Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Glasses?

New Glasses?

Old Jan 15th 2014, 4:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Glasses?

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
It's so easy these days you can do it at home...

http://www.lasikathome.com/index.html
Laser eye surgery you can do at home.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 10:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Would be a option if one existed, but there aren't any locally. There was a couple in our old neck of the woods, but that's a bit of a hike and they weren't cheap either.
Just discovered there is one, out behind the manky strip mall on the other end of town.

It's apparently really good for kids and kids selections according to a couple of parents I spoke too, but none of them rated it that great for selection of adult glasses....oh well. Will go check it out some time
Old Jan 17th 2014, 6:37 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Costco.
+1
Old Jan 17th 2014, 6:43 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I always get my eye exam done by my own Optometrist who I've been going to for 20 years. I needed new glasses AND frames this time (just a few months ago), so I got the prescription from him and shopped around.

Last time I got glasses (nearly 6 years ago) was at Costco and I was very satisfied with the price and the equipment back then.

This time, I wanted new frames, too. After MUCH shopping around and researching online, I finally went with a local small business called Eye-magination for the frames. They were the only ones I found I really liked, plus I wanted the kind that come with magnetic clip-on sun shades.

I almost went back to Costco for the lenses, but after doing some research and talking to others, it seems there really is a difference in quality of progressive lens materials, and Costco uses the lowest quality. I opted to pay more and got the lenses done back at my Optometrist's office, as they gave me a discount for already being a customer. I was amazed at the result...crystal clear, with the widened area of vision. I could really notice the difference.

I do not have vision insurance. Overall, for the exam, frames, and lenses, I paid about $750. But these now should last me at least a good 5 years, if not more. My vision has pretty much stopped changing, and I take very good care of my glasses.

Rene
I get my progressive lenses at Costco and I'm really happy with them.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 10:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Just discovered there is one, out behind the manky strip mall on the other end of town.

It's apparently really good for kids and kids selections according to a couple of parents I spoke too, but none of them rated it that great for selection of adult glasses....oh well. Will go check it out some time
I was thinking, distance is all relative, and my "local" optician is about six miles away. I have come to think of that as "local" compared to in the UK I could drive from, say, my mother's house (where I grew up), out of town, past miles of green belt, and a local airport, and most of the way into the next town in six miles!
Old Jan 17th 2014, 11:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that's been hard to get from the brick and mortar places is costs, they all mumble about accepting the insurance for the eye test and saying it varies.

Walmart were at least good at cost, frames plus lenses, which for polycarb and anti-gloss was $110 and that's the pair of lenses, unlike another place which was price per lens but they wouldn't say what the actual cost of the basic lenses were, just the bolt on bits like anti-glare.

Not making it easy for comparing prices, which at least the online places are good about.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 11:36 pm

The online prices for glasses with progressive lenses were more than what I paid at Costco.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

cynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
One thing that's been hard to get from the brick and mortar places is costs, they all mumble about accepting the insurance for the eye test and saying it varies.

Walmart were at least good at cost, frames plus lenses, which for polycarb and anti-gloss was $110 and that's the pair of lenses, unlike another place which was price per lens but they wouldn't say what the actual cost of the basic lenses were, just the bolt on bits like anti-glare.

Not making it easy for comparing prices, which at least the online places are good about.
My husband, who has used glasses since he was 8 (and he's 58 now), swears by http://www.americasbest.com/save-mon...FaE1QgodclAA1g
They do 2 pairs, including a free eye exam for $69.99. Last year I bought a pair of progressives from them ; I used them for a month but could not get used to them and they did a full refund without any hassles.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 11:52 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
The online prices for glasses with progressive lenses were more than what I paid at Costco.
Not surprised Costco were cheaper. In 20 odd years of wearing progressive lenses both here and in the UK, Costco lenses are by far the worst I've had. The width of the distortion band down the edges of the Costco lens was the widest I have experienced with this type of lens.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 12:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

And how much extra were they?
Old Jan 18th 2014, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by lansbury
Not surprised Costco were cheaper. In 20 odd years of wearing progressive lenses both here and in the UK, Costco lenses are by far the worst I've had. The width of the distortion band down the edges of the Costco lens was the widest I have experienced with this type of lens.
I've never had a problem with them. Maybe it's the lab where yours were made.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Bob
And how much extra were they?
They were $40 more. That wasn't including scratchproof glass lenses ( I hate plastic) Transitions so they would turn into sunglasses, lightweight and thinner lens.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 1:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

They were $40 more. That wasn't including scratchproof glass lenses ( I hate plastic) Transitions so they would turn into sunglasses, lightweight and thinner lens.
That seems pretty standard from what I'm finding out at the mo. Big costs tend to be the polycarb for scratchproof, transition type thing and then thinner lenses with anti-glare being the cheaper bolt on.

So folks with transitions, how crap do you find them in practice?

I like the idea behind them, but I only really want tints when I'm driving and they don't work in the car as the UV is already absorbed by the window and temperature affects the speed/tint of the tint, so wonder how well they work in the cold?
Old Jan 18th 2014, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Bob
That seems pretty standard from what I'm finding out at the mo. Big costs tend to be the polycarb for scratchproof, transition type thing and then thinner lenses with anti-glare being the cheaper bolt on.

So folks with transitions, how crap do you find them in practice?

I like the idea behind them, but I only really want tints when I'm driving and they don't work in the car as the UV is already absorbed by the window and temperature affects the speed/tint of the tint, so wonder how well they work in the cold?
I love them. I like not having to have an extra pair of prescription sunglasses
Old Jan 18th 2014, 6:45 am
Just Joined

CKB40 is an unknown quantity at this point

My family all use Warby Parker, we have had four pairs from them and have been excellent every time.
Great, free, try on service online before you buy. $95-$125 depending on lens and 30 no quibble returns.
Quick turnaround too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.