Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Google Maps - Awesome

New Google Maps - Awesome

Old Feb 15th 2005, 1:03 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Default New Google Maps - Awesome

At last, British directions :

Instead of

Turn Left onto Mark Rd - 0.6

Turn Right onto Main Dr - 0.8

I get confused after 30 of these as to whether it's 0.6 until mark rd or 0.6 once on mark rd. When someones reading it for you, all hell breaks lose

Google gives you :

Turn Left at Mark Rd - Go 0.6 miles

Turn Right at Main Dr - Go 0.8 miles

And the quality of the onscreen maps is out of this world. It's still Beta so they will be adding saved lists and all that but it'll quickly find all the restaurants or businesses on your map and when you click on it, it zooms into great detail. See what you think. It's certainly starting to look like the way maps are supposed to be :

www.maps.google.com
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:17 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Google Maps - Awesome

Nice one! Thanks for that link - that really is good. You can actually click and drag the maps. I'm going to have some fun tooling around on the dirt roads this weekend....
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:41 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

thats pretty cool cheers
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:43 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Trust Google to come up with a mapping application that is more user friendly. Haven't tried it for directions yet.

Thanks,

NC Penguin
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:46 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Trust Google to come up with a mapping application that is more user friendly. Haven't tried it for directions yet.
Thanks,
NC Penguin
It's definately lacking some of the finishing touches (like remembering what I typed) but it's sweet for their first Beta.

DOn't forget to submit feedback - they do listen...
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:47 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I just tried the directions from my place to my friends. It's a one mile drive with one turn but Google had me turning down six different streets which added on an extra mile and a half.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:11 pm
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by franc111s
At last, British directions :

Instead of

Turn Left onto Mark Rd - 0.6

Turn Right onto Main Dr - 0.8

I get confused after 30 of these as to whether it's 0.6 until mark rd or 0.6 once on mark rd. When someones reading it for you, all hell breaks lose

Google gives you :

Turn Left at Mark Rd - Go 0.6 miles

Turn Right at Main Dr - Go 0.8 miles

And the quality of the onscreen maps is out of this world. It's still Beta so they will be adding saved lists and all that but it'll quickly find all the restaurants or businesses on your map and when you click on it, it zooms into great detail. See what you think. It's certainly starting to look like the way maps are supposed to be :

www.maps.google.com

Nice one! Shame we cant get Ordnance survey type maps of the US too........or can we, anyone?
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:54 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Of all the road maps, nothing comes close to Microsoft Street & Trips for US and AutoExpress for EU. You can download contruction updates too. There are also several print versions.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
I just tried the directions from my place to my friends. It's a one mile drive with one turn but Google had me turning down six different streets which added on an extra mile and a half.
But it was the pretty route.. Sibs ...
Old Feb 15th 2005, 9:02 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
Hehe! Google's got a sense of humour!