British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   <---- New Girl (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/new-girl-763259/)

YaffT Jun 29th 2012 12:29 am

<---- New Girl

hello all,

I am living in the wretched state of Alabama.
I tend to get a bit homesick, though Ive been here a decade now.
Haven't been home to visit for six years now.

Was married to an American. Happily divorced. :)

How about you lot??? What's your story??

Bob Jun 29th 2012 1:18 am

Re: <---- New Girl

Welcome to BE :)

So what's keeping you in Alabama? :D

YaffT Jun 29th 2012 2:04 am

three children born here and a clause in the divorce papers keep me here. Makes relocating a bit difficult, for now.

Mummy in the foothills Jun 29th 2012 2:23 am

Originally Posted by YaffT (Post 10145234)
three children born here and a clause in the divorce papers keep me here. Makes relocating a bit difficult, for now.

Poor you. :(
Welcome.

YaffT Jun 29th 2012 3:08 am

Aww, thanx mummy in the foothills.

what brings you here, to the US?

Mummy in the foothills Jun 29th 2012 4:16 am

Originally Posted by YaffT (Post 10145289)
Aww, thanx mummy in the foothills.

what brings you here, to the US?

Love. Aren't we stupid :lol:

Nutek Jun 29th 2012 11:45 am

Welcome. :)

Not sure what Alabama is like (never been). What is it you don't like..? Or is being stuck there just making it seem worse?

civilservant Jun 29th 2012 11:49 am

:welcome:

The only experiance of AL I have is their 'welcome to' sign on the state border having bullet holes in it.

I won't be going in.

Nutek Jun 29th 2012 11:50 am

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10145793)
:welcome:

The only experiance of AL I have is their 'welcome to' sign on the state border having bullet holes in it.

I didn't go in.

Top Gear had a fun time there I think. :lol:

Guindalf Jun 29th 2012 12:30 pm

Yeah, just ask Clarkson, Hammond and May about Alabama!

We're in neighbouring GA and parts of that can be just as bad.

Welcome to the forum.

Karrie72 Jun 29th 2012 12:44 pm

Welcome and you sound a bit stuck. Any chance you can get back for a visit soon?

Rete Jun 29th 2012 1:13 pm

My hubby and my oldest daughter and her family all live in Mississippi. A bit better than Alabama but not by a lot.

civilservant Jun 29th 2012 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 10145841)
Yeah, just ask Clarkson, Hammond and May about Alabama!

We're in neighbouring GA and parts of that can be just as bad.

Welcome to the forum.

Which part of GA Guindalf? I shall be a resident of Commerce (about 90 minutes northeast of ATL) from February.

SultanOfSwing Jun 29th 2012 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by YaffT (Post 10145234)

Does the clause keep you in the state, or just the country?

That's the worst feeling though, the feeling that you are trapped. I have children here too (one stepson, one daughter that is mine) and I know if my wife and I end up separated I'm basically trapped too. Can't go back home again or I'll never see my daughter.

nun Jun 29th 2012 2:55 pm

I suppose the children are a mixed blessing, wonderful, but they keep you in AL.

I lived in MD when I was married. I'm now divorced and glad that there weren't any children. I now live in MA.......wouldn't live anywhere else in the USA

Guindalf Jun 29th 2012 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10145912)
Which part of GA Guindalf? I shall be a resident of Commerce (about 90 minutes northeast of ATL) from February.

Literally just up the road! I live in Habersham County (with a Toccoa mailing address) and I work in Cornelia - about 20-30 minutes from Banks Crossing (Commerce)!

Let me know when you get here. We'll have to get together. :)

Where in the UK are you from? Feel free to PM me if you'd rather talk privately - or exchange email addresses.

SpoogleDrummer Jun 29th 2012 4:58 pm

Depends on where in Alabama you go. I live right on the TN/AL border and my wife has been nagging at me to move to the Gulf Shores area.

Lion in Winter Jun 29th 2012 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10146092)
Does the clause keep you in the state, or just the country?

That's the worst feeling though, the feeling that you are trapped. I have children here too (one stepson, one daughter that is mine) and I know if my wife and I end up separated I'm basically trapped too. Can't go back home again or I'll never see my daughter.

It's almost certainly the state, since divorces are granted by the state. It is practically automatic that one parent cannot take the child out of the state without the express permission of the other, and in some cases the state is very funny about it even with permission. Actually moving out of state is usually right out.

scrubbedexpat097 Jun 30th 2012 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10146800)
It's almost certainly the state, since divorces are granted by the state. It is practically automatic that one parent cannot take the child out of the state without the express permission of the other, and in some cases the state is very funny about it even with permission. Actually moving out of state is usually right out.

Around here even moving to another county is often not allowed when it is joint custody

Lion in Winter Jun 30th 2012 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 10146848)
Around here even moving to another county is often not allowed when it is joint custody

Well it is Texas. Your counties are probably as big as many states.

scrubbedexpat097 Jun 30th 2012 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10146882)
Well it is Texas. Your counties are probably as big as many states.

True:o

YaffT Jul 1st 2012 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10146800)

Very much correct. To explain it to everyone..I have to give the ex 45 days notice if I leave the state with the children. He has 45 days to appeal it in court. And he will, because he's a right git. It won't really be about the children (never is) it's about him having control. Now if I had a job waiting for me in another state, no judge would say no, I cannot go. However, what job would wait 3-4 months of me battling in court?? They wouldn't, so ...I'm stuck.

Alabama is....well...........I highly dislike it. The people are........uneducated in a wordly sense and proud to be. They like their close mindedness. Great offense is taken to the slightest against Nascar, NFL, hunting, or the like, just by saying it isnt one of your hobbys or greatest life's ambition.
I'm constantly asked if I am from Australia. Even had one to argue with me on it. Said I didn't sound English. I asked, "have you ever been to Australia?" Their reply, "no."
"Have you ever been to England?"
Again, "No."
"And you are an expert on my speech?"

I've had one say, (imagine with most horrid nasal drawl possible), "Londawn, ain't that like a ceety in Pawris?"

"Erm, no. London is the capital of England. Paris is the capital of France."

And she smiled quite proud of herself, "I knowed it was one dem!"

And there is always the, "you shore do talk purdy."

FFS...that gets very old,hearing time and again.

Not mention it is sooo hot here! Like 37-38 C here this weekend.

I sound very horrid, but trust me, it is a horrid place.
Hospitality they speak of, is only for their small towns and families..which are one in the same.