Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Glasses?

New Glasses?

Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Glasses?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A local optician. The service is good and I get speak to someone who knows what he's talking about, not a technician who can operate a computerised machine.

Same for me. Have worn glasses since age 12 and won't go any other way.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

zennioptical.com

Fraction of the optometrist's price and good customer service!

As long as you get your PD (pupiliary distance) from the doctor tht administers the eye exam, you're golden.

I pay well under $100 for progressive photochromic lenses with a decent quality frame. Straight single-vision starts at $6.95 with a flat $5 shipping and they take about 4 weeks to arrive, Thoroughly recommended.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
She laughed so hard I was shocked, and looked straight at me and said, "Honey. How old are you again?" Oh boy.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

Some of my friends have been using Warby Parker (www.warbyparker.com/) which charge about $100 for frames and anti-reflective lenses. Plus they have this free try before you buy option, where they mail you 5 sets of frames of your choice, and you're given a week to test out which ones you like the best before you make your decision.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
zennioptical.com

Fraction of the optometrist's price and good customer service!

As long as you get your PD (pupiliary distance) from the doctor tht administers the eye exam, you're golden.

I pay well under $100 for progressive photochromic lenses with a decent quality frame. Straight single-vision starts at $6.95 with a flat $5 shipping and they take about 4 weeks to arrive, Thoroughly recommended.
That was the site I'd seen before and was thinking of. So you're pretty happy with them and the quality of the glasses?

I still like to try stuff on though, which is my big worry about then not finding the frame online at places like this.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SalopianFunk
Some of my friends have been using Warby Parker (www.warbyparker.com/) which charge about $100 for frames and anti-reflective lenses. Plus they have this free try before you buy option, where they mail you 5 sets of frames of your choice, and you're given a week to test out which ones you like the best before you make your decision.
Oh that sounds pretty good and free return shipping. Wonder if they take insurance...will have a poke around
Old Jan 14th 2014, 11:00 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 14th 2014, 11:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Had laser treatment 14 years ago.

Just had to buy my first pair of prescription readers...got them from Costco.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I've used LensCrafters. More from a convenience perspective, but I am unimpressed by the choice and value for money compared to uk brands such as Boots opticians, Specsavers and vision express. (Another long term speccy four eyes). For the price LensCrafters charge I would expect much higher quality frames and lenses, and the range they carry seems really small in both number and range of styles and fashions.

I've looked at the online store but am not convinced that they'd turn out ok for all the measurements. However seems like it might be worth the risk for a back up pair.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 12:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

If you're paying!

I'm leaning towards one of the chain places for the deals going on what I can get on the insurance and probably something online for a cheapo pair of tinted lenses for the car as I hate wearing sunglasses but with the snow/ice around, kind of need them at times and if the kid needs a set as a back up for her.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd bloody love to have laser surgery as I hate wearing glasses, but I'm just too squeamish. I can't even put contacts in my eyes. I did nearly pull te trigger on a consultation a few years back...... until I watched the procedure on YouTube which put me off for life!
Old Jan 15th 2014, 1:00 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I got it done two years ago and it was great. On the other hand Poppy Girl had a terrible experience. I've got no suggestions on glasses though, sorry.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I got it done two years ago and it was great. On the other hand Poppy Girl had a terrible experience. I've got no suggestions on glasses though, sorry.
It's so easy these days you can do it at home...

http://www.lasikathome.com/index.html
Old Jan 15th 2014, 2:26 am
The worse half of Weeze

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
It's so easy these days you can do it at home...

http://www.lasikathome.com/index.html
And has been since 2006 - how did I miss that!
Old Jan 15th 2014, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That was the site I'd seen before and was thinking of. So you're pretty happy with them and the quality of the glasses?

I still like to try stuff on though, which is my big worry about then not finding the frame online at places like this.
Yes I would. You DO lose to opportunity to try them on (although there's a virtual 'try on' on the site where you upload your pic and superimpose the frames onto it), but the prices can't be beat!

I wear contacts, so I only use glasses when I take them out, but my wife is a full-time glasses wearer and we get a couple of pairs a year for her (we don't have vision insurance). The prices being so low means that we can do that and even have different pairs for different uses (progressive for general use, single vision for driving or reading and she even has a pair for working on the computer!).

I've had to make one return in all the years we've been using Zenni and that was my fault. I got the PD wrong and couldn't wear the glasses at all. Zenni were generous enough to take them back and, after establishing that they made them per the Rx, refunded me 50% of the cost!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.