....

why would you want a to buy a gun whilst on a weeks vacation????? Its not like you can take it back out of the country with you anyway?????

I dont get the big deal about guns, I dont like the fact that everyone wants them in their house, for their grandkids to shoot up the street with, and I certainly agree that you shouldnt be able to buy them out of state - its much easier to kill someone with a gun than a house......
Old Dec 8th 2009, 1:50 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
why would you want a to buy a gun whilst on a weeks vacation????? Its not like you can take it back out of the country with you anyway?????

I dont get the big deal about guns, I dont like the fact that everyone wants them in their house, for their grandkids to shoot up the street with, and I certainly agree that you shouldnt be able to buy them out of state - its much easier to kill someone with a gun than a house......

Here ya go Sonny... Take this .38 and go shoot up the street!
Old Dec 8th 2009, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

"Oh noes!!! I can't go to Pennsyltucky and buy a pistol!!! Oh wait, hang on, I can just go to the gun shop around the corner from my house and buy one from there instead... Well, phew!"

Why would a person living outside of the US, coming back to visit want to purchase a firearm? They'd most likely not be allowed to take it home with them anyway?

Funny, having read the thread, that is almost an exact mirror of MellyBrowns post! Wierd.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:11 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

So does it work for collectors?

Say you collect Ruger Single Six convertibles. You are on vacation in another state and find a rare early model, low serial # practically mint in the original box in some dusty shop. Can you not purchase it?
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
I'm confused. If I'm an American citizen living in the UK, I can't bring the gun back with me anyway to Britain. So what does this law have to do with the law of the country I'm living in?! I'd be interested to know which country these Americans are supposedly living in.

Or I wonder if this lawyer just got a wild idea and decided to file a lawsuit on the behalf of poor ex-pats that can't buy a gun while vacationing in the US. I suppose this foundation think if they can win this argument for expats, then it will be a way to repeal the ban on selling to out-of-staters. I don't think 'gun control' works all that well, but I think this just asks for trouble.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Dec 8th 2009 at 4:21 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank

Say you collect Ruger Single Six convertibles. You are on vacation in another state and find a rare early model, low serial # practically mint in the original box in some dusty shop. Can you not purchase it?

Can you buy from another state from, say E-Bay and have it shipped?

If you can then what's stopping you buying when you are on vacation and having the seller ship it to you?

Or do I have it all wrong???
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:15 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have to have it shipped to a dealer (local gun store for example) in your state who has a Federal Firearms License.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

That looks to be the case under the Gun Control Act of 1968. But, having read it again, I'm not sure if that's what's being argued.

It's more about US Citizens livings in another country visiting and trying to purchase firearms. While they may be constitutionally allowed to do it, what are they planning on doing with the firearm when the go back to their respective countries? Import it illegally? Sell it?
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:21 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Can you buy from another state from, say E-Bay and have it shipped?

If you can then what's stopping you buying when you are on vacation and having the seller ship it to you?
Originally Posted by thinbrit
I think you have to have it shipped to a dealer (local gun store for example) in your state who has a Federal Firearms License.
This, I think, is the crux of the matter. According to my (somewhat cursory) reading of the law, the issue is:

You are allowed to buy a handgun from an out of state dealer and have it shipped to a local FFL for transfer, as you are not physically present in the out of state dealers store. (We've all done this).

But, you are not allowed to do the exact same thing if you are physically present in the out of state store.

Makes no sense? What a surprise.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:37 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by chartreuse
This, I think, is the crux of the matter. According to my (somewhat cursory) reading of the law, the issue is:

You are allowed to buy a handgun from an out of state dealer and have it shipped to a local FFL for transfer, as you are not physically present in the out of state dealers store. (We've all done this).

But, you are not allowed to do the exact same thing if you are physically present in the out of state store.

Makes no sense? What a surprise.
Yeah, that's the point that confused me.

I can see the opportunity arising for a USC expat to buy a firearm (BTW is this all firearms or just handguns?) while living in another country. I own several firearms and if I ever had to move overseas for work, I certainly wouldn't sell them. And I can also finding something else to add to the collection while on a visit back to the states. Especially if I was rich enough to buy guns whenever I saw one that struck my fancy. I just wouldn't take it back with me.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:45 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

I can see the opportunity arising for a USC expat to buy a firearm (BTW is this all firearms or just handguns?) while living in another country. I own several firearms and if I ever had to move overseas for work, I certainly wouldn't sell them. And I can also finding something else to add to the collection while on a visit back to the states. Especially if I was rich enough to buy guns whenever I saw one that struck my fancy. I just wouldn't take it back with me.
My post was about handguns - there's a carve out for long guns.

The issue of USC expats buying guns abroad is a whole 'nother thing and brings lunacy like 922(r) into play - where a foreign rifle is evil and illegal unless a certain number of parts (some minor, like magazine followers) are replaced with identical US manufactured parts, at which point it becomes saintly and legal...
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that's the point that confused me.

You may find it pretty difficult, if not illegal, to take those guns with you to another country, depending on their gun laws. Which is why I think this whole thing seems sort of silly.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:48 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
You may find it pretty difficult, if not illegal, to take those guns with you to another country, depending on their gun laws. Which is why I think this whole thing seems sort of silly.
I know, read the last line of my post. I'm talking a temporary assignment, where I'd eventually return to the US, not a permanent immigration thing.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I know, read the last line of my post. I'm talking a temporary assignment, where I'd eventually return to the US, not a permanent immigration thing.
I'll be happy to look after them for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.