Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Glasses?

New Glasses?

Old Feb 10th 2014, 12:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Glasses?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Do you have a triple AAA car breakdown membership, Bob?

I'm pretty sure that some of the regional AAA's offer discounts at certain opticians. (eg. the AAA for my zipcode gives a 30% discount at Lenscrafters, Pearle Vision, Sears Optical and Target Optical for 'complete pair eyewear, sunglasses, accessories and more') so it might be worth checking out for your local coverage:

http://aaa.com
Not anymore, it expired and we didn't bother with it on the current car. Chap at Target did say they don't ask to see the membership card, you just tell them you're a member and they give you the 30% discount.

I haven't seen a Pearle Vision in ages so I thought they had gone under or something. The local Sears is a case of either AAA or their discount but not both, which you can use at Target. Never even thought to ask Lenscrafters, but didn't really like their selection and even with a 30% discount, they're more expensive than the other places, especially for kids.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 12:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Get the dilated eye test. It's essentially a glucoma check. Appears we never do the dilated test in England, but it's done as a routine in MA.
Yeah, I can see a need for it in the elderly, or those with diabetes etc...but in kids and those who haven't had any issues?

My mother had it done, but then she's donkey of years old...left with wonky short vision for a few hours after, so you can't drive for a bit, which for me wouldn't be entirely ideal.

And it's only eye drops to dilate and then just a regular test pretty much isn't it? Just wondering why they're so much more expensive.

Oh and apart from the ophthalmologist places, Sears was the first one to mention offering it and the difference in price.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 12:38 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

I had the dilated eye test because I had posterior uveitis a few years ago. No fun. Well, neither was the eye test, but oh well.

By the way I just got a mail-order pair of glasses in and they're great; eyebuydirect.com was the site I used.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 3:37 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, I can see a need for it in the elderly, or those with diabetes etc...but in kids and those who haven't had any issues?
If you're over the age of 12 you should have a dilated eye test. Glucoma can affect young children / adults as well, though it is rare. I'll get you the exact details between the differences in test tomorrow.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Feb 10th 2014 at 3:54 am.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 11:05 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Get the dilated eye test. It's essentially a glucoma check. Appears we never do the dilated test in England, but it's done as a routine in MA.
No, a dilated exam is usually for retinal examination looking for evidence of diabetes or macular degeneration. It's also used to see how dense cataracts are. Tonometry is used for glaucoma (pressure checking) either with the air puff (not so good), applanation (gold standard) or the newer type where a small probe is bounced off the cornea. Some ophthalmologists will use a dilated exam to do gonioscopy , but dilating the iris actually raises the IOP so not all do as a routine. (20+ years as an ophthalmic technician taught me a few things about eyes)
Old Feb 10th 2014, 2:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No, a dilated exam is usually for retinal examination looking for evidence of diabetes or macular degeneration. It's also used to see how dense cataracts are. Tonometry is used for glaucoma (pressure checking) either with the air puff (not so good), applanation (gold standard) or the newer type where a small probe is bounced off the cornea. Some ophthalmologists will use a dilated exam to do gonioscopy , but dilating the iris actually raises the IOP so not all do as a routine. (20+ years as an ophthalmic technician taught me a few things about eyes)
So worth the extra money or not? And is it a lot more involved for a test or not? Just curious really.

I think the kid could perhaps blag it on the medical insurance if the doc refers her, but don't think it's included in our eye balls insurance.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 3:07 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No, a dilated exam is usually for retinal examination looking for evidence of diabetes or macular degeneration.
I've just checked with a close family member who works in this area and they state:

"It's for everything! Glaucoma, macular degeneration, as well as checking for systemic diseases like diabetes, hypothyroidism, cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc"

I'm informed that your insurance should usually cover this type of eye exam, she was very surprised that it wouldn't.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Feb 10th 2014 at 3:10 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 3:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I'm informed that your insurance should usually cover this type of eye exam, she was very surprised that it wouldn't.
It is always very carefully pointed out to me that insurance does not cover the glaucoma test when I have my annual eye exam (done at an MD's office), and I have to initial my understanding of this fact on my file.

As to driving home afterwards with dilated eyes, it never fails to amaze me that the doctor finds it appropriate to send me out into the world in dark glasses to drive home, whereas I definitely see better after two glasses of wine!
Old Feb 10th 2014, 3:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
It is always very carefully pointed out to me that insurance does not cover the glaucoma test when I have my annual eye exam (done at an MD's office), and I have to initial my understanding of this fact on my file.
That's quite concerning that they don't cover it, especially given glucoma is so potent and devastating to people.

As to driving home afterwards with dilated eyes, it never fails to amaze me that the doctor finds it appropriate to send me out into the world in dark glasses to drive home, whereas I definitely see better after two glasses of wine!
Only your short vision is affected. Your long range vision (ie, that you use for driving) remains unaffected. You should bring sunglasses after the dilation though, that's for sure!
Old Feb 10th 2014, 3:25 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Only your short vision is affected. Your long range vision (ie, that you use for driving) remains unaffected. You should bring sunglasses after the dilation though, that's for sure!
It is one of Murphy's Laws that even if it has been a dull day, the sun will emerge with dazzling brightness just as I leave the office, so I have a specially dark pair of sunglasses for the occasion. I still can't see worth a damn though, whatever is being affected!
Old Feb 10th 2014, 3:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

It's our first year we've had eye ball insurance since we lived in Maine and it won't cover the extra test and because we've got eye ball, medical insurance won't cover anything to do with regular eye test, but I've not checked about the extra test for us. We do know that they would for the kids as long as there's a PCP referral.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:46 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I had some kind of image taken this time rather than getting dilated. Much better! It cost me $40 (not covered by insurance) but was happy to pay it to be honest.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 10:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Just an update to this.

Turns out our vision is through VSP as a bolt on to Aetna....and they're shit. At least where I live as there aren't many places to go for a eye test with decent collection of glasses.

It got me a free eye test if I bought glasses at the place or it was a $20 co-pay.

If I got the glasses at the place, they would be $165 off but nearly every pair was $250-450 range so not great.

Plastic lenses were free and there was a 30% discount on the bolt ons such as poly carb, thin lenses, anti-glare etc. So at the moment, with a sale going on, the poly carb was going to be $70 on top.

Ended up going to BJ's for the glasses. They didn't have the original pair I liked, but had a back up that I did.

Their get two frame/lenses for $99 deal ended up costing me $200 for one pair as most of their frames were in the $150 ball park and the ones in the deal were under $120 so you paid the difference.

Thin, polycarb with the anit-glare stuff added about $60 or so a pop and getting only one pair of glasses was 40% off.

I do get a refund from insurance for about $65 though...but they don't make it easy to figure out.

Anyway, a couple weeks for the glasses to get done....don't seem to be much in the way of quick one hour glass places around where I am.

Edit: Just to add, it seems once you get down to the nitty and gritty, after all the deals and discounts....the fuzzy maths in the brick and mortar put most glasses in the $250-450 kind of range, for anything that isn't a thick, heavy coke bottle old school lens that would have you squinting at every bright light.

Online is definitely the way to go for a spare set :/

Last edited by Bob; Apr 5th 2014 at 10:57 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Just an update to this.

Turns out our vision is through VSP as a bolt on to Aetna....and they're shit. At least where I live as there aren't many places to go for a eye test with decent collection of glasses.

It got me a free eye test if I bought glasses at the place or it was a $20 co-pay.

If I got the glasses at the place, they would be $165 off but nearly every pair was $250-450 range so not great.

Plastic lenses were free and there was a 30% discount on the bolt ons such as poly carb, thin lenses, anti-glare etc. So at the moment, with a sale going on, the poly carb was going to be $70 on top.

Ended up going to BJ's for the glasses. They didn't have the original pair I liked, but had a back up that I did.

Their get two frame/lenses for $99 deal ended up costing me $200 for one pair as most of their frames were in the $150 ball park and the ones in the deal were under $120 so you paid the difference.

Thin, polycarb with the anit-glare stuff added about $60 or so a pop and getting only one pair of glasses was 40% off.

I do get a refund from insurance for about $65 though...but they don't make it easy to figure out.

Anyway, a couple weeks for the glasses to get done....don't seem to be much in the way of quick one hour glass places around where I am.

Edit: Just to add, it seems once you get down to the nitty and gritty, after all the deals and discounts....the fuzzy maths in the brick and mortar put most glasses in the $250-450 kind of range, for anything that isn't a thick, heavy coke bottle old school lens that would have you squinting at every bright light.

Online is definitely the way to go for a spare set :/
I just got a new pair with VSP, it came to about $350 which I thought wasn't bad for varifocals, thin, with all the coatings and Transitions.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

just avoid Lenscrafters like the plague.... would never use them again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.